Thread: Public Order

Default Public Order

How does this work? this seems totally different from M2TW. There are two fields/ratings now?

Default Re: Public Order

One is nobility and then the common folks. I have no clue as to how it works really... East Prussia 15 turns in is 22/23... Brandenburg is 5/3. I have the same units in each city... I haven't taxed Brandenburg in 4 turns and yet nothing changes, I can't figure out why they're acting up in Berlin.
    Remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!

Tool tip over the Unrest panel and see what the causes are. Just move your mouse and READ THE TEXT. Probably a mix of taxation, probably a mix of religious unrest and clamor for reform, a result of technologies, ministers and structures in the region.

Thanks for the tip, now lets say I find the problem... whats the solution for say... clamor for reform? Prussia is an absolute monarchy.
    Remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!

Miles

The solution is to become a republic via revolution in your faction capital region - well that's one solution. People in a republic will still want reform, but not so much as under absolute monarchy.

(You could throw constitutional monarchy into the mix, but you need to revolt twice for that so its more involved).

If you want to remain absolute monarchy, it becomes progressively harder to manage, especially if you build colleges and universities and research enlightenment technology because all those things will make your people want reform more.

There are three active efforts you can undertake and two passive efforts for clamor for reform.

1. Increase the garrison size. Dragoons give you a bonus to policing. I recommend these, but any infantry unit will work.

2. Decrease or exempt taxes.

3. Change ministers, as many may have modifiers to clamor for reform; look out for jugheads and ministers that have unrest modifiers to lower classes.

Passive:

1. Remove offending structures such as colleges/universities.

2. Counter with happiness buildings such as bawdy houses or church schools, a few other buildings increase happiness, but to very small degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by hugorune View Post
    The solution is to become a republic via revolution in your faction capital region - well that's one solution. People in a republic will still want reform, but not so much as under absolute monarchy.

(You could throw constitutional monarchy into the mix, but you need to revolt twice for that so its more involved).

If you want to remain absolute monarchy, it becomes progressively harder to manage, especially if you build colleges and universities and research enlightenment technology because all those things will make your people want reform more.
    Anything that is titled "clamor for reform" will not affect republics - ie all the techs you research from philosophy. Educational institutions still will affect them - but it appears it does it at a reduced rate. For example, in my early France game I have 3 colleges and a classical university in the region of France. This should result in 3 * 4 + 5 = 17. Since each college decreases happiness by 4, and the university by 5. Currently, however, the region is receiving 7/8 unhappiness from clamor for reform. 7 or 8 is a long way from 17. In areas with single educational buildings it is lower than the stated value, abeit at a difference ratio.

I managed to remain absolute monarchy as Ottomans and researching all the techs jsut by building TONS of coffee shops. But it's true, if you have a school region, it's best to focus on that region as a..school region, and not put any sort of manufacturing/etc there.

If you're Empire is big, say Russia or GB...a 'clamour for reform' unrest in the public is put down by burning the universities in the region and replacing them with industry. This in time will be followed by an outcry of 'too much industry'. Then you either garrison a unit in the city or burn the industry and replace them with inns, bars, pleasure gardens, theaters etc etc. You can afford to do this in some areas if you have enough income from the less troublesome ones. But don't go too far to please the people or you will cripple your economy. I have also burned any food supply in the region ie. farms or fishing ports and starved them out. No one to complain= no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Starvosk View Post
    I managed to remain absolute monarchy as Ottomans and researching all the techs jsut by building TONS of coffee shops. But it's true, if you have a school region, it's best to focus on that region as a..school region, and not put any sort of manufacturing/etc there.
    You *can* stay as a monarchy for the entirety of the game. Converting to a republic, however, will make things easier in the long run. You're actually able to use all your free slots for industry. Combined with the philosophy techs its a huge difference in mid-late game income. Not to mention you can toss down 4 schools off the bat in your capital and get your tech done quickly.

There's certainly factions that you'd want to keep as absolute monarchy for historical flavor. The Ottomans are probably one of them (and are actually more difficult to turn, since their capital doesn't start off with any towns)...and certainly Austria. In those cases it provides an interesting challenge (as you watch the horizon fill with pleasure grounds and churches) of managing happiness around your regions and ruthlessly crushing revolts.

absolute monarchy is easy. schools only in regions that have potential 3 building slots at least. 1 for school, 2 for entertainment. You can start with 1 and 1, but region that will have modern university will for sure need 2 entertainment buildings as together with enlightenment you will really have problem with lower class. Hire ministers who have Status Quo trait. It lessens clamor for reform. NEVER build more then 1 school per region. Even if it seems like a good idea in the beginning due to bonus of Observatory. Even nation capital will have trouble with clamor for reform from 2 classical universities. In reality, you only need 3 schools, each specialized in its own area. Anything more is overkill as you will clear research tree half way through campaign anyway. Try to avoid researching military tech in the same place as enlightenment. Some traits/aux gentlemen get are good for one and bad for another. If you follow this and offset things properly, you will have pretty happy population even after researching full enlightenment tree.

In my opinion starting a revolution is a lot easier. Basically what I did to start one was just keep my schools, keep trying to quench rebellions, and don't try to appease the people but don't make them excessively angry. Also, keep the garrison low at the capital so it is easier to capture once you do rebel. Once the capital starts to mutiny and quit working, you'll know that rebellion is inevitable. When my revolution started, all my cities started to rebel and they asked which side so I chose the Rebels side. Then you take the rebellion regiment and conquer the capital. This does wonders for your public order. In most of my cities it was 20/20 (middle class/lowerclass) except the newly conquered ones which was still like (8/5).