Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: German version

Default German version

Hi folks

This has been floated for Spanish in a thread near you.

I'm a professional translator and helping out good causes for free is just one of those things I enjoy in my spare time.

I thought I'd gage the level of interest in translating this mod into German. On the one hand, most Germans I know have good English (certainly miles better than the other way around). But on the other hand there may be people who are not posting here, or wouldn't even consider the mod, because they are less confident.

How many people think that there is a need for a German version, and who would be interested in helping me work on one if we decided to go ahead with it?

actual members:

Last edited by jản; April 09, 2009 at 02:56 AM.
    Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
    - Douglas Adams, much missed

The Doge of Venice's Avatar Senator

Default Re: German version

In don't speak German at all but I realized when reading this that anyone who does and would want a version in German probably doesn't understand the English you've typed here, why not have it typed in German?

We wouldn't understand this them. This is an English forum after all.
    Anyway, I think the team wouldn't mind if you translate it. Germans are used to get everything translated in their own language, so why not the mod?
    Gameplay > tiny little things

Presbiter's Avatar Biarchus

my opinion, french or spanish or italien are more needed. from my expirience during school exchanges many years age. we the germans speak a far better english than the three other ones. no offens, that has something to do with national identity, as we germans mustnt have an own one after ww2. so we could easy assimilate english things.
    additional to the thing that out kids learn english starting in 2nd grade.

f.e.:

english: computer
    german: computer
    french: ordinateur
    spanish: sistema informatico
    italian: cervelle elettronico

Last edited by Presbiter; March 05, 2009 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Presbiter View Post
    f.e.:

Computer is actually ordenador en espanol :

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

my opinion, french or spanish or italien are more needed. from my expirience during school exchanges many years age. we the germans speak a far better english than the three other ones. no offens, that has something to do with national identity, as we germans mustnt have an own one after ww2. so we could easy assimilate english things.
    additional to the thing that out kids learn english starting in 2nd grade.

f.e.:

Exact the same for dutch.(not the WW2 part off course)
    And I don't think germans are waiting for something like this because germans speak reasonable english and understand it even better.
    But if you want to and enjoy making a german version I would do it

I agree that germans speak better english than most, we´re having a United Nation role play at our school ATM with people from Germany, Lithuania, Denmark and Sweden (my country!) and germans are the only ones you can understand beside us swedes

Presbiter's Avatar Biarchus

yes, let you never stop from doing thing you enjoy

yes, let you never stop from doing thing you enjoy
    Hell no!

...or does that include child molestation?

my opinion, french or spanish or italien are more needed.
    But if there's someone to translate it to German, why not?

And LMAO @Ratzor
    Gameplay > tiny little things

Mithrandir's Avatar Flame of Anor

I'll keep this open,a slong as it doesn't degenerate to spam. A translation submod is quite a big task, though. It's a lot of text to translate...

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

Laetus

Well, while you're talking about translate the mod to German, I think it'd be great if it was translated to French too. So if a day a "Multi-Translate Project" comes out, I'd be happy to help to translate the mod to my language. I've already a good translation experience (I am one of the two translators for the future version of RJ-RotWK for BFME2 Exp), so I think I can help.
    Proud to be Swiss!

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

I don't want to even image how hard translating would be, all text from unit descriptions to names of ancillaries and traits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratzor View Post
    I agree that germans speak better english than most, we´re having a United Nation role play at our school ATM with people from Germany, Lithuania, Denmark and Sweden (my country!) and germans are the only ones you can understand beside us swedes
    You don't understand the danes? We(the danes) are normally above average in english I'd say

On topic:
    I think it's good with a german mod. because the experience I have with germans is they got no clue on how to speak/understand/write/read english. But of course I might be wrong

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay View Post
    Hi folks

This has been floated for Spanish in a thread near you.

I'm a professional translator and helping out good causes for free is just one of those things I enjoy in my spare time.

I thought I'd gage the level of interest in translating this mod into German. On the one hand, most Germans I know have good English (certainly miles better than the other way around). But on the other hand there may be people who are not posting here, or wouldn't even consider the mod, because they are less confident.

How many people think that there is a need for a German version, and who would be interested in helping me work on one if we decided to go ahead with it?

I'm german and my english is pretty good, translating english to german would be no problem at all. But a question: I own the english version of Medieval 2, am I even able to play a german mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Marlyk View Post
    I think it's good with a german mod. because the experience I have with germans is they got no clue on how to speak/understand/write/read english.
    Sorry but this is a dumb statement. Here in germany everyone learns english at school, why should our english be worse than other nations' english?
    Last edited by Fev; March 05, 2009 at 02:37 PM.

Civis

I speak german too and my english is also pretty good. But i don't know if it's good enough

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by paganmetal3r View Post
    I speak german too and my english is also pretty good. But i don't know if it's good enough
    It surely is, translating from english into german is very easy...
    If you don't know some words, just look here:
    http://www.dict.cc/

Quote Originally Posted by Fereveldir View Post
    Sorry but this is a dumb statement. Here in germany everyone learns english at school, why should our english be worse than other nations' english?
    I can only speak for what I have experienced. Most germans I've met in germany did only know the very basics of english and were very difficult to have a conversation with. But I could've been unlucky with the germans I met, and thats why I wrote I could be wrong

Civis

Well then... why not? (german version)

KK's first language is German, he may make a translated version.
    Son of _Pontifex_Father to Mithrandir
    - Citizen, Artifex, Civitate - Librarian

Third Age: Total War - Most Promising Mod of 2008
    2D Graphical Artist & Moderator

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast