Thread: Having a hard time ind Siege defenses

Icon5 Having a hard time ind Siege defenses

So... I'm loving this game. Marching a huge army of redcoats up the center through cannon fire and whatnot, letting the enemy shoot way until my gentleman'ish commander feels like the redcoats are in proper range, having them line up and only then giving the order to fire.. whats not to love

Or running my Swedish line infantry towards the enemy, pausing to fire of a volley and then plugging in the bayonets and charging.. seriously.. I'm loving this game.

I am however somewhat baffled when it comes to defending my regional capitals. I had this wonderful fully upgraded town with what was apparently top notch defenses but I can't, for the life of me, get my men to stand properly on the walls, especially on the triangles that you need to cross a bridge to get to. They either all stand looking to one side instead of over the wall or make very strange star-shaped formations extending from a corner on the wall.

Is there some secret trick that I've missed? :hmmm:

P.S.

Pardon my English it is neither my first nor second language

Default Re: Having a hard time ind Siege defenses

No, you missed nothing. Bugs aside those glorious star forts are basically useless, because you can't position the defenders properly and even if you manage it somehow, they only get one or two salvos of before the attackers climb the walls. Siege battles are actually a huge step backwards from MTW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkis View Post
    No, you missed nothing. Bugs aside those glorious star forts are basically useless, because you can't position the defenders properly and even if you manage it somehow, they only get one or two salvos of before the attackers climb the walls. Siege battles are actually a huge step backwards from MTW2.
    Good point i'm very dissapointed in the fact that any troop type can assault the walls, what is the point of these glorious forts .

I have found that careful placement leads to more than satisfactory results. But I've only defended from inside the fort twice.

PopBot's Avatar Libertus

Yah after playing a few battles on both sides of the siege I figured out attacking is definitely easier. If you are in danger of coming under siege, always try to break out.

I'm surprised CA had such hard time making troops defend the walls competently. I thought M2TW was pretty good in terms of wall mechanics.

Want to play as minor factions? Check out HusserlTW's excellent mod!

Quote Originally Posted by PopBot View Post
    Yah after playing a few battles on both sides of the siege I figured out attacking is definitely easier. If you are in danger of coming under siege, always try to break out.

I'm surprised CA had such hard time making troops defend the walls competently. I thought M2TW was pretty good in terms of wall mechanics.
    Exactly, my archers worked perfectly along with my pikemen on the walls in M2TW. On the other hand, everything was square there, we have all sorts of weird angles on our forts in this game. I have however had much success recently by simply letting them take the walls and then focus fire killing them once they enter the fort by hiding my men in the buildings and having all the stairs covered.