Thread: Firing from behind cover.

Default Firing from behind cover.

I just found out that you actually have to click the cover for your units to crouch down behind it.

The problem is, My line infantry isn;t firing. The unit card saud 'Idle, firing' But nothing happens.

Tips, anyone?

Default Re: Firing from behind cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Maizel View Post
    I just found out that you actually have to click the cover for your units to crouch down behind it.

The problem is, My line infantry isn;t firing. The unit card saud 'Idle, firing' But nothing happens.

Tips, anyone?

Using the cover by clicing on it is useless, your men duck and only let off a few shots. Stand your men behind the wall in a normal formation and it seems to work. You get the protection and and fight normally.

Yet another "how the hell did they miss that"

Meh, It'd be much cooler if it actually worked.

ya, i noticed the same thing. Pretty annoying, hopefully that gets fixed in the next patch. Also, I noticed that occasionally its impsosible for you to get the unit to crouch down the side of hte wall you want them to crouch. I wish they incorporated a click and drag system of how the unit crouches behind hte wall, rather than the idiotic way they did it.

TeutonicKnight's Avatar Miles

Could it be that only skirmishers in skirmish mode will actually use the wall and fire properly?

I've no idea, I'm just brainstorming this while at work.
    "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl."

~Frederick the Great

Quote Originally Posted by remosu37 View Post
    ya, i noticed the same thing. Pretty annoying, hopefully that gets fixed in the next patch. Also, I noticed that occasionally its impsosible for you to get the unit to crouch down the side of hte wall you want them to crouch. I wish they incorporated a click and drag system of how the unit crouches behind hte wall, rather than the idiotic way they did it.
    They do....Click and drag on the side of the wall when your cursor turns to the cover icon.

And for me, it, well, has worked.

I just cannot seem to get my cursor to turn to the cover icon, AI seems to use it easily enough

Quote Originally Posted by Akimov View Post
    Using the cover by clicing on it is useless, your men duck and only let off a few shots. Stand your men behind the wall in a normal formation and it seems to work. You get the protection and and fight normally.

Yet another "how the hell did they miss that"
    Interesting. I have been trying to work out how the cover works myself.

I was just lining up my infantry behind it (no clicking the feature) but was not sure if it was offering protection or not.

In theory, it would offer protection if the shot hit in. I don't know how much damage being hit in the leg or foot does anyway, though.

In two battles, my soldiers didn't fire.

But overall it works. It think there is some kind of bug. Most of the time it works like it should, with all soldiers up to three ranks (don't have platoon fire yet) firing and having extreme protection.

Senator

I dislike how they all bunch up behind a little section of the wall, you can't drag them farther apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Quadratus View Post
    I dislike how they all bunch up behind a little section of the wall, you can't drag them farther apart.
    You can. Get the icon, and click and drag. Or just click in different places.

I've used cover by clicking it recently, worked perfectly. I wasn't paying attention enough to see if they had a slower rate of fire but they managed to rip a unit to shreds while only taking one casualty. I could not find a way to actually spread my guys out, however. Definitely useful, nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by OberonDark View Post
    You can. Get the icon, and click and drag. Or just click in different places.
    Thanks, that helps a LOT (totally sincere, no sarcasm). That's made it a lot easier to actually make use of cover. I've found that my units occasionally still have firing issues tho... not sure why, but occasaionlly the troops just sit there and don't shoot. Mb that's a bug, but the click and drag thing completely solves the annoying "can't place the units" issue.