Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you force a nation to become a protectorate

Default How do you force a nation to become a protectorate

So I'm playing as Austria, it's going quite well. I've got most of the small German stats as my protectorates for just being stronger and a friendly guy I guess, but I had built up a big enough force that I decided it was time to go after Prussia, before they outdeveloped my technology.

So I beat them pretty badly, Took Berlin and West Prussia (they had 4 regions), but I kept searching the diplomatic menu and I could never find a force protectorate option.

Anyone else find a way to do this?

Default Re: How do you force a nation to become a protectorate

Ask for peace, it's in that menu.

"With such valorous troops, I could easily become King of Italy"
    Frederick II the Great, after the Piedmontese victory at the Battle of the Assietta (1747)

Hardrada992's Avatar Decanus

The button is there, on the menu where you decide what to offer. It says something like "Become Protectorate." It isn't on the main screen that tells you how different nations feel about you, if thats what you mean

I can ask for peace, yeah, but I want them permanently under my control. I want to create a vast network of protectorates that I get money from without having to bother with governing.

I know how to make a protectorate when the faction in question likes you! I just can't find a way to FORCE a country to become a protectorate after I thrashed them.

Otherside's Avatar Ordinarius

im playing as sweden and im the most powerful in the world at the moment apart from in navy which england leads.

anyway i got bored as i couldnt attack many of my neighbors because they have a big allaince so i attacked hanover.

i went into thier lands and had a large battle near one of their cities, after destroying the army they sent me a peace offer that they would become protectorate and give me cash, so i said ye ok (on another note its kool to see the deplomacy work well they where defeated in war and took a loss instead of suicide of other games)

but heres my question why would i want this protectorate what do i gain from it?

You cant make major nations as your protectorate afaik
    6,022*10^23

I would just give it up. The AI tends to just spit in your face when you ask them to submit like that. You can have them down to their last province and no army left and they'll still say no. Put 'em to the sword and let God sort 'em out.

TheBlobThing's Avatar Semisalis

I have several protectorates in both my GB and my Prussian campaign.

When you've beat them down to one or two provinces open diplomacy and ask for peace. When a peace deal is a part of the suggestion (IE before you actually press the suggest button and go through with the deal) the become protectorate button will appear.
    I've had both Sweden and Denmark become a protectorate, so both minor and major nations can come under your wing.

@ Otherside, half their income goes to you, so you get a financial gain. And if you declare war and decide to take your allies with you they have to declare war with you if they don't want to join you.

Protectorates are awesome and I almost always let defeated enemies keep a rump state that becomes my protectorate.
    Disclaimer:
    The above are my current opinions and are liable to change according to mood, time of day, degree of sleep deprivation endured and/or level of inebriation.

awisler's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by sffix View Post
    You cant make major nations as your protectorate afaik
    Not true, in my Prussian campaign, I took Poland-Lithuania down to 1 province in Russia and they are now my protectorate, creating a nice little buffer state.

I had something weird in my campaign: I made Poland my protectorate and the next turn Russia, my allies crushed their last region without anybody asking me to intervene.

Sailor's Avatar Tiro

The option only appears if they are down to their last region. And yes, you can make major nations your protectorate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    :usflag:

I remember someone said 50% (or some certain percentage) of protectorate's income goes into protector's coffer. Does this undermine protectorate's economy and overall strength (such as military power) as well?

In other words, if the protectorate is invaded and will they produce military forces strong enough to fend off the invasion?

You can make any nation a protectorate as long as they are down to one region. An easy way to get protectorates is to offer them territory. For example, playing as Sweden I took over one of Poland's territories and then offered it to Hannover (who had only one territory, hence they were avaliable as protectorates) in exchange for being a protectorate. They accepted, and now Hannover had two territories and I had a protectorate. Remeber they only need to be down to one territory when you make the offer, you can give them as many territories as you want!

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm...I don't actually like having to cross the ocean to get to my colonies. Finding a protectorate and establishing it in the new world or India seems a nice alternative.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Hmmm...I don't actually like having to cross the ocean to get to my colonies. Finding a protectorate and establishing it in the new world or India seems a nice alternative.
    Well is isn't the same story. To get a protectorate you will often have to make war of to pay some money. The real point of territories on other continents is more trade. So you should instead take some provinces for you. After that you can still have protectorates. Remember protectorates can't produce units for you and maintaining a garnison in them is expensive.
    Meanwhile if you still want protectorates overseas I can advice you these:
    - Mysore in india has one sing region and is the only protectorate you can get there.
    - In america some native factions have only one region like Texas or the Inuit. For the inuits there is no real point: weak income and no use to cross their territory.
    - Most emerging factions in bot continents can be made as protectorates.

Usually I think its the same code from previous TW games, if there down to 1-2 provinces and loosing badly in your war they will allow it.. But during my campaigns I always have to pay to get them to become a protectorate and find out few years later 'Territorial expansion' forces them to wardec you

An easy way to gain protectorates in the standard settings of the game, is to trade military access for becoming a protectorate in the first turn. As GB, i gained every possible protectorate- most accepted for 20 turns access to my land and 100 gold- the only ones that didnt were Mysore and Italian States which both accepted in return for infinite access and 400 gold. This cash can easily be gained by selling infinite access to someone you know you are going to fight- such as Huron for GB.

Can someone post a thread giving good tech trades for prospective nations-as most of the trades seem grossly unfair. Only halfway decent one i can find so far is Seasoning to France paying 2.4k G in exchange for Physiocracy, which you can offset by selling to Maratha or Mughal (the latter is nice and evil cos they then spend money developing resources you are going to invade).

But cant find anything that will get me 2nd tier farms, plug bayonet or 1st lvl cannons without costing an arm and a leg or researching it myself. Good job i took the historical hint to switch Oxford away from a church school and have Isaac Newton on my side

Will I get my campaign completed if one of the regions I was told to occupy is my protectorate?

Okmin's Avatar In vino veritas

Yes. Did that in my Prussian campaign with Hannover.
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Under the patronage of The Lizard King
    Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast