Thread: [ETW AAR] Our Mother Russia

Default [ETW AAR] Our Mother Russia

Hey guys. This is my first post on these forums. This thread will be dedicated to my first ever campaign in Empire: Total War. This is, in fact, the first ever time I have ever played a game like ETW. So in this thread, you will see lots of things: The very best and worst of being a newbie when it comes to a game, but also, perhaps, a creative perspective on this game that goes just beyond the raw numbers and battle reports.

I am a history major with a particular affinity for the 18th and 19th centuries, and so this game is right up my ally -- indeed why I have encountered it now and have not played the series earlier. I am going to try to present this campaign with a "historical" perspective, as if telling a story from the view of events happening in that moment, though, also -- events you would read in a history book. That said, I don't want to make it boring, and beyond just that, because I have literally only played games like this for a few hours now, I want my mistakes and the mistakes of my nation to be a part of the story too. Anyway, I hope you enjoy, and I expect plenty of constructive criticism and encouragement as well.

Without further ado...

Our Mother Russia

Our Mother Russia Campaign Quick Links

Spring 1700 - Summer 1703

Summer 1703 - Winter 1704

It was 1700.

A chaotic world had swelled, its mighty powers in a race to expand their empires across a constantly evolving globe. Much of Europe has focused its energies on the growth of their naval fleets to establish influence in the New World, a New World that, due to the endless thirst for imperialism from those nations, had aged very quickly.

Meanwhile, Old Mother Russia has grown tired and weary, quietly calling out for reformation from the conservative guard of the past; from the outdated Russia that relied on its tradition of Religion and its vast lands to protect it from invaders and foreign emperors. The Russian citizens are lit with curiosity of the teachings of modern Europe and the New World -- the teachings of an integration between religion and a man's conscience: to think and choose for himself, at least internally. To question, if only in his head, the legitimacy of government, and manhood and beyond.

This is the Russian nation. A vast swath of mountainous winter lands and stretching valleys, patchworks of civilization busily about from spot to spot.

A country that, in 1700, starts with no Naval ports -- no ships, let alone fleets. Nearly entirely self-sustaining and otherwise reliant only on the shaky trade agreements of sometimes less-than-friendly neighboring nations. But this is a new time, a new Russia. One that will look outside itself and go beyond its own borders, willingly, to spread its outlook on the world. To form an Empire.

To the North is Russia's first great mission in this campaign, and, simultaneously, its first great obstacle. Russian advisers instructed their government, though it would seem common sense regardless, that a main goal of the country in widening its influence would be to establish naval trade via the Baltic Sea to the North. This waterway is the quickest and most efficient gateway to the powers of Europe and their vast resources. Sweden, however, stakes considerable claim to this territory and has every intention of using the Baltic to manifest an Empire of their own.

Further, then, comes the issue of Naval Technology. Russia is not yet ready to set sail, as it can not safely construct ships nor docks to harbor them.

Nevertheless, relations with Sweden will be paramount in finding safe passage through the Baltic. Although Russia has its own beaches and land bordering, there, Sweden could, at its own discretion, block the ability of Russia to ever reach the western side of Europe. As the depths of Winter 1700 rolled on, it became apparent that improving relations between Russia and Sweden may be paramount in helping Russia eventually establish trade there.

The St. Petersburg Trade Agreement of 1700
    Involving: Sweden and Russia

Sweden and Russia accept a trade agreement, and Sweden receives $1000 in exchange for accepting the agreement.

But creating a feeling of goodwill among nations is not, as the new leadership felt, Russia's only responsibility. It must too expel the tiresome corruption of the old order -- to streamline and improve the operations of the government, and, at worst, to give its citizens a new found sense of hope that they are not merely machines at the whim of the nation.

The first casualty of this new outlook was the corrupt Treasury Minister, who, despite a deep expertise, inexplicably sank into the dark side of his own whims and cost his country both wealth and prosperity. In his stead was Adrian Rostovtzeff, a brash and daring future leader of the nation who helped write the St. Petersburg Trade agreement. At a ceremony in Moscow, Rostovtzeff, freshly instilled in office, spoke of his outlook of his Mother Russia:

Adrian Rostovtzeff:

"Colleagues, guests. Many of you know of the predicament Our Mother Russia finds herself in today, and for future days. We look forward, to this new time in history when expansion is as expedient as it is rewarding. And yet we balance this with our glorious Russian tradition -- of Orthodoxy, of unquestioning strength and resolve in our culture and creator. The true Christian nation and holy land. Yet now, when it matters most, we must ask ourselves this fundamental question. Are we willing to accept the cracks of corruption of the old that come with that pride of tradition? Are we willing to forsake our futures and the futures of our young Russians to have faith not only in God, but in the plight of man? Today, as your new Treasury Minister, I say no. Today, I say we stop with the paranoid over-fortication of our cities, we expand and develop the technology to take to the seas, and at last, at long last, we look to the people of our country. It has long been asked if history could solve this question of government and commerce: Will a nation come to give its citizens the opportunity to stand on its own accord in business and economy, and to hold us up as a country from their very shoulders...that our glory might be theirs, and in turn, our damnation."

As Russia entered 1701, unsettling news reached Moscow. Sweden had become aggressors against Denmark, and worse, had declared war on them. A longstanding alliance had existed between Denmark, Poland-Lithuania, and Russia; one committed long before the new regime had come to power. And Russia now, just as it had settled the landmark trade agreement with Sweden was now to make a choice: do we forsake that to come to the aid of our friends, or do we look toward our own interests and the immediacy of the future.

What would it say of Russia if it abandoned its friends, those who had vowed to be there for each other when help was needed most? But Russia had said for an entire year that it intended to build itself as though looking toward the future, and the future was the waters, and the waters required the Baltic Sea to be available, something that would never come to pass if Russia took up arms in defense of Denmark against Sweden. Doing so could delay Russia's trade expansion in the Baltic by generations. Thus, ultimately, Russia broke their alliance with Denmark, leaving them to fend for themselves. But a cautious Russia now looked at Sweden swinging wildly at smaller nations, and fears it could someday meet a similar fate. Who would stand to defend Russia but Russia after this abandonment?

Nevertheless, in hopes of improving further relations with Sweden, and assuring them of our neutrality in their conflict, an emissary, a gentlemen was sent to St. Petersburg to discuss the matters of the day.

Meanwhile, in the middle lands, Austria has become peculiarly belligerent, even towards its friends. A once strong alliance is broken, as the United Provinces feels it can no longer trust Austria, who have become a sinister aggressor on the European continent. Shortly after, Austrian troops converge at the Southern border of Prussia, and take to war. Their first swipe at imperialism has begun.

Austro-Prussian War of 1701

The rest of 1701 moves forward for Russia without much of a story. Rumors in the southeastern quarter circle amongs rurals and village people that the Georgians are assembling on behalf of the Ottoman Empire. The Russians and Ottomans are old foes -- bitter enemies jockeying for position in the world's most inhospitable contintent. To the east of the Ottoman were the Crimeans, who Russian had always known were on the Ottomans side. But Georgia was, for the most part, a non-aggressor. A thin mountain chain separated Russia's southeastern corridor from the small Georgian nation, and its considerable lack of military threat meant that Russian did not necessarily need to pay it much mind. But, if Georgia was to move, it would almost certainly move under the aid of the Ottoman Empire, and if they did, they could sweep in on Don Voisk, a southern Russian stronghold, and using that backdoor have a clear road through the Ukraine and into Moscow.

1702 begins with a diplomatic bang. A military treaty with the United Provinces falls through. Russia had great hopes that the two nations could come to terms, which would further establish future relations for the Russian naval effort, and would replace the lost Austrian ally for the Dutch.

The year also sees the beginning of the fortication of Kiev, Ukraine. This Russian city represented the absolute frontline against the Ottoman. It was a dire necessity to use it as a military stronghold. If the Ottoman were ever to invade, these men would rise to the cause first. And so the construction of an Army Encampment began.

Just as military became the focus in the Ukraine, the necessity for military to be the focus became apparent in the southeast. The rumors of the Georgians moving were true, and a small cavalry unit of 30 men assembled near a Georgia mountain town, just as the Russian-Georgia border. In response, a few regiments of Infantry with picketts in their lead were set up against the other side of the mountain to trail the Georgia calvaries movements.

Just a few months later, forward picketts returned to their infantry regiments to report that their worst fears had happened: The Georgian cavalry regiment had crossed the border along the narrow beaches at the tip of the mountain chain and into Russian land. At the same time, a courrier from Georgia arrived in Moscow to deliver the capitol imminent news: Georgia had declared war on Our Mother Russia.

The Ministry of the Government jumped to action, but leadership slammed their fists on tables, throwing things in disgust. Long had Russia labored for leadership that wished to move its country out of the dark ages. Just then as they began to make progress, they must revert on their desire for a strong economy and muster up the guns, yet again, to defend against an invader.

Good news, in any event, was to follow in the Winter. The first good news in quite some time. Russia had developed Empiricism, considered a grand achievement in the town squares of the nation. Meanwhille, the economy swelled to 9,000 -- a small surplus over two years ago, and the government saw its popularity at 42%, but with the installment of the new Treasury Minister, and the increased infrastructure, that too was on the rise.

Good news did not travel far, or last long however, as early 1703 would bring about terrible and frightening news.

As 1703 began, Russia was preparing for imminent war aganist Georgia, and had hoped against hope that its weakly fortified Southeastern quarter would only have to meet a small band of Georgians, and not the entire Ottoman Empire as well. But Russia was already being outmaneuvered, as they had previously wished to cut Georgia off along the long stretching thing mountain chain and battle them near the beachsides and mountain slopes of Georgia's border. Instead, the Georgia cavalry swiftly rode past the mountain chain towards a small farming community just south of Don Voisko. It was clear that their goal was to raid, siege, and perhaps destroy the small rural farming village, and that would be where the battle was.

As the spring rolled in, there was more discouraging news. In the distance, citizens and soldiers of Ukraine could see a small band of Crimean infantry moving along the Crimean-Russian border. With the Crimeans firmly in the Ottoman's pocket, war, there too, could be imminent. Such a prospect was disastrous. If the Crimeans could move in a pre-occupy the strong Ukraine defense, that would elongate the route reinforcements would need to take from Moscow to the Southeastern theater. Fighting a war on two fronts was something Russia wanted nor sought to happen.

Nevertheless, if the fight was there, then there was nothing to be done but fight. For now, for this moment, the whole attention of our Motherland was centered on the outcome of a small skirmish in the Southeast, between an invading Georgian nation and the tired Russian infantry that had chased them feverishly along the mountainside. As the horses and cavalrymen of Georgia approached the Durnovo residence in the small farming community they intended to burn, the army that had chased them approached from just behind. It was an overcast day, and the horses threw mud from the dirt road into the village in their moving. All hell was about to rain down on them.

The Battle of Durnovo Farmhouse, 1703
    Involving: Georgia and Russia

To be continued....
    Last edited by NorthernWolf; March 08, 2009 at 10:30 PM.

CheekyKiwi's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: [ETW AAR] Our Mother Russia

fantastic. extremely well written and scintillating storyline look forward to more installments
    "Mercy is not a revolutionary sentiment" General Wesstermann commander of Government in forces in Vendee

"I Dont kiss and tell, instead i 'em and brag" Pegz, true aussie Gangsta

"Victory till i Die"
    "Standing with my mates in the Southern Terrace"
    "We are Champions"
    Me, or my split football hooligan personality anyway

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

You maybe a n00b when it comes to the game, but that AAR is brilliantly written and presented. Will watch with interest. I miss being a n00b, back then everything was AMAZING!
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the early encouragement. I hope you like my battle reports too. I will be learning as I go along as far as those go, so any advice in terms of how to list troops, movements, etc. is definitely appreciated!

This is the best first post I've ever read on TWC, keep it up! Wouldn't it be more fun if you found out about all that stuff yourself?
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Very nice

and trust me, be VERY careful of Georgia! These guys are nuts!!
    France, birth of an Empire
    An Empire TW AAR
    ----------------------------
    "Rise up! Rise up, O Ye Modders
    And bring forth thy great ken of past battles[..]"
    , Straggler13

Part Two

The Farmtown Georgia War

Summer 1703

The Battle of Durnovo Farmhouse, 1703

Russian Troops: Commander: Denis
    Machtoenko
    The 4th Russian Foot Soldiers
    The 5th Russian Foot Soldiers
    The 6th Russian Foot Soldiers
    The 5th Russian Line Infantry Regiment

Georgian Troops: Commander: Niko Protopsaltis
    120 Foot Infantry
    45 Cavalrymen

It was an overcast day, and the horses threw mud from the dirt road into the village in their moving. All hell was about to rain down on them. Sergei Durnovo, the owner of a small farmhouse in the distant outskirts of Don Voisko hastily loaded up a carriage with clothes and supplies. His family, trembling, waited. Off in the distance the Russian war marchine maneuvered against the hills and trees. The echoes of their marching could be heard for miles of open lands. In the small farming community the Georgia horsemen raided the limited row of buildings, grabbing desirable supplies and setting fire to the constructs. But the movements of the Russian infantry from the distance compelled the raiding party to leave town, reassembling along a sloped forest just to the north of the village. There, they would wait.

Shortly later, the Russian forces moved past the town as it burned. Towns people, countrymen... these soldiers brothers were fleeing their homes. As the Russian forces moved toward the Georgians, the dander reached its peak.

The Russian troops formed along a long stone wall across a field from the Georgian troops, who had assembled, crammed into a tight formation, at a small clump of trees. The mounted cavalrymen stood quietly behind.

Both sides jockeyed their troops positionally, preparing for the other to charge, but the Georgians were no dumbies, and General Protopsaltis knew that with so few troops at his disposal, he would make the Russians cross the long stretch of open field into enemy fire. The Russians had to be tired, anyway, had to be fatigued from chasing his horsemen and foot soldiers along the thin stretch of mountains. So, with no other choice, Machtoenko ordered his troops to reform on the other side of the stone wall, and take the long, harsh walk into oblivion.

The Russians split into 3 separate engaging groups; the first, Cossack swordsmen, took the lead in front of the oncoming gunners. 40 yards ahead, the Georgian foot soldiers met the swordsmen in a quick melee. Behind them, the Georgia cavalrymen circled about, noticing that the second group of Russian soldiers had broken from the oncoming firing line, and turned wide to the right of the Georgian defense: a flanking maneuver. Suddenly, and without warning, the small Georgia force was pinched into the batch of stone and trees that they had tried to use as a staging ground.

The Russians continued pushing foward from all three angles at once, and the Georgians only choice was to fight forward or withdraw. The Cossack Swordsmen had utilized the cavalry confusion to their advantage and decimated the foot soldiers with the swords in the melee, but now the Georgia forces, desperate, had another issue on their hands. In the meanwhile, the Russian foot soldiers and infantry had tightened their right flank and formed a collapsed "V" firing line all along the melee. Fury rained down on the Georgians from all angles, now converged entirely at that central point in the hand to hand combat -- their horsemen desperately attempted to push back the Cossacks to ease the Georgia foot soldier burden.

The attempt to recenter their forces was no matter though, as the combination of swordsmen and firepower was too much, and the Georgia forces had no choice but to turn and run. The Russian guns cut the fleeing remainders down, for the most part though, and as their bodies lost sight to the horizon, only two visible remained, dropping their guns and making way toward the hills. In the distance, the home and land of Sergei Durnovo burned mercilessly, but the Russian troops had prevailed; had preserved the village from further onslaught of the raiders, and returned to it to help salvage and rebuild what was left from its foundation.

==========

Meanwhile, reinforcement troops to the frontline Georgia cavalry were forming up along the narrow pass against the Southern mountain chain. This was Georgia's first critical error in the earlygoing of the Farmland Georgia War (named for the terrain and opponent in battle) -- they had failed to soldier up before crossing the border. Nevertheless, General Machtoenko's troops would help repair the burning village and then turn their attention back again to the mountain pass, where this time, a larger, more deadly force of Georgian foot soldiers made their way into the Russian plains, somewhere between the mountaintops and Don Voisko.

As the Georgians again reformed along the mountain chain and the defending Russian troops worked to rebuild their lost village, the Crimean forces that entered Russian territory earlier in the year continued to play a dangerous cat and mouse game with the Russian forces from the Ukraine that were chasing them.

At first, it looked as though a small group of 120 Crimean foot soldiers were headed quickly toward the freshly fortified Don Voisko settlement, but then turned and headed off into the Russian wilderness. Just then, two more combined Crimean forces came up to the Russian border, where a bewildered Russian force had halted and watched the intial Crimeans march into inconsequential middletowns of the Russian countryside.

But it was perhaps wise for the Russian troops to stay near Don Voisko anyway, instead of chasing the 120 soldiers who had fled north. As the larger Crimean force threatened to cross the nations border, the presence of a Crimean Rake was seen tracking the Russian movements right around the city.

The long winter of repositioning for all three countries involved came to a close as the the Spring of 1704 came to pass. Word had reached Moscow that the moral of the country was raised because of the victory of the Russian forces at the Durnovo farmhouse. Meanwhile, a Russian Rake was sent in the backdoor of the Georgia mountains to attempt to infilitrate and destroy a Georgia building: A message from Russia to Georgia that this would not be tolerated. As soon as word had reached Moscow that the moral had been raised, however, the Rake returned, a bedraggled shamble of his former self, telling of a tell of capture and daring escape -- near death for him, and a failure on the account of the sabotage.

Despite that, the message that Russia had intended to send had been sent.

Meanwhile, to the South, the second wave of Georgia forces had again slipped past the thin mountain chain and into open Russian land. Machtoenko's forces turned to meet them, in a mad dash to cut the enemy advance off from approaching Don Voisko. Just miles outside the city, the two forces met again.

At the same time, a third Georgia force used Machtoenko's preoccupation to advance on the Durnovo farm again, this time wide open, though freshly rebuilt: if Machtoenko was driven from the field, he would not be able to return his focus to the Durnovo farmhouse, and the flood gates would open.

The Battle of the Mountain Plain, 1704

Russian Troops: Commander: Denis Machtoenko

Georgian Troops: Commander: Lazaros Kozarctos
    120 Foot Soldiers
    24 Cavalrymen

In the distance, the sky turned to an eerie gray fog from the smokestacks of the working townspeople of Don Voisko. You could not see it from here, but all of the remnants of a busy budding metropolis bled into the horizon. As the Russian forces frantically turned, having barely, yet successfully cut off the Georgia advance, there was a strange sense in the air that, those smokestacks would not be the only thing bled into the landscape on this day.

The Russian forces formed their lines in an abbreviated fishook type arrangement, with an extreme left flank, and pushed their right flank up at a 90 degree angle, to try to cut off any flank attempt at its base. But the Georgians were outnumbered and cautious once again, and the new Georgia commander, Kozarctos, seemed to be making the very same mistakes his dead predecessor had made in facing the Russian troops. Nevertheless, he encouraged the Russian boys to march along to open field to him, and so they did, reforming in 3 long lines.

This time, the Cossack swordsmen would not take the lead, but instead swing their back left flanking position up as far as their legs could carry them, and attempt to attack the Georgian troops from behind. 120 rifleman broke off to do the same from the extreme right, and the 2 remaining foot soldiers groups combined together to create a long, thick wall of fire marching across the field toward the tightly grouped enemy.

The right forward flankers reached their destination first to help distract the enemy from those advancing head on, but the combined foot soldiers group was not far behind, and soon, the Georgians were facing massive volleys of fire from two directions. For the briefest of moments, the Georgia batch looked like it would hold, but then the cavalry got restless and began to circle about. Footsteps from the left flank could be heard, and there was an overwhelming sense that they were being entirely closed in on. Suddenly, from the trees came the Cossacks, swords pointed and charging. At the same time, the right flank pinched as well, and the Georgians were suddenly in the midst of both a hand to hand melee and a vicious gun battle.

The Georgian foot soldiers caved quickly and broke the field of battle, leaving the small band of cavalry to fend for themselves: The foot soldiers not dare meet the same fate as their predecessors. Shortly after, what was left of the Georgian cavalry too turned and ran, attempting to avoid complete annihilation as well. But again the Georgians were not fleet of foot, and what was left of the fleeing Georgia troops were cut down with a final few rounds of Russian fire; those not killed lay seriously wounded.

======

The hot, long days of summer began to fade to a brisker autumn. The long Russian winter flirted with returning home. Georgia had breached Russian territory with two forces in the first 9 months of The Farmland Georgia War, each time leaving the field without their objective. Only 2 men would return to reform with another Georgia force, the rest left completely decimated on the field of battle.

This was Russia's first opportunity to ask the Georgians what they wished they could ask before the war even began: A settlement for peace. There must be leverage now. The Russians must have the upperhand. As the two sides sat the table for negotiations, Russia laid rigid demands on the table. A peace treaty would be signed, but considering Russia's relative dominance on the field of battle, Georgia must pay the Russians $3000, as well as turn over any technology and research that may be of use to the Russians in exchange for the lives lost on the field.

Georgia was flabbergasted, appauled. Georgia, afterall, had suffered the brunt of the casualties, and though Russia wished to position itself as though strong, Georgia knew as well as they that the Crimeans were just around the corner, aching for a battle as well. Thus, the treaty was denied, with the Georgian's clamoring, "No! No! A thousand times no!", a knew battle cry throughout their small land.

As the Summer rolled into Autumn and peace talks had officially failed, a frustrated Georgian government thought that the third Georgian force, the one that had descended to the outskirts of the Durnovo farm, should strike now. It was time to show Russia that they, themselves, were no pushovers -- to show Russia exactly what they could do. Georgia knew that Machtoenko's forces were tiring quickly. The Cossack swordsmen were all but eliminated from two tough melees, and the village of farms could probably be theirs. This time, they would approach from the left, a reconcentrated and larger force, and this time, they wouldn't just burn the village, they would kill every single member of its community. Machtoenko's boys quickly swept back in toward the farm village, but help had come with them in form of a second Line Infantry Regiment, freshly armed from Don Voisko. It was a direly necessary relief to the tired, battle hardened Machtoenko boys.

The Second Battle of Durnovo Farmhouse, 1704

Russian Troops: Commander: Denis Machtoenko
    The 8th Russian Line Infantry Regiment

Georgian Troops: Commander: Christos Horiatis
    120 Foot Soldiers
    45 Cavalry Swordsmen
    45 Cavalry Riflemen

It was a dark, dreary afternoon in the Durnovo farmhouse area. The rain poured down, a sign possible that God was washing away the coming evil from the field. The two forces faced off against each other on similar ground, and again it appeared as though the Georgians would face the Russians to make the long march. So they began to, splitting into three units and beginning to cross the long field. But just then, the Cavalry Swordsmen of the Georgians were ordered to charge -- to surprise the advancing troops and hopefully dispirit them as soon as the fight began.

But the Russian boys quickly rallied and reformed to mass a utter hellstorm of fire on this single cavalry unit, who were quickly overwhelmed in the midst of the meleeing. They turned and tried to regroup, spinning back again for a second attack and breaking the center of the Russian line, but the wave of fire was so overpowering that they could not even reach the center point again, and had to retreat back to the Georgia line. It appeared as though the numbers and talent of the battle ready Russian troops may be an advantage on this day.

The Russian boys, all of them, then moved up a little and formed a long defensive posture, resembling something like a the inside of a trapezoid. But it didn't look like the Georgians would rush again, as their foot soldiers moved back behind the fortifications of a long, thin stone wall, and the remaining cavalry waited, idle, ahead of them.

The Russian line then swelled by reforming from its spread out position and pushed hard toward the Georgian horses. As they reached them, they skirmished for a few moments before the Georgia cavalry thought better of it and returned behind the stone wall with their countrymen.

But this retreat gave the Russians the opportunity to move up against a wood fence themselves, and spread a little longer, practically encircling the Georgians along two sides of the line. Volley after volley poured down on the confused Georgians again, who could not simultaneously defend their very soft flank as well as the stone wall in front of them. As the flank broke, Russian troops poured in on them and pushed them over the stone wall, into the center field, where the left flank of the Russians turned in on them as well, hoping to collapse the Georgian numbers and put them on the run.

This time, the cavalry of Georgia were the first to withdraw, meleeing for only a brief moment before cutting up the hill to safety. The remaining Georgia foot soldiers continued to fight by hand with an incredible amount of resolve. Forcing all 5 groups of Russian battle to encircle them before finally breaking.

The Russians turned and chased the fleeing Georgias up to the nearest hillside, declaring their 3rd victory in 3 engagements.

Word came from forward Russian troops that the remaining soldiers, just a handful in counting, were pushed up against the corner of the sea, having blocked themselves off virtually from any hope of return.

======

All told, the Russian war machine had prevailed in its early test of battles. but two foreign powers still had invading forces, however small, on Russian land. War had gone on for a year now, and winter loomed. The Russian government wanted only to get back to its peacetime business. Enough was enough. The Georgians seem successfully preoccupied in the Southeast, and there were those Crimeans to deal with, who seemed completely disinterested in head-to-head fighting. They, instead, were satisfied to run along the Russian countryside, setting fire to small farm villages and razing the rural communites of the land. Thus, a decision was made. One of aggression. It was time to let the small countries doing the bidding of the Ottoman Empire know that they were no longer merely menacing in the desolate regions of Our Mother Russia. Their homes, their livelihood, was now to come to danger. The heavily armed Ukraine equipped itself even more, calling up more troops to defend Kiev, and as they did, a large force of aggressors crossed the Crimean border toward its nearest town. No bloodshed had been met yet between the Crimeans and Russians. But with forces of both nations tiptoeing around opposing cities, it seemed close to inevitable.

The Farmland Georgia War Continues and Bloodshed Against the Crimean?

To be continued....
    Last edited by NorthernWolf; March 08, 2009 at 10:44 PM.

Wow! a great AAR indeed!

i wish i have the same writing skills as you!

tbh, few more posts like this and i'll worship you!

Salvatorel's Avatar Senator

AAR is indeed good and if be honest have infuences from the real world
    Be like Ostrich and you'll be happy
    Be an idealist and you'll stay optimistic... If life allows you

Shacklock's Avatar Semisalis

Niiiice. Been waiting for someone to do a proper AAR and here it is ^^
    Will be eagerly watching this one.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

This is very good, especially for a first AAR. The writing is fantastic.

Also, welcome to the forums
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

a really good AAR. Nice to see a russian one.
    P.S. Repped you for it.
    Last edited by hellfire15; March 09, 2009 at 11:35 AM.

Jwb187's Avatar Semisalis

cool about time a Russian aar comes up..good luck

Roloc's Avatar Biarchus

Very good AAR, indeed

Wow guys. Thanks for all the praise. Unfortunately some bad news for the readers: This is my first time in a RTS/Campaign game and I sort of got "Just one more turn" syndrome last night!! Oh nos. I am on spring break with little to do, and so I ended up playing over 30 years of game time!

So unfortunately the year-to-year stuff is going to wait on this AAR. If you'd like to know how I'm doing, I beat Georgia..in 1724! It took twenty years. Three years later I conquered Dagestan and am on my way to conquering Crimea with some help from the Polish.

I will most definitely be doing a thorough, full, 100 year AAR in this format starting soon. I want to incorrupt videos and just learned how to utilize them via FRAPs. Also, I want to wait until a stable version of a mod comes out that will allow us to play Emerging and small factions as I am more interested in starting and focusing on the American theatre, and I didn't realize that my troop amounts were only on high (so I cranked it up to Ultimate! But that does me no good until next game. ) Good luck with your games everyone.

As a gift for your patience! Here are a few videos of the Siege of Georgia to hold you over.

That dude in the white picked a *really* bad time to go for a stroll.

Where you running?!

Shacklock's Avatar Semisalis

Awwww devvo