Page 26 of 202 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435365176126 ... LastLast

Thread: The (Old) Official ETW Criticism Thread

Default Re: Will CA compensate customers with games that do not work?

Quote Originally Posted by Icefrisco View Post
    Most developers do compensate for problems. When my XBox burned my MLB2K8, Microsoft offered to send me a free new game and to fix my XBox.
    Microsoft are the manufacturer of the Xbox and have a legal responsibility to replace faulty hardware if it goes wrong within X amount of time.

Same as if your TV or Fridge went wrong within the first year or whatever.

Gonzo89's Avatar Miles

Steam fixed all there issues this morning and this evening with updates. If its still not working, theres a problem your end.

Update 1 -

• Fixed possible case where Steam would get stuck with "Downloading starting..." when trying to download
    • Added NTFS check when trying to install Empire: Total War
    • Added new dialog to inform the user they failed to register a CD key because they do not own a game which is required to register the key (Empire: Total War Special Forces)

Update 2 -

• Fixed "endless update" bug when trying to download Empire: Total War
    • Fixed possible case of "Game is unavailable" bug when trying to launch Empire: Total War

The difference with computer games is that people's computers are often a mess, with years of abandoned programs and drivers that have left their trace in the Registry, a slew of strange processes working in the background, and pieces of hardware that are only talking to each other through sheer luck.

They can't be responsible for compatibility with everything.

Default Re: Land Battle - I feel like I'm missing something.

Nah, battle has never looked better in a TW game. With mods it will be even better.

I agree, doesn't matter what time period your in.
    In every battle their screaming and when it comes down to it...bloody.

Fact is the battle has lost its "weight". Everybody sliding around, there's no push & shove.
    I can't believe CA would bring back the "Clone" army. Didn't they learn from RTW? Why would they take a step back?

Failspy: Right, but you'd have to want to get rid of the game. So even if you're making up a reason, its effectively just returning a product. The fact that most game stores won't take a return of games doesn't mean you shouldn't have the right to return it if it's rubbish.

Well they won't do a refund but at least throw in a few special units for us to download.

Quote Originally Posted by Susurrus View Post
    Failspy: Right, but you'd have to want to get rid of the game. So even if you're making up a reason, its effectively just returning a product. The fact that most game stores won't take a return of games doesn't mean you shouldn't have the right to return it if it's rubbish.
    But you shouldn't have that right. You payed to get the game, and they gave it to you. If you didn't read reviews or forums to find out that it's not what you're looking for, or if your computer won't run the game, it's your fault. There's a difference between a broken product and one that you don't like.

They can't be responsible for compatibility with everything.
    That is true, but my computer easily exceeds the minimum requirements and I don't have mcuh old crap lying around on it because my computer is only 6 months old.

Well they won't do a refund but at least throw in a few special units for us to download.
    That doesn't help when you can't play the game.

Gonzo89's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Icefrisco View Post
    That is true, but my computer easily exceeds the minimum requirements and I don't have mcuh old crap lying around on it because my computer is only 6 months old.
    What's your problem that means you cant play? As in what error message?

Since you bought the game there's nothing morally wrong if you ...

Quote Originally Posted by aion2006 View Post
    I can't believe CA would bring back the "Clone" army. Didn't they learn from RTW? Why would they take a step back?
    I think i have an answer for that.

Money

If i have to be honest, All total war games have been rather horrible without mods to "finnish" the games - including this one.

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

but I'm afraid that steam just may destroy that hope as well...
    What? Valve sometimes puts popular mods up for download on Steam.
    I can't believe CA would bring back the "Clone" army.
    What clone army? You have unit detail all the way down?

Quote Originally Posted by Dayman View Post
    You have unit detail all the way down?
    You don't to have it all the way down.

You only get different faces with Ultra, not even with high. So yeah, everything below that makes it look like a clone army.

As for steam making mods more difficult: That's nonsense, nothing more. Steam has nothing to do with modding the game. I guess some people will start to blame Steam for starting WW2 pretty soon here.

Default Re: The Official ETW Rant Thread

I bet Steam was forced on CA by Sega!

I personally hate steam ,not liking launchers at all, but i had no problems installing the game and registering it through steam.

As to game not being a polished product, that's probaby true but I like getting my hands dirty in such a great game! .. PATCH AWAY CA!!

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

themoob's Avatar Centenarius

Mind you, a lot of people are getting the problem where you get stuck at the loading local game caches screen, which is a problem with Steam and is being ignored by Steam & CA.

Xugaa's Avatar Tiro

As much as I like to sell my used games once I'm bored with them, technically you are only paying for the license to play the game - and before Steam, publishers simply had little ability to enforce it. The discs are included simply as a quicker aid to install, but as it says on them, you aren't meant to let anyone else have them - also hence why game stores don't accept used PC games, not in my country anyway.
    Unleash the whirlwind of our wrath. Our guns never tire.
    And we have beaten back the foe. Send them running!

Hugely pissed off on how a gamebreaking bug like Fire by Rank making all my units un-able to fire from cover gets through a game that had such a long development cycle.

Mostly pissed off because of how much I was enjoying the game, and now I have to sit idly by waiting for this patch next week.

Default Re: Return of the clones

Quote Originally Posted by Dewy View Post
    Same uniform, same face but different facial hair and colour
    just about all they could do to stay accurate to history.

armies of the time were basically clones of each other...

the units in opposing armies and navies were pretty standardized, not only between each other, but between nations.

its not like the medieval ages where you had different coats of arms and weapons and armor... everyone in the 1700's wore the same uniforms, carried the same weapons and pack.

different nations had slightly different uniform cuts and colors... but thats about as far as the differences went. the differences within a nation's army were even less.

Default Re: Return of the clones

Quote Originally Posted by Barser View Post
    Though the chance is not that dramatic. They still look like clones when you zoom in.
    But atleast it seems modders can change it. I just dont get why you need ultra settings to get such small changes.
    probably because of the stress and strain it would put on your system otherwise.

it is odd that they closed it off... but i suppose it only makes sense if they knew that the strain of that particular graphic change would rip apart lesser cards.