Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions and requests

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default Re: Suggestions and requests

I didn't mean to sound harsh

We just try to follow the best of XGM tradition and stay as open to community feedback as we can, meaning that I'm going to state strong and often that things don't get run by my whims

Yo comprendo espanol y hablo poquito.
    In one of my two native languages como quieras is translated as "cumente cheres" but it's slightly stronger in meaning.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Anakarsis's Avatar Biarchus

Think also that ím argentinian, we normally treat each other very bad some other spanish talkers are sometimes scandalized.

Back on topic, do you have ANY information at all of Bithynian Military? i could not found anything. But they independized from the Achaemenids, then defeated a general of Alexander and later defeated Lysimachus. They were a solid ally of the Romans against the pontic and hellenistic kingdoms until they peacefully joined the empire....How did they fight? Perhaps Graeco-Anatolian style, with shielded cavalry, good archers and carian-style warriors? did they use thracian-like troops? i have no idea.

Unfortunately the area is pretty badly covered.
    I'd suspect a mix of eastern, thracian, galatian and greek units went into their army given the location but that's pretty much it...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Miles

Eastern horse archers(the most basic ones) should have their metal helmets removed and have leather caps or no helmets at all. Isn't ahistorical for not noble ordinary nomads to have metal armour ? Scythian basic HAs don't have armour at all, they rely on speed to evade enemy and their arrows, parthian basic HAs should do that too, but their metal helmets give an advantage over scythian regular HAs against enemy arrows.

Also, are Parthians going to have basic eastern archer added back to their roster ?

Finally, I think that Parthia and Scythia should be more alike combat stat-wise as they both are nomads.

I'll see what I can do for parthian HA.
    We could add the basic archers back in parthian roster, it shouldn't be a problem.

About combat performance, what do you exactly mean?
    They should be pretty close barring any equipment difference.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

I like to play Scythia and normally the Parthians are the most dangerous enemies in played battles. Both factions has almost the same stats now.....i found no differences in combat. Perhaps that "Scythian" (Sarmatian in true) heavy cavalry should rely more on strenght and Parthians more on armor (There is a limit to the "bonus" that the weigth adds to the momentum of the shock; Parthian cataphracts may should have a lesser attack as the weigth of their armor prevents them to reach optimum charging speed), but appart from this technicism, they are virtually the same

Also, Parthian horse archers may have helmets, but their armour stat is not much better than that of scythians. If we were going to be purist, virtually NOBODY in antiquity used to go to battle without a helmet, a leather one at least; even berserkers and other "naked warriors" usually protected their head.
    Last edited by Anakarsis; October 21, 2009 at 11:18 AM.

IIRC scythians have a slight bonus due to being barbarians, will check later.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Miles

Scythian basic HAs now have 0 armour while parthian basic HAs have 3(due to their metal helmet).
    IMO, they should both have a leather cap.

Scythians have +2 attack and + 1def. skill due to being barbarian, while parthia has +1 attack and -2 morale, because they are easterners. Also, does morale penalty applies to professional and elite units ?

In XC to freshen up nomad unit rosters you could add HA/charger like scythian riders(lightly armoured) from EB and you could give Scythian noble archers a lance instead of axe(you could give axe to noble women), and for Parthian cataphract archers you could also give a lance instead of a sword.
    Last edited by Shadow_LT; October 21, 2009 at 02:15 PM.

What you're asking is not so easy as we have no stable modeler/skinner.
    I may replace the HA rider model with something lighter but easterners should have better equipment to compensate against scythians imho.

Also, take into account that the scythians are in the process of being replaced with another faction from the same area so the issue may not arise in the long term.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Miles

I agree on that parthians should have better equipment than scythians, because parthians were begining to settle, while scythians(sarmatians) were true nomads. But their light HA units should have similar armour stats, because they are basically the same. They were simple nomads whose armour at best was made from leather.

Are you going to be putting Legionary Cavalry and Onagers(for most factions) back in?
    I dearly miss both.

Those were both ahistorical, ballistas got double numbers to compensate.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

onagers were ahistorical? just asking......i know that in sieges like Numantia (by the way, certain Barbarian capitals should have better walls than just pallisades...), the Romans could not break into and have to wait for the sieged to surrender. But i also think that i remember Caesar saying that he used catapults against a Gaul camp that were unexpecting an attack....may be they can be placed as post-marian troops

And for the cavalry, what about adding a "Heavy Auxiliary Cavalry" (spear/sword-armed) unit with a similar position to that of the former Legionary?

Onagers were used during the imperial era, and so later than our timeframe.

Catapult is a derivative word from kata-peltes, which ironically is the ballista in this timeframe and it was also used to hurl stones in a modified version.
    TBH there were some catapult-like engines during our timeframe but were much smaller than the onagers and close to ballista in shooting power. Too bad that CA made engines unmoddable, otherwise we'd have adapted the smaller catapult from M2TW.

Heavy Cavalry auxiliaries? That sounds a lot like the post marian "Roman Cavalry", which is statted as an heavy cavalry unit now, although probably not as good as its competitors.

Remember that historically the romans used pretty much the equivalent of our AOR units, later on with some modifications but not that much.
    Even Crassus in his infamous expedition could count only on his gallic auxiliaries as main cavalry force, which says a lot about what cavalry the romans could field.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Fair enough, Onagers are ahistorical for this time-frame.
    But, what about larger Ballistae, or at least something that can throw boulders?
    I mean, EB has "One Talent Stone Projectors," or something along those lines.

About the Roman cavalry, yeah, I'll give that their cavalry was not as good.
    But, could the Roman Cavalry at least get the Legionary cavalry look, or at least
    get lorica segmentata, like Praetorian Cav?

Also, what's this about engines being unmoddable?
    As in, no editing them, or no new types?

We could use an eb-like solution of ballistas/scorpion throwing boulders but that looks just silly imho. Unfortunately it seems that both changing and making new siege engines in impossible, otherwise bigger mods than ours would have done it already.

Take into account that there were very few instances of cities taken by massive use of siege weapons in our timeframe so that's something which should remain difficult imho.

IIRC greek and romans preferred undermining or using rams against walls, (later in our timeframe Marc Anthony's siege train is described as having a 20m long ram, capable of shattering walls with the strenght of a small modern cannon), I wonder if stone walls could be modified to take damage from rams as well.

That said, if you think that the current siege engines are insufficient for city assault roles I'll increase the number of ballistaes in an unit, making them enough to breach a stone wall (and increasing cost of course).

About LS units, it's already a stretch on infantry as it was quite rare until imperial times, I'm not even sure if cavalry used it at all...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

I dont know if the segmentata could be used mounted AT ALL. It´s a pretty confortable piece of equipment, but its clumsy ffor certain movements, and i never heard of a cavalry using it. Roman cavalry used chain mail or lamellar-scaled armours copied from easterners.

That's what I also remember, need to check a few sources to be sure.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Also, some reinforcements of the segmentata, like the heavy shoulder guards or the helmet reinforcements, seems pretty useless when mounted, as you will hardly receive a descendent strike. Instead, knee and leg protection is much more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_LT View Post
    I agree on that parthians should have better equipment than scythians, because parthians were begining to settle, while scythians(sarmatians) were true nomads. But their light HA units should have similar armour stats, because they are basically the same. They were simple nomads whose armour at best was made from leather.
    I tried my hand at it and here's the result:

What do you think?
    The Best Is Yet To Come: