Page 1 of 202 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: The (Old) Official ETW Criticism Thread

Default The (Old) Official ETW Criticism Thread

This thread has become too long and unwieldy so it's time to start a new one. From now on, please post your ETW criticism here.

Posted by pann ealier today:
    <b>To help clear up the forum, so threads stay on the front page for longer, I'm going to start a series of general threads for common thread topics. Older threads will be left alone, or closed if they're no longer needed, but newer threads will be moved into these general threads.

This is the thread for criticising Empire: Total War. If you want to express your dislike of the game, do it here. However, despite this being a rant thread, there should be constructive criticism only. No CA bashing, as described below.
    Dear TWC members,

we all share a certain affection for the TW series and this website is mostly populated by people that work hard on different levels from modding to moderating, from informing us to maintaining the servers with the simple purpose to enhance our experience from the games and share our experience. And all that on a purely voluntary basis without any reward apart from the pleasure taken in a job well done.

So, it is sad and disappointing when members are constantly subjected to abuse by posters who have crossed the not so fine line between constructive criticism and unadulterated bashing. We aim to keep an open mind and an open forum for all opinions; however the type of mindless attacks towards the staff, the members and the representatives of the game's producers, that are witnessed every time a new game in the series is about to be published, will not be tolerated and the ToS will be strictly enforced.

Please help us to keep all this fun and simple.

Thank you,
    Garb.
    </b>

One word will sum up this game after 2 days of playing: UNFINISHED.

It is clearly rushed.

Rome total war & METW2 -> unique armies, larger battles, allowed reinforcements.
    METW2 -> got rid of the clone armies
    METW2 -> somewhat improved AI

Empire total war -> horrible AI, sometimes they just stand there and die.
    -> Return of the clone armies.
    -> 12 playable factions compared to the 20-30 in the other two games.
    -> No minor countries to play. (Oh ok, INDIA, that's one...... .. .... ...)
    -> 3 historical battles? wtf? why even include this in the game? 2 were in the demo... +1 is just a waste of time.
    -> 2 turn years for 1700-1800. That's like the first half of Rome total war, that's what it feels like. LAME.
    -> Basically...everything summed up, the game just feels unpolished and unfinished, which is sad, considering how great I think the game is. I like it. It's going to take a mod to finish the game because I don't see all the problems being fixed with just patches until a long time.

I told my girlfriend not to buy it and just hold off, sucks because we wanted to play together. Oh well, she'll just play mine I guess.

EDIT: This is after playing it with the 1.3.1 patch with and without mods:
    July 12th - 13th 2009

LOL this game is so terrible.

I'm playing as Portugal in 1735 and I control all of western europe, and I never had to declare war ONCE. turn 2 in the game indian factions declared war on me and took my indian settlement, then spain declared war on me, etc. etc. And when I conquered spain, france declared. and when I conquered france, which, btw, only took the marching time of my 1 army (2 turns), took paris and the other french province and won, savoy, netherlands, italy, etc. declared war on me, conquered them, then THEIR neighbors declared war on me.

I conquered swaths of territory with, guess how many stacks of troops. 1. LOL. While I was conquering naples & sicily, united provinces just sat there with a full stack looking at an undefended paris doing absolutely nothing. Wow. At least in Rome you had to defend your provinces. In empire, you don't have to! It's practically the easiest strategy game of all time. Build and win. Because the AI won't kill you. Really, they won't. I've tried.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say this game has absolutely ZERO diplomacy AI scripts and they covered it all up with an auto declare war feature as soon as you get close to their lands so you wouldn't see how absolutely terrible this game is.

In fact, if all the grand campaign is, is conquering the world because the AI suicidally declares war on you every turn if you're next to them no matter how big you are, then this isn't a strategy game, it's a pretty battle sim.

Terrible game. btw, this is my first campaign since release. I played 2 days post release then uninstalled it. Gave it a few patches and...wow..i'm amazed. I tried with and without mods also.

I'd rate this game a 45% at best. Uninstalling again, probably for good until a stainless steelish mod comes out for E:TW. Adieu.

(P.S.: If you want to know how I beat Spain so easily, its because once I took madrid the AI doesnt know how to take fortified settlements! You don't even need to garrison them! just use the 1 group of armed citizens and watch as 3,500 spanish troops aimlessly walk around madrid's walls getting shot at until they all break and run! For added effect, put 3 line infantries on the walls and watch as 3,000 spanish die at the loss of 10 troops. LOL.)
    Last edited by Aradan; August 11, 2009 at 10:47 AM.

Default Re: My rant with the game, views and a lost purchase.

Wow, are you serious? 50 turns?

I thought it was 6 month turns for 200. I easily go up to like 125 before I get bored.

no you are right kogen. You just misread, 2 turns per year not 2 years per turn.

Berdiche Knyaz's Avatar Biarchus

I thought it was one per year
    The A.I. is doing alright for me, but still they are stupid at points
    I completely agree with you and the factions, I thought it was just stupid that 12 were only playable, it is EMPIRE but still why not make an empire from a minor nation?

-Berdiche Knyaz
    America: Total War Teammate
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=224197

Its better than M2 alright, but it has tons of bad bugs which cause crashes.

Last total wars had similar feeling. (M2 ridiculous bug which allowed you to shoot enemy afar without them even trying to stop you, this is not the case in ETW)

True the game is rushed and a really dissapointing!

But your GF plays games with you lol? Tomboy?? or ? My GF HATES! games and hasnt even got a decent pc to play new games :\

Gonzo89's Avatar Miles

Within about a week all the factions will be unlocked by someone modding the config files, so why is it even as issue?

They've already explained why they've left factions out - it would take to long to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by HansDuet View Post
    Its better than M2 alright, but it has tons of bad bugs which cause crashes.

Last total wars had similar feeling. (M2 ridiculous bug which allowed you to shoot enemy afar without them even trying to stop you, this is not the case in ETW)

Whats better exactly?

The only thign i see which is better is map size but theres still alot less towns!

I can totally sympathise with the general lacklustre feeling people are experiencing atm playing empires (not everyone ofc quite a few people say they love it).

I guess it kind of is unfinished and tbh I don't like the new graphics engine, looks worse than Age of Empires 3 and the sliding characters, horrible UI, lack of unit variation, insulting amount of cities and game stipulations such as loose you're main city i.e. London and you've lost the game.

The positives however is the game is extended fully to the Americas, the Indian sub continent + some pirate/trading islands is a great step forward.

I can only hope that modders are allowed to change more of the game than they were able to in MTW2 if only for the preservation of this game till they release the next TW game since I would gladly rather play MTW2 atm after the shine on ETW runs out.

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

Meh. I still want it. Even if it's just so I can mod it.

Quote Originally Posted by Weehamish View Post
    Whats better exactly?

The only thign i see which is better is map size but theres still alot less towns!
    Less towns?

In my game there are towns pretty much everywhere.

EDIT:

Or do you mean settlements? I do not miss siegefest of M2 or RTW, this is better in that aspect of gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo89 View Post
    Within about a week all the factions will be unlocked by someone modding the config files, so why is it even as issue?

They've already explained why they've left factions out - it would take to long to implement.

No the reason is because they all LOOK THE SAME so why bother?

Oh, good. Glad I misread that.

I really liked Medieval 2 and it took several months to get it running right with patches and mods. Sadly I think the same thing will happen now.

Also CA said you can unlock the other factions by editing files. Do not worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by HansDuet View Post
    Less towns?

In my game there are towns pretty much everywhere.

Still not as many as mtw2 for the map size! theres 1 in scotland ffs and 1 in england !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo89 View Post
    Must be the same reason they made most of the units exact copies of each other. God forbid they put TIME into their game that we pay money to play.

I agree with pretty much every negative thing said about this game. It's horribly disappointing that they released such a clearly unfinished product.

Berdiche Knyaz's Avatar Biarchus

I really like this game
    But sadly CA rushed it IMO, I mean another delay would've been better than this (I could've handled that).
    But C'mon, Terrible Map, lack of cities, lack of units, lack of a lot of stuff just makes me moar disappointed than a delay

-Berdiche Knyaz
    America: Total War Teammate
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=224197

I hated constant siege battles. More land battles it what was needed.

magpie's Avatar Artifex

Hi all, I dont have the game yet?
    The number of factions being limited to 12 to start with.?
    This I think is because the other factions have not been given the detail treatment of the open ones.
    Most likely CA will upgrade these with further patches so you can unlock them in the future.
    Just my guess.
    regards. mags

sponsered by the noble Prisca

Quote Originally Posted by Weehamish View Post
    Still not as many as mtw2 for the map size! theres 1 in scotland ffs and 1 in england !!!
    If you miss that, its a matter of opinion.

IMO number of settlements =/= automatically good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brikker View Post
    Must be the same reason they made most of the units exact copies of each other. God forbid they put TIME into their game that we pay money to play.

I agree with pretty much every negative thing said about this game. It's horribly disappointing that they released such a clearly unfinished product.
    It's also the reason they made the one of the playable factions neon yellow. My eyes bleed every time i see the Spanish.