Thread: Units taking cover

Default Units taking cover

I came across something strange yesterday in several custom battles. Playing on one of the custom battle maps (forgot name but it is a 1 vs 1 battle map) that has lots of fences and cover I had 10 units composed of grenadiers, line units and skirmish infantry. I had all of them taking cover behind the walls and only the skirmish units would fire the entire battle. Every other unit would just sit there and not fire back when in range of the enemy. I did 3 battles on the same map using various infantry units and all but the skirmishers just sat there and did not return fire. Does this happen in the campaign battles as well?

Default Re: Units taking cover

I've seen this in campaign battles- units croaching behind a wall do not appear to fire. However, I did check the status of these units and the status box states that they are firing. Maybe the graphics of crouching and firing cannot co-exist? Or maybe the units really are not firing?

I also have a question- is there a way to choose which side of the wall your troops will take cover behind. It seemed everytime I clicked for troops to take cover behind a wall they would do so on the wrong side- with their backs to the enemy!

I have had units behind walls in a number of battles and they have always fired and taken much fewer casualtied because they are crouched down.

yes you can choose, when the mouse turns to the cover icon, hold right click and you can drag to either side of the wall. i think only the front row of troops will fire though. although the rest crouch so you can have a line behind them standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge_Liang View Post
    I have had units behind walls in a number of battles and they have always fired and taken much fewer casualtied because they are crouched down.
    Is this in custom battles or in the campaign battles? What are you doing to get them to fire...their status shows they are firing but the enemy does not take casualties!

Jayzilla's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge_Liang View Post
    I agree here, except that they certainly fire alot less and definatly don't use 'rank fire.' I wish general units could dismount to use this ability!