Thread: How much is known about the datafiles for unit stats?

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Default How much is known about the datafiles for unit stats?

As a historically inclined person am I feeling that the Swedish unit roster is completly unplayable... They are essentially a british rip off with a worthless 17th century cavalry unit. I am not a graphical designer but I am willing to settle for creating my own "quick fix" where I tweak the stats and names of the available units while I am waiting for a better mod.

What I am wondering:

Is there a single txt file that handles all the unit stats that I can browse through and tweak at my leisure? And where is this file located?

Is the availability of units handled like in MTWII and is this located in an easily accesable location?

Can units be added to the txt file without any trouble?

Default Re: How much is known about the datafiles for unit stats?

I heard ETW files are encrypted.
    So what's happening on that front?

I have had a look through some files for empire and cant find anything like the ones for rome that made it very easy and simple to change and alter stuff. Then again MTW2 was priti much a pain in the arse and imo way harder to make changes then rome was, by the looks of things either CA or saga seem to want to limit what we do with the game.

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

yet they said etw would be easy to mod, so I don't think they would go back on that

unless SEGA has infiltrated CA and corrupted their minds ^-^

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

I think from what I've heard that given the way they encrypted the files, once they released the modding tools (which they said they would do) the game will be MUCH more moddable, in more ways, than any previous TW. Until then, though, we're boned.

x
    Last edited by clone141166; September 22, 2011 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaunty14 View Post
    yet they said etw would be easy to mod, so I don't think they would go back on that

unless SEGA has infiltrated CA and corrupted their minds ^-^
    No, they said it'd be more moddable, but harder to mod.
    Sometimes I live in the country.
    Sometimes I live in the town.
    Sometimes I get this great notion
    To jump in the river and drown.

May I suggest to take a look at this very informative thread in the modding discussions: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=232641

It will be easy to MOD, steam will release a retail MOD pack for $99.99 US and expect you to own it before playing any MOD of the game you already bought. It seems CA may have missed the mark if they are not allowing easy MODing if thier game. The shelf life is so long on thier games, only because of the great efforts (done free) of this entire community. I hope they have a change of heart and allow for easy mod creation. Good luck to all the contributors and creators of mod'. I give you all extra REP++ for your efforts. Boooo to CA and Steam (aka STEAMing pile of $h^t)...respect
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]