Page 2 of 202 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102 ... LastLast

Thread: The (Old) Official ETW Criticism Thread

Berdiche Knyaz's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: My rant with the game, views and a lost purchase.

I guess I would've been fine if France, Spain, and England, and some other areas had some more settlements, and that fact that all of the factions should've been playable.
    Also theres no name changing for settlments, and no family tree, not to mention that Gentlemen are pretty useless IMO

-Berdiche Knyaz
    America: Total War Teammate
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=224197

Quote Originally Posted by Kogen View Post
    Wow, are you serious? 50 turns?

I thought it was 6 month turns for 200. I easily go up to like 125 before I get bored.

2 turns a year = 100x2=200 turns.. not 50

ye i find etw a disappointment .., i somewhat had mindset that etw will be total clone wars, for one or another reason i dont rly mind.. finding same and same.. atleast for now..

couldnt say i expected finished product either.. mtw2 is great atm, but lets not forget few major things that were broken on release..

game it self seems small.. mini.. i dont find anything epic in it.. map feels small.. even if its 50% of the world..

ai is terrible.. i could agree on turning arrows for ships.. , but when i need to reposition my units/turn them.. so they actually shoot enemy is beyond retarded.. if i pointed my archers to go fight xxx unit in mtw2 they would go and shoot.. sometimes few of them wouldnt shoot.. but it wouldnt tbe that .. if enemy unit moved 3 steps to side they stop shooting.. as it is in etw..

this whole "superior ai "for enemy is nothing but a lie,
    this whole "militaristic super strick rules following army " excuse is cheap way to get out of non responsive ai, which cant even turn to side ( im not even asking for whole formation to turn.. atleast those 2-5 units on the side would shoot.. no.. they would stand there taking hits.. and looking into original side.. ) sad

whole game engine.. everyone seem to praise it.. feels like half forum is paid of by ca, engine runs terribly , fps is low.. graphic quality is nowhere near to what i expected , ss looks nice, but in game its whole another world..

going from ultra/max, to high , while removing most of super performance clogers, grants you 5-10 fps if you lucky , lowering even more grants you about nothing

i loved to zoom into mtw2 and watch my units to battle ( yes etw got new combat animation.. which is nice to see ) but in quality, it feels like its all blured/with zero aa.. even tho i use aa, and no,, blur isnt on.. its one of those graphic styles, which doesnt fit into a world.. i could point few upcomming mmos, others game that looks like it'' like price of percia.. cartoony look, supposedly looking good.. but in the end.. it isnt real graphic

campaing map is laggy as hell, while it breach 40-50 fps at points it still feeels like lagfest each time.. mtw2 campaing map was even more laggy. usually 30~ fps.. but it didnt felt half of that laggy, and wasnt that responsive..

in the end.. its all bleh.. combat is pure mess.. go there.. go there.. shoot that and that ( didnt lost single battle yet ) but so far..

etw is nothing but disapointment

Warboss's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by HansDuet View Post
    If you miss that, its a matter of opinion.

IMO number of settlements =/= automatically good.
    I agree, sieges in previous TW games i found to be tedious and boring. I like how in Empire the resources and buildings are spread throughout the region.
    Edit: Also it runs great on my PC, I understand that upgrading your pc is expensive but you have to eventually.
    Last edited by Warboss; March 05, 2009 at 04:09 PM.

Travisfv's Avatar Tiro

I'm just saying, this is the time of uniform armies. Hell, uniform would be half the reason for signing up. A good set of clothes that one looks handsome in is a deal for years of military service.

Also, I don't see the point in complaining about faces being similar. What are you doing during a battle, looking at your men, or trying to get the upper hand and go home alive? The only time I look at my men that closely is in the deployment phase. After that I'm too busy keeping them going and killing the enemy to care that they all have the same beard.
    When life gives you lemons, let sleeping dogs lie.

Being a Napoleonic fan I agree that armies of that period had much different uniforms..cut of coat,different shakos etc. I'm not sure of earlier SYW type armies , but a look at the Kronoskaf Seven Years War site made me think perhaps there wasn't a lot of difference except for colour of coat and facings in the earlier 18th cen. It would be nice if a player could colour his units himself to vary the appearance of different regiments and armies.

It is clearly rushed.
    So were Rome and M2.

Rome total war & METW2 -> unique armies, larger battles, allowed reinforcements.
    Empire has all of these with the exception of 'unique' armies and thats just because of the period. Med2 wasn't exactly very varied and the supposed variety of Rome started to get stale once you'd fought the blue barbarians, the red barbarians, the green barbarians etc.

Return of the clone armies.
    There doesn't seem to be as much variety in the actual units true, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Also; uniforms.

12 playable factions compared to the 20-30 in the other two games.
    Which Rome and M2 were you playing with 20 playable factions? As I recall Rome had a meagre 3 to start with and Med2 had 5. The rest became playable only through modding (or if you wanted to bother with destroying the appropriate factions in the campaign).

2 turn years for 1700-1800. That's like the first half of Rome total war, that's what it feels like. LAME.
    Thats 200 turns. And I never completed a single campaign in vanilla Rome anyway. There's also the fact you have about far more things to be doing each turn than you did in Rome.

It's going to take a mod to finish the game because I don't see all the problems being fixed with just patches until a long time.
    Yup sounds like Rome and Med2.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by SuperKyle View Post
    Empire total war -> Return of the clone armies.
    You are avery that in this period of European history armies were the most uniformed throught history?

Quote Originally Posted by Weehamish View Post
    Still not as many as mtw2 for the map size! theres 1 in scotland ffs and 1 in england !!!
    current sweden ( not one in game ) have just one town..
    finland, one town.. it goes like.. oh i just took 1/10 of continent by winning a battle.. awesome

The game is bad bad bad, why defend a rushed game? The sea battles are not even that good. infact there REALLY boring, and the different ammo types make no difference at all really, i mean they have stolen the sea battles from other ship based games and put there graphics on them but the gameplay is HORRIBLE, i mean they could of atleast added grapples and waves, maybe different ships for diff races?

To be honest come on the ship battles are really bland and crap!! 0 cannon modifactions or hull mods!

My idea is way better then these!

First off instead of MASS spam of ships with crappy battles, they should of made the ships bigger and added more detail and slowed it down and had propper broadside battles instead of the crap we have! Has anyone played the old pirate games that cost £5 for 3in1?? ETW has stolen the same combat style from them but made it WORSE!!! And just juiced up the graphics.

Really bad game, TW shud leave the ship battles to auto and made the game BETTER! By adding ship battles in the game it has sufferd and lost the needed attention to make the MAIN part of the game work, its really CRAP!
    Last edited by Weehamish; March 05, 2009 at 04:20 PM.

No game is perfect, but I think Empire is still great despite some of the flaws it does have. To counter argue your points tho.

I fail to see why people get so upset about "clone armies". I mean yes it is quicker to design a generic skin and use it over. Considering you spend 95% of the battles zoomed out makes it a non-issue, for me at least. I dont expect a CA to design multiple facial features and looks when they hardly will get any notice.

They did limit alot of the factions but honestly, its a game about imperialism. So they are just going to just make the key players in that race playable. I bet CA decided that yes some people would play these but it would be a small minority. Not to mention they must be really difficult to play (which im not saying is a bad thing), but you would probably get owned by the AI most of the time and mainly focus on a small theater and not take advantage of the full game.

As for the historical battle yes there could have been more, but they had The Road to Independance. Which is probably the most important historical event covered in the time period and that alone probably took some work and CA figured more people would spend time on that not the historical battles.

And lastly the turns is a predicament because they cant really go into the deep 1800s, due to new tech and possibly touching on a expac? And if they made it 3 turns per year or even 4 turns thats a really long game and most hardcore people who would dream of playing that long have probably beat the victory conditions well before that.

Those are just my 2 cents I think its a great game but like I said earlier not perfect. I cant wait to get back to playing it.

Really the maps are glossy, the cities are cartoony, I dont understand why CA took out the Grisly and Brutality (Well prob because of the time period of course), but I'm disappointed with the lack of unique units, and the map and campaign itself.
    Lets face it CA rushed this
    SOmebody better get those files unpacked soon, I'm starting to go back to MTW2

-Berdiche Knyaz

Bob the Insane's Avatar Semisalis

Personally I quite like the new campaign map, yes there are less settlements in the traditional sense, but over time the other locations in each region build up and become targets for the AI. In a funny way they have turned the siegefest into a way to have more regular battles. The small towns and ports can be garrisioned and are frequent targets for the AI. However they are not siege battles, but rather normal field battles but fighting for an objective.

Over time individual regions can be come pretty well populated with small towns, so what is a pretty empty looking map becomes more crowded.
    "They are the devil's vegetable" - Captain Keeble, HMS Bulwark

Watercress's Avatar Praeses
    Her Majesty's Extraterrestrial Possessions

wow, you guys really to loosen up. you damn lucky the devs are even making this. if i was making the game and these were your comments, i'll quit instantly and leave you here to cry.

the developers have to balance the game between history buffs like you and noobs like me that just want get start killing and pillaging. I didnt start playing total war until medieval 2. But the bottom line is, Is the game fun? most people dont need 60 factions and unique armys for the game to be fun as long as something blows up its FUN

Quote Originally Posted by Master Magic Mage View Post
    wow, you guys really to loosen up. you damn lucky the devs are even making this. if i was making the game and these were your comments, i'll quit instantly and leave you here to cry.
    If that was your grand strategy, you wouldn't be a successful game developer, you'd be eating rotten tuna fish from the dumpster

Sardonicus's Avatar Biarchus

I couldn't agree more with the OP.
    I spent my life savings of $730.00 to be able to play and still can't.
    I feel like throwing this game in the trash.
    My special forces units codes weren't even included in the box. I give up. and have uninstalled ETW and Steam.
    This game is going to the dusty bin of games that never get played and it's back to M2TW for me
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3PT5NUroxA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYzt1ao81jU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2c_BvVBd-Q

Quote Originally Posted by heyhellowhatsnew View Post
    The Total War community is almost as bad as Monster Hunter and DOTA. Christ some of you are manchildren.

There are quite a few rough edges, but these can and probably will be fixed in patches

As for most other things, they come down to user opinion. The so-called lack of unit variety doesn't bother me in the slightest, I think there is plenty for me to be getting on with, and I like the 6 elite units

Only 12 factions unlocked? I couldn't give a monkeys

Heh, if I was a game dev, I would actually read these comments and then work on the problems the game has instead of quitting. That'd be actually smart

-Berdiche Knyaz

the uniform thing isn't what I was referring to when I was talking about return of the clone army. by clone army I mean lack of diversity between the 12 major powers besides what tech will do, but you can't really tech in multiplayer matches...

pretty much the only graphic detail that's clone is the faces again which is a step backward from metw2.

And to those few who disagree with me, I DO like the game. I've been playing it all day. It just feels like it'll be a repeat of rome total realism and stainless steel, y'know?

I don't know about all of this...I love the game so far. The only real problem I've seen is that the stupid "A reinforcement unit can only enter the battle once a unit already in the battle has died" thing is still going on...it allowed me to defeat an army twice my size (with terrible battle odds at the beginning) because the second half of it trickled in one by one.