Thread: Clamour for Reform

Default Clamour for Reform

I'm playing as Austria, with an Absolute Monarchy, and the provinces of Austria and Hungary (2 and 6 million people, respectively) are clamoring for reform. This was because I researched some of the philosophy techs, and both settlements have schools in them. I know I can increase the garrison, destroy the schools, and exempt from taxes to improve public order. My question is, are there any others ways to peacefully deal with the problem, while remaining an absolute monarchy?

I tried changing my ministers, but that didn't do anything. I've had several victories in war--I conquered Prussia and Venice, and I'm about to take Istanbul--but that hasn't seemed to improve the King's popularity any. The tips woman said I could solve the problem by accepting their demands for reform--but I don't know what those demands are! And if I did, would it even be possible for me to do anything about it? For example, most Americans didn't rebel because they wanted England to be a republic, they rebelled because they were repeatedly not granted representation in Parliament--would it be possible in this game to simply grant them representation in Parliament, and be done with it?

It seems like this game is a bit biased against monarchies...it doesn't seem possible to be a progressive King.

PS: Does it make any sense to clamour for reform, but simultaneously dislike the rise of industrialization? Change is change--deal with it!

Default Re: Clamour for Reform

Anybody?

The Clamor for Reform is because of new ideas and the HORRIBLE conditions industrialization causes.

Destroy some of your Industry buildings for Inns and entertainment buildings, lower taxes, etc.

Exempt specific regions from taxes until you can develop your entertainment buildings, and replace any ministers with ministers with lower class happy with ones who have bonuses. As an Absolute monarchy, you can drag a portrait from the opposition to your cabinet and replace someone.

The only problem with combating the urge for reforms is that you can't research tech so quickly and can't have heavy industry all over the place. So it's a choice you have to make - build up slower and carefully or take the plunge and risk losing absolute monarchy control.
    V
    General Valantine of Bossumton
    Lord Lieutenant of the Cinque Ports
    Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

some extra troops left in the main provincial city helps too by increasing the repression of your citizens

I found that when I was pretty well settled I didn't need that many schools, so I knocked a lot of them down and shipped in a bunch of hookers and priests to replace them. Playing the religion card, with plentiful hookers available as an alternative, chilled everybody out.

If that doesn't work, Dragoons will. They repress the hell out of everything for pennies a day.

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

Destroying industrialization is a bad idea - do what the US did and send in the cavalry!

Dragoons are your best friend, they are also great for provincial defence, camp map speed of horse's, defensive ability's of infantry.