Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyway to research TECH quicker?

Default Anyway to research TECH quicker?

I'm playing as england and I noticed all the other countrys have a million more things researched then me. I know you can steal it but I doubt they're all doing that. Whats the best way to pick up TECH quicker, Research the abilitys that let you research TECH quicker or what? I couldn't find any way to turn it up.

Default Re: Anyway to research TECH quicker?

get a bunch of schools and fill them with gentlemen

AVD29's Avatar Civis

You can speed up research time by putting gentlemen in your schools.

(Beaten to it by man above)

Eusebius86's Avatar Miles

Put gentlemen in the biggest college/univesity you have...

Grimmy's Avatar Ordinarius

Dont forget that you can research one topic per school. So if you have 3 schools, you can be researching 3 different techs simultaneously, for example.

I don't know if there's a ceiling to the number of schools you can have researching at once, but I've had 4 going without problems.

i havent tried this but im thinking about it;

1. research empiricism.
    2. destroy the stuff in some towns you don't really need
    3. build schools

will that work?

or should i change 2. to "get rid of taxes, get those towns ready!"

Yeah I knew about multiple research did not know about gentlemen. That's awesome thank you. Is there a thread anywhere saying what else they do or can someone tell me. I haven't did to much with them yet.

AVD29's Avatar Civis

Gentlemen as well as helping to research tech can also steal other factions tech and try to kill other factions gentlemen in duels.

Something that might help in an investment type approach could be to put some weight into researching crop and harvest type tech, build up your farms, push up your pop growth rate and help more towns spring up faster. The more towns you get going, the more places you have to build schools, and everything else.

But, as GB, I found I can go with scrapping the church near London and converting it to a school without having much problem with stability.

*ALSO*

Look at your gentlemans ancillaries and attributes and specialize your schools once you make multiple ones. Look for traits like "Military Writer" or "Gentleman Farmer", ive also noticed that the research your doing at a particular school tends to affect the gentlemen you have studying it. Researching predominately Military technologies with the same gentlemen seems to enable him to gain more pro military ancillaries and attributes.

In my swedish campaign i have two colleges outside of stockholm doing all of my research one in the town of Upsala and the other in Karlstadt. I currently put all my gentlemen with pro-military attributes in Karlstadt, and all my pro-industrial gentlemen in Upsala. I wish i could rename towns hehe Upsala Vocational College. lol

Having the right gentleman in the right place can save you alot of turns.

Give rep! For i have none.

ablitz makes a good point. You can specialize your gentlemen. The more a gentleman studies a particular branch of research, the better he gets at it.

Edit: Ablitz beat me to the "specialization" point, sorry for the redundancy
    Last edited by pearlcaster; March 06, 2009 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    But, as GB, I found I can go with scrapping the church near London and converting it to a school without having much problem with stability.
    That's good to know, I was curious to know as to whether it would have a seriously adverse impact on happiness in the region.
    Last edited by pearlcaster; March 06, 2009 at 10:57 PM.

Obviously build and upgrade more school's, research more enlightenment techs, and use more gentlemen. But some good tips, try to focus on 3 school/colleges, and have one for millitry, one for industrial, and one for enlightenment. Then micromanage your gentle men into the school they have most bonus for. Then they make it much more productive, and as each school focuss on one thing, they get more bonuses related to it.

Eusebius86's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by ColdFire View Post
    Obviously build and upgrade more school's, research more enlightenment techs, and use more gentlemen. But some good tips, try to focus on 3 school/colleges, and have one for millitry, one for industrial, and one for enlightenment. Then micromanage your gentle men into the school they have most bonus for. Then they make it much more productive, and as each school focuss on one thing, they get more bonuses related to it.
    Yes! A lot of people miss this one. Colleges and gentleman need to specialize in their areas of study. Plus rep to Coldfire!

Mr Longbowman's Avatar Campidoctor

You can also use some of your Gentlemen to steal other factions techs, just go to one of their universities and press the steal tech buttons, worked excellent for me even if the odds for a successful mission is rather slow, the AI uses this tactic ALOT so a good thing to use your Rakes for is to kill off other factions Gentlemen in your schools.

I'm just wondering, a previous poster mentioned converting the church in london to a school at the start, and saying it didn't effect the control too much. Well, What if you took a region and changed all towns in that region to a college? Preferably not the capital as that could lead to a revolution but if you had one region that could have taxes off and a quarter stack garrisoned things would be easier, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bren25 View Post
    I'm just wondering, a previous poster mentioned converting the church in london to a school at the start, and saying it didn't effect the control too much. Well, What if you took a region and changed all towns in that region to a college? Preferably not the capital as that could lead to a revolution but if you had one region that could have taxes off and a quarter stack garrisoned things would be easier, right?

Might work. Be risky though, I think. I would suggest spreading your education facilities out over several provinces. That way, you can't lose them all at once.

since they dont like posting new threads.. ill post this here.

Out of the three research trees, you notice Philosophy has a negative in every single choice except for those first bottom three?

After a while all that unhappiness stacks up ive noticed..

What ive been doing now is just doing those first three, then only working on military and industrial after that. when everything you want is done, destroy the schools and remake them into other buildings (so it cant auto-create the nastys), and just give the gay Philosophy tree the finger. lol. I just honestly dont see anything thats really *that* worthwhile in it to justify all the unhappiness it forces on you. *shrugs*

I've never had a problem with the unhappiness TBH. I just sided with the rebels, won the revolution, and it worked out fine.

Even as I've been steamrolling Europe, France was the ONLY province that required more than one or two units of dragoons to maintain control. Though, to be fair, I usually rest the conquering army in the city for a couple turns so it can retrain, and THEN I leave it with a couple dragoons.

Point being though, I havn't had any rebellions or insurrections, despite being nearly fully researched in the Philosophy tree.

Plus I've just about teched everything up, and it's not even 1730.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast