Thread: Advice for an 18th century noob

icydawgfish's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Advice for an 18th century noob

So i've played Rome but missed out on medieval 2 so I finally got my new computer and have downloaded ETW on from steam and i'm amazed. But here's the catch...I suck. SO I have some questions pertaining to strategy on and off the campaign map. Also, I've been playing on M/M.

1. Which nation is noob friendly? I've experimented a bit with France but was overrun by Savoy after a failed expedition into Spain (yes...Savoy took Paris). I've had luck with Britian but the Cherokee are foiling my plots and have caused the 13 colonies to rebel after they took Carolina. I've had some success with Prussia. Also, i don't want to be split between two fronts. I want to be able to focus on one theater, like the British can do in the Americas.

2. What army compositions work well? Usually I get wtf pwned when out numbered. I also do not really know how to use a gunpowder army.

3. How do I defend my borders? I always have trouble as with France, I can have a bunch of small armies in forts but that doesn't do much when a big army comes and kills them because I can't support a bunch of full stacks.

4. Navy....I'm clueless. I usually keep several 4-6 unit navies around in my Britian campaign but they get owned by pirates and equally sized stacks.

5. And lastly, any Bunker hill strategies? I can never win it. But does it change anything in the campaign if you win or lose at Bunker Hill?
    Last edited by icydawgfish; March 05, 2009 at 03:09 PM.

"I used to eat people, but now I'm full."

Default Re: Advice for an 18th century noob

Play GB

Make lots of alliances early in the game with other protestant states (sweden and the dutch come to mind)

Line infantry are the core of your armies. 7-8 of them + 2 cav and cannon will WTFPWN most of the indian tribes without problem.

For navy, build 4th and 5th rates. Ignore sloops and brigs except for commerce raiding.

And above all, remember that money is the lubricant of war.

havent tried the campaign yet, im too obsessed with the multiplayer

however i can offer at least a smidgeon of advice on the army:

i've stopped taking a cavalry general (a major break from previous titles) the and now use elite inf for command unit and generally will take 4-6 line or elite inf including the general, 2 units of dragoons and 1 unit of melee cav, 2 units of horse cannon or puckle guns and as many skirmishers as i can afford! elite skirmishers are best as they can hide in the open most of the time.

hope thats of some help
    If you think of yourselves as helpless and ineffectual, it is certain that you will create a despotic government to be your master. The wise despot, therefore, maintains among his subjects a popular sense that they are helpless and ineffectual.

icydawgfish's Avatar Campidoctor

Bump

"I used to eat people, but now I'm full."