Thread: Extraordinary discovery unlocks past secrets

qnzkid711's Avatar Senator

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/scienc...sp?story=630166

Eureka! Extraordinary discovery unlocks secrets of the ancients
    By David Keys and Nicholas Pyke

17 April 2005

Thousands of previously illegible manuscripts containing work by some of the greats of classical literature are being read for the first time using technology which experts believe will unlock the secrets of the ancient world.

Among treasures already discovered by a team from Oxford University are previously unseen writings by classical giants including Sophocles, Euripides and Hesiod. Invisible under ordinary light, the faded ink comes clearly into view when placed under infra-red light, using techniques developed from satellite imaging.

The Oxford documents form part of the great papyrus hoard salvaged from an ancient rubbish dump in the Graeco-Egyptian town of Oxyrhynchus more than a century ago. The thousands of remaining documents, which will be analysed over the next decade, are expected to include works by Ovid and Aeschylus, plus a series of Christian gospels which have been lost for up to 2,000 years.

I hope they do a follow up on this soon. Looks very very interesting. I wonder if all the scripts will be allowed to be read by us commoners.

That's actually really cool.

I'm waiting for them to start translating them

That's amazing! Yay for technology. *tongue*

This is extremely cool! Maybe the missing parts of Tacitus will turn up, or an ancient military manual...
    "In war, with its enormous friction, even the mediocre is quite an achievement" - Moltke

Ringeck's Avatar Lauded by his conquests

New? I'm not sure, the article might have left something out, but infared light - intensification of faded ink has been in use for over twenty years, at least. I've studied some high medieval manuscipts' margins under IR myself.

I love the medias ability to make any application of technology on historical material "a new technique"
    -Client of ThiudareiksGunthigg-

tabacila speaks a sad truth:
    Well I guess fan boys aren't creatures meant to be fenced in. They roam free like the wild summer wind...

Any ideas about how the new writings will effect the worlds?
    "If you're going through Hell. Keep Going"
    -Winston Churchill

qnzkid711's Avatar Senator

How about maybe it will unearth history which we have been completely ignorant of?

Where the hell do you find this stuff qnzkid711 *wink*

Interesting, we should follow up on this story.