Thread: [ETW AAR] What Divides Us

Default [ETW AAR] What Divides Us

What Divides Us

July 27th, 1777

A tenacious mud swallowed the soles of distraught soldiers making their way off the ships at the head of the Elk River; the 34-day venture from New Jersey had wreaked havoc upon both their consciousness and constitution. The ungraceful arrival was being scrutinized by a multitude of curious birds, perched upon their deciduous shelters. On that morning, being grateful for a bird’s inability to laugh would have been considered prudent action.

Of course it would be even wiser to acknowledge the fact that not all that laid eyes on the red-coloured army were just mere feathered creatures; somewhere a dozen miles to the southwest stood an observant General Washington with a force of over twenty thousand to oppose the British’s seventeen. The trees dotting the landscape served as his eyes, and the plentiful tributaries and streams acted as his ears. A simple truth drifted inside Washington’s mind: the only thing standing between Philadelphia and the British was himself and the courageous men in front of him. If there was something that could strengthen his steadfast demeanour even more, this truth would surely be it.

The first move that sparked an advantage was made nearly two weeks before both armies collided in furious contention. Instead of establishing camp, the delay caused by the slothful disembarkation pushed Sir William Howe, the British general, to swiftly move his troops further inland. Because of this, Washington was not able to ascertain the true calibre of the opposing force.

September 11th, 1777

A sombre fog weaved in and out of the Hessian ranks under General Knyphausen as they approached Chadd’s Ford, carrying with them an eerie silence that accentuated the stealthy advance. Farther to the east, General Cornwallis led the British regulars in a flanking move through a neglected Jefferis’ Ford.

This was Howe’s masterpiece.

While the flanking force made its way around to the Americans, the leading light infantry battalion came under fire by skirmishers concealed in the woods adorning the way. The sound of gunfire quickly gave way to a sudden stampeding of horses as both the accompanying dragoons and Hessian hussars flooded the assortment of trees, driving back the rifle men with astounding effectiveness. What little sunlight penetrated the curtain of branches manifested glints on the horsemen’s raised sabres as they cut down all who chose not to flee.

The convenient fog had taken its leave, revealing a sun that had grasped its zenith. Several of the American brigades were now desperately wheeling to their right to meet the advancing British columns which had now both cleared the woods and dispersed their scouts. Distant sounds of explosions and cannon-fire coming from Chadd’s Ford resonated throughout the field as both sides assembled an organized formation. The British light infantry had now moved from the head of the formation to a small grove on the right flank and made initial contact with the advancing rebels, showering their left flank with withering fire. The grenadiers and highlanders formed the right wing of the British line, and subsequently opened up on the continentals as they came into range; their accuracy and timing impressing even the nearby light infantry battalion. As the rest of the line sprouted fire down the field, the British 8-pounders finished settling itself on the descending slope posterior to the infantry line.

The Hessian cavalry had crept up behind the British right flank to grasp the advantage of concealment provided by the shadowy grove of trees. On the other side of the line, the Dragoons positioned themselves behind the line infantry but were instructed not to dismount for the exchange of fire; Cornwallis wanted to unleash all of the available cavalry as soon as the ‘rebellious’ line faltered.

The Continental Army responded, expelling a volley very much like the initial one made by their counterparts. As dozens of bodies fell to the verdant grass, a silence was instilled on the British line, which was quickly broken by a fierce howling coming from the Highland regiment. Many of the young American soldiers interrupted their reloading to witness this spectacle in utter shock.

A rout buds.
    The confident Cornwallis smiled.

The red-clothed demons fired once and marched forward several paces, using the lull after a volley’s impact to inch closer to the American lines. Militia light infantry appeared on the Continental Army’s left flank, taking position at the peak of a small hill overlooking the town hall. The grenadiers were ordered to break off the line’s wing and advance towards them, while their own light infantry provided cover fire from the grove. The tallish creatures released a single volley upon them before lighting the fuse on their grenades and hurling them through a high arc at their panicking enemies.

The American lines declined into a disorder as minutes fleeted; fear becoming plentiful as the advancing British lines drew closer. At a certain point the American marksmanship decayed into shaky disarray, giving the British infantry ample time to reload in a collected manner after the order to halt was given. It took one last single volley within short range, the deadliest volley of the day, to send a large portion of the survivors running; the resistant ones slowly stepping backwards in confusion. A nod fell from Cornwallis, triggering the call of the bugle which incited the cavalry to explode into a maddened sprint towards the enemy lines. The British infantry and artillery ceased fire, their silence overwritten by an overwhelming cacophony of hoof beats coming from the fast-moving horde inundating the field and crashing into the opposing lines with much vigour.

Night fast approached. Cornwallis’s forces met up with their Hessian allies who had succeeded in breaking through the drained American lines at Chadd’s Ford. They had taken considerable artillery fire but managed to capture several of the cannons, suffering only a small number of casualties.

After a few petty encounters spanning several miles which repeatedly dissipated into the rebels’ retreat, the British forces marched into Philadelphia unchallenged.

Let me know what I can improve on! Also please notice that this is a one post AAR (a teaser of sorts), a fully fleshed-out AAR of mine is in the works! keep an eye out : P

Default Re: [ETW AAR] What Divides Us

Great work, Snuggans! The video really set the mood!

I should also note that this story has won the ETW Demo AAR Contest.

Watercress's Avatar Praeses
    Her Majesty's Extraterrestrial Possessions

nice. what side are you playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Master Magic Mage View Post
    nice. what side are you playing?
    it's a historical representation of the Battle of Brandywine.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Ah, I saw this in the Empire Demo contest (and voted for it incidently) and wondered who wrote it. Very good, very good indeed.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Nice!
    Last edited by Musthavename; March 08, 2009 at 11:54 AM.

I love the intro movie, your writing style is very good, the atmosphere was captured very well. I don't know if this is a deliberate choice, or part of the style of this AAR but at times it felt like you were brushing over and past things. But that may just be part of the AAR, and would only need to be changed if you would make a bigger one.

So for the style you have chosen there isn't anything that you need to change or improve. Kudos!
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

necro post!

just kidding : P thank you.

since it was for the ETW Demo competition it was meant to be short but now that ETW is actually playable for me, i will get around to posting a 'fuller' AAR.

Nazgûl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

Wow.
    Simply, wow.
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.