Thread: help please ...... gona buy a new pc

hi there, i'm going to buy a pc soon and i have a problem with the card and what to buy in general

i have a P4 1.7 512ram (i have no idea if its dull or no or what compeny)

and my graf card is redon 9800 pro

cost me about 300$ at the time (i think)

now my question is this

when i bught the card i knew that the pc is not going to use it to its max but i thought ferther cos my pc was not a good funcion when i bught the 9800pro .... in rtw with overcloking i could have 6000(with good graf quality- i need good qulity) with no lag (i know thats lame) now my question is is it werth while to keep this card for the new pc or buy a new one? my budget is 1511$ (curent US curency i think) and since a new card is some what expencive it could save me alot of money

i want a dull channel 2gb(1024X2) ram wich is alot of money ( i heard somewhere its importent now to have alot of ram)

and pentiom is what i was planning (i think in pentiom i dont know how amd goes) but if amd is better then np

40gb hard drive is good for me (i dont like a big hard dirve i need order)

good cooling ( my p4 does not have that much of good cooling - rtw is the only game i overklock)

i dont want a fansy screen was thinking a MAG 19 inch (what i have now 200$, no flat, not thin, i dont realy care about that)

sound and speakers is nothing for me as long as it will work and cheap its ok

as for cd rom i dot want this pc to have internet working only for games as for my P4 is working find woth the internet so i dont need cdrw and my P4 has dvd rom and cdrw so the only rom i need is just a simple one

i dont know m board, so please n'liten me

the lier (the usb and all of that) is some thing i also know nothing about

any help would be a very helpfull, thanx

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

You can keep the card (unless you have money burning your hands), it is good enough. About the RAM it is possible that with 2 gigs you get worse results than with 1 gig of ram. This happens because most motherboards will handle that amount of RAM by making it slower (making it work at 333mhz instead of 400 mhz). As games today don't use more than 1 gig of RAM the performance may suffer a bit.

Also, a piece of advice, TYPE SLOWER...

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Ardeur's Avatar Chattering in Chinese

The 9800 Pro is a sweet, sweet graphics card. I just built my computer from scratch last November, and even though its a little long-in-the-tooth (it was down to $200 when I bought it) I still opted for it, because its just such a well made card. It'll probably be another year or so before it stops being competitive with newer cards.

But for now I agree with the previous poster and say don't waste your money on a newer card unless you absolutley want to.

RAM is definitely important, but for now 1 GB is more than sufficient.

As for cooling, I feel your pain. I have a Pentium Prescott core processor and the thing gets HOT. However, this is easily resolved with a $35 cooling fan, the Coolermaster Jet 4. Looks like a Jet engine and does a great job of keeping the temperature under control.

the 9800 Pro is still a great card, I'd keep it
    if you want to go pentium, I still recommend the older socket 478 based Pentium 4s, because they're so awesome (pent up rage can back me up on this one)
    for RAM, a single gig is more than necessary. RAM is most important for applications, and I can easily run two extremely taxing apps at once with a single gig. If you find that a single gig isn't enough after you build, you can add another gig. you won't go over 2 gb though, that's just a total waste.

Zalman AlCu 7000 on my 2.8C and it runs at almost ambient temps, woot!

thenx for the info,

the heat of the pc effects my room temperature so it can get realy hot during the summer, not only for my pc.... funny..... yet... sad.... and hot........ well extra 35$ is no problem

and sorry for any spelling mistakes

zalman AlCu7000 costs around the same and a northwood generates a fraction of what a prescott does, i would really recommend one of those

XP-90 if it fits your socket type....and get good fans, stock fans (that come with the case) are crap.

agine thenx, it looks like i wont be short of money for a good pc

i have another question

i know it sounds silly but in your pc, what is the highs nomber of units you have ever had on a battle with no lag and smoth running, and with my card and a new pc could i have the same number? more? less? and what is the highs nomber of units you had with lag?

regardless of the hardware, things tend to get degraded with most computers when you get over 6000-8000 due to RTW's AI coding algorithms.