Thread: Desktop Design Competition

ok, looks like our first (and hopefully not too hastily organised competition) is going to be a desktop design competition, we're looking for a picture that captures the flavour of TWC, winner recieving a cash prize kindly donated by .spartan!!!

more details to follow, the commitee will sort out some rules and regs etc, we'll get back to you fairly soon i hope

OK for the first contest I will donate a cash prize to the winner of a desktop design contest that best captures the flavor of the TWC. The design must be in single and duel monitor versions in standard resolutions. If the committee wants to draft some contest rules and selection process we can get the ball rolling.

-Spartan

Originally posted by the Black Prince@Apr 20 2005, 06:17 PM
    ok, looks like our first (and hopefully not too hastily organised competition) is going to be a desktop design competition, we're looking for a picture that captures the flavour of TWC, winner recieving a cash prize kindly donated by .spartan!!!

more details to follow, the commitee will sort out some rules and regs etc, we'll get back to you fairly soon i hope

OK for the first contest I will donate a cash prize to the winner of a desktop design contest that best captures the flavor of the TWC. The design must be in single and duel monitor versions in standard resolutions. If the committee wants to draft some contest rules and selection process we can get the ball rolling.

-Spartan
    We will discuss this tomorrow on MSN tBP.

Anyone got any ideas please contribute!
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Perhaps have desktop categories for each subforum within TWC. Have one for the mudpit, one for modding, etc.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

with the right materials, i would definitely be interested in this.

i like lord rahl's idea, but take it a step further and add a line on top of the graphic that quotes a post from TWC that pertains to the picture/forum subthread itself.
    /* Under the Patronage of the Honorable Garbarsardar */
    Graphic Designer, Husband, & Dad

Originally posted by Lord Rahl@Apr 20 2005, 11:49 PM
    Perhaps have desktop categories for each subforum within TWC. Have one for the mudpit, one for modding, etc.
    Good idea, and free advertising for TWC... well almost free *wink*
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Bruticus the Steadfast's Avatar Civitate

Maybe some of the avatars of some of the more well known members?
    Under the patronage of the Black Prince

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Avatar competitions? Meh, that could be a possibility. We were thinking that avatars could be used as some small prizes as well.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

♔Goodguy1066♔'s Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Desktop Design Competition

Wow, this thread is from April 2005! I didn't even know TWC existed back then!
    A member of the Most Ancient, Puissant and Honourable Society of Silly Old Duffers
    Secret Sig Content Box!

Both male and female walruses have tusks and have been observed using these overgrown teeth to help pull themselves out of the water.

The mustached and long-tusked walrus is most often found near the Arctic Circle, lying on the ice with hundreds of companions. These marine mammals are extremely sociable, prone to loudly bellowing and snorting at one another, but are aggressive during mating season. With wrinkled brown and pink hides, walruses are distinguished by their long white tusks, grizzly whiskers, flat flipper, and bodies full of blubber.
    Walruses use their iconic long tusks for a variety of reasons, each of which makes their lives in the Arctic a bit easier. They use them to haul their enormous bodies out of frigid waters, thus their "tooth-walking" label, and to break breathing holes into ice from below. Their tusks, which are found on both males and females, can extend to about three feet (one meter), and are, in fact, large canine teeth, which grow throughout their lives. Male walruses, or bulls, also employ their tusks aggressively to maintain territory and, during mating season, to protect their harems of females, or cows.
    The walrus' other characteristic features are equally useful. As their favorite meals, particularly shellfish, are found near the dark ocean floor, walruses use their extremely sensitive whiskers, called mustacial vibrissae, as detection devices. Their blubbery bodies allow them to live comfortably in the Arctic region—walruses are capable of slowing their heartbeats in order to withstand the polar temperatures of the surrounding waters.
    The two subspecies of walrus are divided geographically. Atlantic walruses inhabit coastal areas from northeastern Canada to Greenland, while Pacific walruses inhabit the northern seas off Russia and Alaska, migrating seasonally from their southern range in the Bering Sea—where they are found on the pack ice in winter—to the Chukchi Sea. Female Pacific walruses give birth to calves during the spring migration north.
    Only Native Americans are currently allowed to hunt walruses, as the species' survival was threatened by past overhunting. Their tusks, oil, skin, and meat were so sought after in the 18th and 19th centuries that the walrus was hunted to extinction in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and around Sable Island, off the coast of Nova Scotia.

axnsan's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Roflcopter.

The Edain's Avatar Vicarius

Way to Necro-post Good guy!

axnsan i'd thought you'd be schooling newbies in the TATW forum with the many link you seem to have stashed somehwere
    |Windows 7 user||College Student|
    |Anime Fan||Xbox 360 Owner|Photoshop user|