Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buildings = suicide?

Default Buildings = suicide?

My experience so far - still limited, as I am still on Road to Independence - is that entering a building is pretty suicidal, because artillery can take it down so fast.

Are people finding that buildings are, for the most part, best left alone?

Default Re: Buildings = suicide?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMT View Post
    My experience so far - still limited, as I am still on Road to Independence - is that entering a building is pretty suicidal, because artillery can take it down so fast.

Are people finding that buildings are, for the most part, best left alone?
    yeah the amount of fire coming from a building is so limited compared to a regular formation.

MedievalRob's Avatar Tiro

If the enemy has artillery, yes, if not, it's a great place to stall an advance to give you time to flank and counter.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

I am guessing the unit(s) occupying the house get a bonus since I once attacked 1 french line unit that occupied a house with 2 dutch line units. They killed half of each unit before routing.

Well if you have an isolated unit, it could help them. It should entirely protect units from hussars.

Maybe put some sort of elite units in them? Ones with good aim or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Kogen View Post
    Well if you have an isolated unit, it could help them. It should entirely protect units from hussars.

Maybe put some sort of elite units in them? Ones with good aim or something.
    Long rifles (American Unique Unit in RTI) are amazing in buildings. 120 range and 80 accuracy.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalRob View Post
    If the enemy has artillery, yes, if not, it's a great place to stall an advance to give you time to flank and counter.
    Precisely,thatīs my opinion.

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

i put a unit in a town hall once. Enemy cavalry went in and cleared that building like The Rangers. All the horses were inside the building. They ed me up pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    i put a unit in a town hall once. Enemy cavalry went in and cleared that building like The Rangers. All the horses were inside the building. They ed me up pretty good
    I'm pretty certain that cavalry cannot enter buildings. (Ever try to fit a warhorse through a door?)

Buildings are great! They are what saved me at the battle of Boston. The enemy had wiped me out to a single unit which I retreated out of combat with my other doomed unit against british heavy cavlary and put them in the building where they proceeded to mow down the british cavlary while under fire from artillery.
    Long live the British Empire

Attatch bayonets and charge!

TheBlobThing's Avatar Semisalis

When besieging I usually run in with any unoccupied units to take as many buildings inside their fort as possible.
    Disclaimer:
    The above are my current opinions and are liable to change according to mood, time of day, degree of sleep deprivation endured and/or level of inebriation.

The buildings inside the fort are pretty decent as you get a fair amount of fire from them (i've not seen the AI use them though) the other buildings are less useful.
    I'd have thought there'd have been a system where the unit at the window cycles so there's a near constant stream of fire coming from it. With any luck CA may consider this and patch it in.

I love buildings i beat an army twice my size because i garrisoned them and had a bullet battle for about 10 min taking them all out

Bloodzen's Avatar Decanus

I dont usualy use buildings myself unless im outnumbered and they have no arty.
    Im curious about the buildings that can support nearly 2000 troops in them,if the ai was stupid enough to garrison an entire army of infantry inside on and you hit it with a few nice shots from your arty would this destroy the building killing the entire army?

kaikayne's Avatar Libertus

I haven't got the game yet, but wont' dammaged buildings have to be payed for on the campaign map if destroyed with artillery? lol, even if they dont', its so heartless to destroy someone's home simply to save time...you guys are such tyrants...

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodzen View Post
    I dont usualy use buildings myself unless im outnumbered and they have no arty.
    Im curious about the buildings that can support nearly 2000 troops in them,if the ai was stupid enough to garrison an entire army of infantry inside on and you hit it with a few nice shots from your arty would this destroy the building killing the entire army?
    Yes.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

I seem to have cursed luck with buildings.

If I attack the enemy in a building, and I'm at either their same amount of men, or I have more, I still lose. I always lose.

Seriously, now.

I think i read a description saying a unit could hide in building. Anyway, i just fought a battle near a town with a lot of buildings. I put all of my grenadiers and light infantry into the buildings and the rest of my army to one side of the town (the enemy had no artillery). Then when the enemy approached i would take one unit out of the buildings at a time. They held up any army trying to get around my flank far better than if i had counted on them to last in the open. It was an easy win.

OccamR's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by kaikayne View Post
    I haven't got the game yet, but wont' dammaged buildings have to be payed for on the campaign map if destroyed with artillery? lol, even if they dont', its so heartless to destroy someone's home simply to save time...you guys are such tyrants...
    I don't think so, considering that 1 building is a tiny loss compared to ,say, a harbor.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalRob View Post
    I'm pretty certain that cavalry cannot enter buildings. (Ever try to fit a warhorse through a door?)
    they entered my building and ed me up. true story

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast