Page 2 of 126 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official ETW Frequently Asked Questions Thread

Default Re: How to change government type?

Whats the bonuses/minuses with the different governemnts?
    Big "Diadochi:Total War" fan! Click HERE to download the full game, and the latest patch!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos_Ruler View Post
    "Lesbians" are people from Lesbos. The reason we call homosexual women "lesbians" today was because of the famous poet Sapho from Lesbos who extolled the virtues of female love. Just some FYI.

For the most part my people are happy so I'm in no danger of a revolution. I control the UK, Flanders, the Netherlands region, Spain, Gibraltar, Morocco and about 1/4 of North America. I gave away my Caribbean holdings in return for some French provinces in Northern America/Southern Canada.

Since I've just destroyed the Cherokee and the US though I don't have any major threats to my power base at present. As such I may force a revolution through.

Do I just up the taxes for either class and sit back and wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Vor View Post
    For the most part my people are happy so I'm in no danger of a revolution. I control the UK, Flanders, the Netherlands region, Spain, Gibraltar, Morocco and about 1/4 of the new world.

Since I've just destroyed the Cherokee and the US though I don't have any major threats to my power base at present. As such I may force a revolution through.

Do I just up the taxes for either class and sit back and wait?
    There are a few steps to take when manufacturing a revolution:

1. Increase the tax to max for given social-class, depending on what type of government you want.

2. Remove all buildings adding to happiness and repression in your capital.

3. Remove your garrison from your capital.

4. Replace ministers that are providing large bonuses to the class you are wanting to revolt.

5. Control other regions this may effect by increasing the garrison and exempting them from tax.

6.(optional). Schools and industry help tip the balance towards revolt if the previous steps need extra 'umph'.

7. Wait a few turns and watch a strike become a rebellion and then into a revolution.

It was actually fairly retarded how my revolution happened. The only ones paying taxes in my Absolute Monarchy were the upper class, but still the lower class felt like they were being subdued. Sure, industrialization sucks for you guys, but we'll find you some work in the army!
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    There are a few steps to take when manufacturing a revolution:

1. Increase the tax to max for given social-class, depending on what type of government you want.

2. Remove all buildings adding to happiness and repression in your capital.

3. Remove your garrison from your capital.

4. Replace ministers that are providing large bonuses to the class you are wanting to revolt.

5. Control other regions this may effect by increasing the garrison and exempting them from tax.

6.(optional). Schools and industry help tip the balance towards revolt if the previous steps need extra 'umph'.

7. Wait a few turns and watch a strike become a rebellion and then into a revolution.
    Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by bobfish View Post
    I just had a revolution, went from Absolute Monarchy to Republic, not choice in the matter.

Except you do... choose the loyalist and win if you want to stay moncarchy--- choose rebels and win and get a republic.

Serenissima's Avatar Tiro

This isn't even close to what we were promised (changing governments, starting revolutions, etc), and government type has no impact on the gameplay whatsoever, either...
    Most Serene.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggie View Post
    I was wondering if it's also possible to change your republic into a monarchy?
    How? Who will become king or queen? :hmmm:

Quote Originally Posted by shadyrome View Post
    Whoever it is that leads the coup, or an old noble.

Anyways, its ridiculous that one cannot peacefully change ones government, completely ahistorical.

monsterfurby's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by shadyrome View Post
    Well or "Emperor". It worked for Napoleon...
    Resident radical moderate.

Jayzilla's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by bobfish View Post
    I just had a revolution, went from Absolute Monarchy to Republic, not choice in the matter.
    if your lower class revolts in your capital, then you go to republic. upper class revolt = constitutional.

Lower class rebellions must be supressed... this is my doctrine and orders for you all. Destroy them all, wipe out their leaders and install fear into your peoples, then brutally usher them back into their steel mills and granarys. Your king is king. unless the nobally born wish to have a say, which we can discuss over tea and scones.

Default Re: The Official ETW Gameplay Questions and Answers thread

I'll throw in here - any way to see the family tree? Playing France, I had a notice that I had a new heir, but I couldn't find any family tree to let me know what the larger picture was.

Maybe I'm dense, but how exactly do I build a new school in a given region? As I see it, all I can do is upgrade the facilities the game plops down across my areas, which in my present circumstances gives me only one school in my empire.

Is it normal for trading ports to be void of any trade routes? my ports in Pensacola, Waterford and Liverpool have no routes at all. maybe there's a specific reason that i'm missing.

Default New Town Specialization

As I understand it when a village becomes a town you can choose how you want the town to grow and specialize. You have 4 options:

1) School- This allows you to research multiple techs at once, at the rate of 1 per school, so by choosing this you will tech up faster then your opponents.

2)Church- This allows you to make missionaries which improve your religion

3)Coaching Inns- This allows you to make buildings that keep your population happy and improve puplic order

4) Craft Worskhops- This improves wealth.

I am not 100% sure what the effect of churches do as the manual was kind of sparse on it. Other then making missionaries which can help you convert other nations to your religion, do they do anything else?

Am I missing anything of importance when I choose a path to take?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Cornelius View Post
    Maybe I'm dense, but how exactly do I build a new school in a given region? As I see it, all I can do is upgrade the facilities the game plops down across my areas, which in my present circumstances gives me only one school in my empire.
    click on a town that is not one of these:

-a capital
    -a farm
    -a timber logging camp
    -a port

then click on the icon to the extreme right of the building to demolish it. next turn you should be given 4 options (a college/university, a church school, an entertainment revenue, or an industrial building)

you could also wait for a new town to emerge in one of your regions.

In the spirit of keeping Garnier's head from exploding, I'll take a stab at a question from this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by colos999 View Post
    2)When upgrading a building it has little circles beside, it some of these circles are filled some are not. What do these represent?

I'm pretty sure the circles represent what level the building is. So if a building has two out of five circles filled in, it's a level 2 structure.

Is it just me or is there always one man that has 2D rendering stuck when you zoom in?

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggans View Post
    click on a town that is not one of these:

-a capital
    -a farm
    -a timber logging camp
    -a port

then click on the icon to the extreme right of the building to demolish it. next turn you should be given 4 options (a college/university, a church school, an entertainment revenue, or an industrial building)

you could also wait for a new town to emerge in one of your regions.
    I demolished one of my starting towns right on turn 1 so I could build an additional school instead of having a coaching inn there