Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Don't blame CA, blame Steam

Default Re: don't blame ca, blame steam

For goodness sakes enough with these threads. It's been beaten over the head enough, so what do you want to hear? You're just feeding the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by sillyfrenchman View Post

Steam = SecuROM 2.0 = more bugs, headaches, and bloody foreheads/walls for many well-meaning fans.
    This says absolutely nothing specific, come up with your own real gripes rather than just echo what other people are saying.
    Last edited by Larry Blackmon's Codpiece; March 06, 2009 at 08:50 AM.

double post sorry.

boofhead's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Slappfisk View Post
    Generally, if you disagree with the terms of the EULA you can receive a full refund via the publisher but by all means don't let that get in the way of your righteous anger.
    Don't let mumbo jumbo EULA's get in the way of what customers actually want either. If EULA's screamed the actual reality of what they contained at gamers with a voiceover and and image that nobody could alt-tab out of then nobody would buy them. They are kept as small print when excited (for the most part) teenage boys just want to play the game.....all they have to do is click the box.

They are generally quite disgraceful. "You don't own the game you buy. But that's cool, we'll let you play it."

Quote Originally Posted by boofhead View Post
    Don't let mumbo jumbo EULA's get in the way of what customers actually want either. If EULA's screamed the actual reality of what they contained at gamers with a voiceover and and image that nobody could alt-tab out of then nobody would buy them. They are kept as small print when excited (for the most part) teenage boys just want to play the game.....all they have to do is click the box.

They are generally quite disgraceful. "You don't own the game you buy. But that's cool, we'll let you play it."
    I am not making an argument for or against EULAs only against the statement that steam was making "unauthorised transmissions" or somesuch.

As for not owning the game, define what owning the game even means?

As for not owning the game, define what owning the game even means?
    How about you pay money for it and you can install it on your pc and play it? How about you can sell your disc also if you've had enough of it, or don't like it anymore or whatever? It should just be copyrighted like anything else in the world.

How about you pay money for it and you can install it on your pc and play it? How about you can sell your disc also if you've had enough of it, or don't like it anymore or whatever?
    You pay to play it. You do not pay to copy it, change it and redistribute it, etc. What part of this is so hard to understand? Although I think you should be able to resell your game, those days are over.

(crap to get rid of)
    In FRAY's alpha
    "When one dies, it is a tragedy. When a million die, it is a statistic."
    -The mods, try them all!-

How about you pay money for it and you can install it on your pc and play it? How about you can sell your disc also if you've had enough of it, or don't like it anymore or whatever?
    This occurs on a daily and almost universal basis. In fact in some countries there are game stores who make a large portion of their profits by trading in used games.

Quote Originally Posted by failspy View Post
    You pay to play it. You do not pay to copy it, change it and redistribute it, etc. What part of this is so hard to understand? Although I think you should be able to resell your game, those days are over.
    Who says most people do any of that? And who says you can't sell an item that you buy? Can I sell a car? Can I sell a washing machine? They have copyrighted programs in them too.

If those days are over, then my days buying games are over. I will NEVER buy a Steam based game.

It is a complete RORT. They are doing it because they can, not because it is a fair system.

There will come a day soon, mark my words - the more you people rent these games as a pretend purchase, everything else will go this way also.

It's disgusting, and it should be CRIMINAL.

Who says most people do any of that? And who says you can't sell an item that you buy? Can I sell a car? Can I sell a washing machine? They have copyrighted programs in them too.

If those days are over, then my days buying games are over. I will NEVER buy a Steam based game.

It is a complete RORT. They are doing it because they can, not because it is a fair system.

There will come a day soon, mark my words - the more you people rent these games as a pretend purchase, everything else will go this way also.

We gotta change the system man, lets take it to the streets!

I sincerely hope your previous 10,000 posts are not as deranged as this one.

I think you're all just looking for someone else to blame.

I've used steam for 6 years. I used to hate it, because there was no real point to it. The past 3 years they've been releasing amazing deals for software and incorporating a bunch of features into said games that make them better than their disk counterparts.

In 6 years, steam has NEVER been responsible for ANY of my games not working. Never, not a single time. Grow up people, steam isn't hurting anything, at the very least, and at the best its making this game a whole lot better.

I cant see how people can defend Steam.

This whole anti piracy is a lie, Steam collects user information from people that register and pass that on to 3rd partys for advertising purposes. Sega/CA or whoever, probably got a big chunk of money signing exclusivley with Steam.

People who pirate, will pirate no matter what, stuff like this is about making more money, not trying to reduce lost money.

The Count(er)'s Avatar Protector Domesticus

We gotta change the system man, lets take it to the streets!

different opinion = deranged, that's odd logic, I actually agree with Boofhead, although he may of came off a little strong with his opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaigidel View Post
    everyone but me is wrong.
    Ego's are fun

Quote Originally Posted by Signus View Post
    I think you're all just looking for someone else to blame.

I've used steam for 6 years. I used to hate it, because there was no real point to it. The past 3 years they've been releasing amazing deals for software and incorporating a bunch of features into said games that make them better than their disk counterparts.

In 6 years, steam has NEVER been responsible for ANY of my games not working. Never, not a single time. Grow up people, steam isn't hurting anything, at the very least, and at the best its making this game a whole lot better.
    Thing is it's completely unnecessary. It's an extra middleman where none is required....but they'll tell you it's necessay.

No need to be insulting. Many people who have been gaming since 1984 would recognize the same insidious pattern as I do. It's crunch time, for me at least. You lads go on your merry way.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOz View Post
    I cant see how people can defend Steam.

This whole anti piracy is a lie, Steam collects user information from people that register and pass that on to 3rd partys for advertising purposes. Sega/CA or whoever, probably got a big chunk of money signing exclusivley with Steam.

People who pirate, will pirate no matter what, stuff like this is about making more money, not trying to reduce lost money.
    lol the most steam has EVER done was take a survey about what graphics card I was using (and suggest I upgrade my drivers if I tried to play a game that was out of my league) and then send me the results of said graphics card poll. There's no deep scanning of your system and sending it off to spam bots, jesus christ take off the tin foil hat.

I'd much rather deal with Steam than Gamespy, which ALWAYS gave me mutliplayer issues, crashing from the lobby, things just plain not working, and with the steam client updates can come out much faster, instead of waiting a few months to release massive patches via download. Steam helps a TON for multiplayer, of that no one can deny. For those who enjoy the singleplayer game, not a whole lot of benefit, but it doesn't hurt even a little bit. Also, steam games ARE harder to pirate.

Now, I always hate BS like securom, or windows live, or the 4 systems GTA4 made me sign up for before I could even save me game. I can easily say Steam is nothing like that other BS.
    Last edited by Signus; March 06, 2009 at 09:23 AM.

I agree, i did want to rent this game before i buy, until the clerk told me they couldnt get copys in for people to rent because of Steam.

You cant trust reviews for what a game will be like, every review i read said this game was awesome, it wasnt until i read forums i heard about all the bull you have to go thru just to install

Steam doesn't stop pirating. Go to any popular torrent site and search for it, you'll find quite a lot of hits, most are even the Special Forces edition.

I bought the game anyways.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by sillyfrenchman View Post
    Well, the theory is the latest. :hmmm:

Online registration/verification is the final frontier (currently possible) of the piracy struggle. It has not stopped piracy.
    It was never designed to stop piracy alltoghether. The anti-piracy stuff is just one part of Steam, & is pretty much just designed to stop zero-day piracy. If a product needs to be activated via Steam, the pirates can't beat the developers and get it out there before the release date. It's the ability for people to get a game before it goes on sale that can really kill a games sales.

Alot of people here seem to be wildly un-educated when it comes to Steam & it's funcitons/purpose.

Thing is it's completely unnecessary. It's an extra middleman where none is required....but they'll tell you it's necessay.
    So you purchase your games directly from publishers and avoid the "extra middleman" aka the retailer?

Quote Originally Posted by Signus View Post
    lol the most steam has EVER done was take a survey about what graphics card I was using (and suggest I upgrade my drivers if I tried to play a game that was out of my league) and then send me the results of said graphics card poll. There's no deep scanning of your system and sending it off to spam bots, jesus christ take off the tin foil hat.

Its not that, its selling your email address, taking up your computers resources when your trying to play a game to check your system.

Its not just steam, games for windows live does it aswell, if you download a user made patch that turns off the windows live in Fallout 3, it improves performance noticabley.

hopefully there will be something similar for this game, i already read in the other thread about when a guy disconnected steam he stopt getting freezing in game.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast