Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions and requests

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default Re: Suggestions and requests

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Kolyo View Post
    Don't know if i should post this here,but - Playing as Bactria all my fighting FM very quickly start to loose their bodyguards due to traits. Fighting TSE they gain traits like victor, victor in Asia etc. So normally my generals have units of 13-15 men (i play with large unit scale). I understand the need to make them easier to assassinate when they become popular, but probably there should be some counter measures to keep the amount of men in the unit. When a leader became famous for his success, more men would come to join him to get some loot and fame. What do you think?
    I'll get Suppanut to look into it.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Suppanut's Avatar Idea-O-Matic

Don't know if i should post this here,but - Playing as Bactria all my fighting FM very quickly start to loose their bodyguards due to traits. Fighting TSE they gain traits like victor, victor in Asia etc. So normally my generals have units of 13-15 men (i play with large unit scale). I understand the need to make them easier to assassinate when they become popular, but probably there should be some counter measures to keep the amount of men in the unit. When a leader became famous for his success, more men would come to join him to get some loot and fame. What do you think?
    I have different mind set about what that come up with fame and glory. It attract people as much as disillusion them( you could see the example from what Beethoven react when he saw Napoleon crown as emperor. and Alexander from his companions' attitude at near end of his too great life.) as praise usually come with hidden criticism no matter how great it is. I could say that great life style is doomed people who pursue it as well as their descendent who follow him.

I agree that my setting maybe too much penalty and promise for better measure for future version. but due to it is near released schedule of XC4 which will attached with ET3 so in short term I will rebalance its penalty of being great person.

In long term for future ET, I will re-haul system of being great. Player and character will have some good honeymoon with glory and fame for a while before it beaten back by its bad effect that will doomed character who pursue it by separated good early coming from a lot of bad things that will follow it.

Thank for your comment. I promise for the better system in the future.
    Last edited by Suppanut; October 05, 2009 at 06:24 AM.
    Is proudly patroned by the Great Balikedes.

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

Yeah i'm not generally against bad traits for the great generals. My point is that good and successful commanders will gather more men around them. This is especially true for the germanic way of warfare - the more famous the konnung, more men would gather around him. Great generals could have more problems with management or public order to balance their military skills.
    None of my bactrian generals has some great status - they are good commanders with 5-6 stars, yet because of their victories with small armies against TSE, they have very small bodyguard units. And due to the nature of RTW it is impossible to not have to fight for your life against the seleucids. In 252 i already have 90 battles fought...
    Thanks Suppanut.
    Last edited by Kara Kolyo; October 05, 2009 at 08:33 AM.

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Uhh, could the Heavy Persian Cavalry get a half armored mount, to reflect their
    high status in society and the military? Not to mention they would look even cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Legionary View Post
    Actually, Zarax, I noticed that the Parthians were swapped with the Huns in the
    new descr_sm_factions; but that was after I found out that the Parthians were still
    "parthia" in the new EDU...
    At least, that's how I remember it.

Anyway, it would be a lot easier for me if there was a no-senate
    balanced EDU, would you be able to do that?
    I say that because I would do custom battles for sure, but I
    have some good campaigns going, like a Roman one in 204 B.C.,
    and I don't want to unbalance them right away.
    Once I get the bugs ironed out, I'll put out a beta for Extended Cultures 4 which will include the rebalancing among other changes.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

SWEET.
    It'll have the "good" EDU, right?
    The one with ~30 total defense Argyraspid Thorakitai?

Anyway, what else would there be in the way of changes for a beta
    of 4.0?
    Military colonies for other factions, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Legionary View Post
    Uhh, could the Heavy Persian Cavalry get a half armored mount, to reflect their
    high status in society and the military? Not to mention they would look even cooler.
    Persian cavalry got horse barding in the latest internal build

SWEET.
    It'll have the "good" EDU, right?
    The one with ~30 total defense Argyraspid Thorakitai?

Anyway, what else would there be in the way of changes for a beta
    of 4.0?
    Military colonies for other factions, perhaps?
    Yes, it will have the new EDU, extensively reorganized and with some tweaks.

We don't have any other military colonies planned, however if you think some other faction deserves it and historically made extensive use of that kind of units we will consider it.
    Last edited by Zarax; October 05, 2009 at 11:10 AM.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Horse barding, you mean like Persian Heavies in EB?
    If so, that's AWESOME.

Cheers about the EDU, and I'll think about military colonies
    for other factions.

Uhh, maybe Baktrians having an Indian Colony set?
    I dunno, they did convert to a Indo-Hellenic kingdom after
    losing Baktria itself, so...

What about Thracian colonies? the thracians were used extensively by the succesors.

Proud patron of Cymera

Macedon has a Thracian Colony set, I think.

I mean the asian diadochi too - seleucids used thracians for quite long

Proud patron of Cymera

They have Galatian colonies, to make up for no Thracians.

You mean like the macedonian thracian colony?

About the indian colony, this is a case where the baktrians colonized India rather than them recruiting indians outside their AOR.

EDIT: historically seleucid and ptolemies incorporated the thracian settlers into exisiting units, while galatians were recruited in their native style.
    Last edited by Zarax; October 05, 2009 at 12:22 PM.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

I havent tried the macedonian campaign so can't tell if it's the same. My idea is that the diadochi could have the option to choose what colony they want to build - in one region it could be galatian, in another thracian? From what i've seen the seleucids had thracian contingents even during second century BC

Proud patron of Cymera

I havent tried the macedonian campaign so can't tell if it's the same. My idea is that the diadochi could have the option to choose what colony they want to build - in one region it could be galatian, in another thracian?
    If you can show a historical source for Ptolomies or Seleuicds using Thracians, or Macedonians using Galatians, we'll be glad to change that.

Would battle of Raphia be enough? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Raphia Yeah i know it's wiki, but if you want i can get more info. There are thracians fighting on both sides. As for macedon using galatian mercks i have no idea. My point was only for the asian diadochi.

Proud patron of Cymera

That makes a fairly good point for the Ptolomies.

It's up to you to decide wheter to make the thracians available. It could be a refreshing bonus to the great campaigns, but can live without them too... Here is written about thracian settlements in Persis and some about their service for the seleucids. http://books.google.bg/books?id=Y_sA...eucids&f=false
    The parts about thracians should be at the lower part of the article. Should be highlited.

Proud patron of Cymera

Ok, Thracians are plausible enough for the Ptolomies and Seleucids in my mind.

Thanks for the info, Kara Kolyo.

Now that I've given it a little thought, should nomads(Scythia, Parthia, but Scythia ESPECIALLY)
    get Greek colonies? Historically, the Saka, Sarmatians and Parthians made extensive use of Greek auxiliary
    infantry, to make up for their native lack of that troop type.