Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to man a forts cannon during siege

Default Re: How to man a forts cannon during siege

Dragoons and snipers are the units to use for star forts. Small enough that the twists and turns do not effect them and powerful enough to wipe units efficiently.

Lets see you climb that wall with grenades blowing away everyone gathered around the bottom. Who needs murder holes.

wubbs77's Avatar Miles

I had a seige battle where I had 3 units on defense (2 firlock armed citizenry, 1 militia) vs about 5 units of cherokee. my guys did very little damage from the walls, so I retreated them into the fort. garrisoned the two buildings right and left of the flag, and put the militia at the rear of the fort. '

the natives simply walked to the flag and stood there while fire poured down on them. As time was running out on the flag capture, I charged the militia, reset the clock, then pulled back and let them resume firing. once I was out of bullets, I charged everybody at the few remaining attackers and won. Horrible display of the AI...
    The study of history is the best medicine for a sick mind.
    -- Livy

Hold 'em by the nose, and kick 'em in the Ass!
    --George Patton

I haven't gotten too far but lemme ask do any fort or city wall cannons fire w/o being manned by your troops manually?

If not at least some of them should come with crew. IIRC towers in MTW also only fired when your troops were near.

The time i can remember, the fort cannons was able to shoot kinda far. Not as far as my artillery, but firther then musket fire. They got a couple of my units while runnign there, might always have been the rebound, but it did indeed quite some damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Fulvius View Post
    the cannons are pretty short range... but they do man them...

i think the fort cannons are scripted to the same range as the units that will man them... that would explain why they don't pick off anyone outside of musket range.

meh, i use grenadiers for that sort of thing anyways... yay star fort grenade bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    speaking of seiges, is it even possible to actually assault a city anymore? anytime i try to assault one, the battle just ends up being in a huge field (even though i'm at the enemy's city walls with my armies).
    I found this strange, too, until I had to defend a fort, discovered how terribly glitchy it is, and became really, really glad that the city-assault and city-defense battles take place in open areas. The fewer times I need to play a battle in/around those glitched forts, the better.

The AI NEVER accepts to attack me when there are forts around my towns. Instead it puts up a siege and waits for a few turns until I surrender... And that never happens as I just go out to get 'em.

But I once attacked a fort and it's (only) manned canon managed to pick my units from their deployment zone that was slightly downhill. So their range isn't that bad. Well, I just pounded the wall from out of it's firing range.

The AI doesn't react when the wall is 99% destroyed and it has units on it... :hmmm:

Well, forts are buggy anyway. I have had a few laughs at units on the walls, told to go inside the fort with no one in the way, just going down the ropes they just climbed with to go through the battle-packed crack in the wall

and gates that survive canon balls

And AI's sitting like ducks

and, and...

Rome's sieges, if unfair, were much better.
    In FRAY's alpha
    "When one dies, it is a tragedy. When a million die, it is a statistic."
    -The mods, try them all!-

I have just tried to man fort guns,just drag them into line close behind your wall mounted cannons and the guns will automaticaly be manned, well worked for me.....

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyChicken View Post
    I don't have a manual (thanks steam).
    Hate to necro this in such a way, but just because people like him haven't found the manual it doesn't mean that Steam doesn't provide one. There is always a manual, right click it in your library and look carefully the options, one of them should be "View Player Manual", or whatever it is. People should use their heads before they go around insulting Steam. Besides, even if there was no manual, that is garbage, I've never in my life read a game manual and doubt I'll need that in the future.

I just let besiegers pop a hole in the wall, then make a circle of death around where they're coming through. I've beaten far larger armies this way. They get pyched out once they're inside, while my guys are inspired.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserlicher Ritter View Post
    Hate to necro this in such a way, but just because people like him haven't found the manual it doesn't mean that Steam doesn't provide one. There is always a manual, right click it in your library and look carefully the options, one of them should be "View Player Manual", or whatever it is. People should use their heads before they go around insulting Steam. Besides, even if there was no manual, that is garbage, I've never in my life read a game manual and doubt I'll need that in the future.
    Seriously? You necroed an ancient thread just to have a go at someone cos they mildly criticised Steam? Wow. No one must dare criticise Steam! All hail god-emperor Steam!

As for sieges, I just pull everyone to the ground and wait for the enemy to walk in and blow them away.

onmy6's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyChicken View Post
    It's quite possible this has been asked and answered, if so sorry, but I couldn't find it with search and I don't have a manual (thanks steam).

Anywho, how does one place units on the ramparts of a fort so they will actually man the cannon, instead of standing in nice formation staring at each others backs. I know it's possible as I've done this before by accident, a very pleasant accident, but one I can't repeat.
    I move my units around abit and eventually they man the fort cannons (Oh and personally I think steam is a pile of steaming crud for many reasons)

Make sure the units are in guard mode, and some melee units won't man them no matter what.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12