Thread: Ammo limits and fixed bayonets

Default Ammo limits and fixed bayonets

Hi
    I was playing a few skirmish battles last night, trying to optimize my graphics settings.

One thing I noticed is that when I ordered my line infantry to fix bayonets I could no longer turn melee off, or "unfix" the bayonets.

Does this mean when you fix bayonets you can never fire the weapon again?

Is this done because normally a fix bayonet charge is done when ammo and been extinguished?

Or this is this a bug and i am supposed to be able to unfix bayonets and return to regular firing?

Also I've noticed that when troops have been firing for a while they set themselves to melee mode and i cant un-check it, does this mean they ran out of ammo?

If so it doesn't show ammo levels anywhere on the interface, nor does it state that my army are out of ammo.

I checked the manual but couldn't find anything relating to this.

Cheers

Luke

Default Re: Ammo limits and fixed bayonets

green bar on the units at the bottom of the screen is their ammo, if there's no bar at all... there's no ammo.

Rosbjerg's Avatar Tiro

One thing I noticed is that when I ordered my line infantry to fix bayonets I could no longer turn melee off, or "unfix" the bayonets.

Does this mean when you fix bayonets you can never fire the weapon again?
    That's because you haven't researched "Ring Bayonets" and you're using "Plug Bayonets" - essentially they put a big knife down the barrel and then it's stuck like that. While the ring type allows you to shoot while it's on (in fact it's always on, so you just switch between melee and firing).

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Using the early tech to fix bayonets is a one shot deal. You got to use the bayonets even if the unit had some ammo left before you fixed those bayonets.

Hi
    Cool all makes sense now, I didn't realize that the first bayonets were just shoved down the barrel

I'll have a look out for the green bar.

Cheers

yeh, plug bayonets are a mixed blessing. They can make your early infantry durable in melee, but make them useless as a ranged unit. Bring on socket bayonets!

Yeah the first generation bayonetts arent that great.... best not to use them unless its an emergency. Ring bayonetts let you do both melee and fire!!

I was playing a campaign battle earlier today, and i had just researched ring bayonets. However, the wee battle adviser guy said it was possible to fix/unfix bayonets by using a button in the lower left hand corner of the screen. The problem is, the button is not there and my troops start the battle with bayonets attached. Is this a bug or are you just unable to detach ring bayonets in battle, and have to wait until you have researched latch bayonets?
    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Declaration of Arbroath, 1320AD

Quote Originally Posted by calicheSCOT View Post
    I was playing a campaign battle earlier today, and i had just researched ring bayonets. However, the wee battle adviser guy said it was possible to fix/unfix bayonets by using a button in the lower left hand corner of the screen. The problem is, the button is not there and my troops start the battle with bayonets attached. Is this a bug or are you just unable to detach ring bayonets in battle, and have to wait until you have researched latch bayonets?
    That's for plug bayonets, which you got rid of by researching Ring Bayonets. Ring Bayonets are permanently on (until you research Socket Bayonets), so all you have to do to use them is switch to melee mode. You can fire while they're on, so after you're done in melee, you can go back to ranged.

Quote Originally Posted by calicheSCOT View Post

Least someone asked this other than me, thought i was going insane earlier when playing... The general told me repeatedly how to do it, and i was already on ring ones...

Hello, I'm new here and have some questions.

First of all, could someone explain which units use ring bayonets and why does my advisor keep telling me set up bayonets to my troops even though there is no button for it? Some of my troops have them on but some then doesn't. Bit confusing...

Another thing, I researched bayonets and they dont seem to do anything in close combat, still hundreds of casualties. (dont know if enemy has them, at least they are not showing in their weapons) Am I doing something wrong?

Anyway, great game and great forum

I believe that ring bayonets are fitted to all line infantry units and they are automaticly fitted to them but to right melee properly you need to click the melee option on the bottom right. With the first bayonet the plug one you have to click the bayonet button to have them fit the bayonet then they are locked in melee mode.