Thread: A thread for constructive questions and answers pertaining to the usage of the game from a playing rather than technical point of view

Icon5 A thread for constructive questions and answers pertaining to the usage of the game from a playing rather than technical point of view

Hi,

I hope people will use this thread to constructively to ask and answer gameplay questions.

I have been playing for a couple of days and wonder if people can help with the following issues:

1) Do militia units cost resources to maintain? In MW2 they did not depending on the size of the castle so I wonder if it is the same here.

2) Artillery. Is it better to stick them into the front line or should they be behind it? Also, I did not find howitzers as useful as I thought they would be - any tips on using them?

Default Re: A thread for constructive questions and answers pertaining to the usage of the game from a playing rather than technical point of view

i'm also wondering if it's prudent to put melee unit infront of line men, can they fire through their ranks? is there an accuracy penalty? or a heavy death toll?

Canons seem to shoot fine above peoples heads from what i've seen

Default Re: A thread for constructive questions and answers pertaining to the usage of the game from a playing rather than technical point of view

As long as your cannon arent directly behind your infantry/cavalry they will shoot over

Cannister shot will rip through your own units though, so if you want to use that make sure the cannons have a straight shot to the nearby enemy.

Mustket friendly fire seems to be either off or not do much damage at all. Definitely seems to cause less friendly deaths than archers did in m2tw.

Cannons can be extremely effective, a lot just depends on luck. I had an enemy cavalry unit pause to all clear a wall right as a round of shells slammed into them. About half their unit was wiped out and they ran before even closing to my lines. Cannister shot decimates troups at close range, and a cannon ball on the flank of a line of troops can be absolutely devastating.

From what I have seen in about 50 turns, militia troops always cost upkeep, but the towns get a base amount of trash troops - villagers armed with their own flintlock muskets - and these troops seem to have no cost.

Artillery - Thanks for the observations. I think that maybe entrenching the howitzers stopped them being able to move to fire properly?

Militia - Yes, I have encountered the town's folk although they are worse than the militias in MW2 I think. They are kind of equivalent to peasants from the last version. Cannon fodder.

New question - Building up cities - Each province has a main city yet on RTI only some build up past the administrative building it would seem. Is this the same in the GC?

Yes some towns are regional capitals that can have 4-5 buildings in them while others all you get are the admin building. I have only played about 50 turns so I am not entirely sure if smaller zones can grow enough to become a regional capital theirselves. I kinda doubt it.

The cannon fodder are fun, you can just use them to distract the enemy while your real units flank. And there really is no need to fear if they take heavy casualties =). Usually if i know that I can win the battle easily then ill just see how many of them i can get killed.