Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friendly Fire?

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Icon5 Friendly Fire?

What's the effect of friendly fire in the game? Is it similar to MED II or it's causing heavy casualties? I mean, if I charge my infantry against an enemy infantry for close combat and then shoot with the rest of my infantry will I cause as many friendly casualties as enemy?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

aronnov's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Friendly Fire?

I'd like to know this as well. I had a unit behind a unit on the front line and i couldn't see any friendly fire casualties... made me wonder.
    Honor ... means that a man is not exceptional; fame, that he is. Fame is something which must be won; honor, only something which must not be lost. ~ Schopenhauer

I have accidentally shot up some of my own units, but it does not seem to be too bad. I am only playing on normal so that might have an effect on the amount of FF taken.

I have definitely caused some massive FF with cannons, blew apart a cavalry unit i sent to chase down some fleeing enemy infantry.

No, that isn't a banana

It can be deadly, if you're not careful.
    I haven't noticed it for muskets, but artillery certainly has a way of ruining things for you...

Yeah, my artillery DECIMATED my general and cavalry one time when it was on fire-at-will and I wasn't paying attention...as for infrantry fire, I don't know, I haven't noticed.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Hmm... So it seems to be like Med II. Artillery could do that in MED II too.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

I had a fight with american indians last night where my calv had charged a group of medicine men and was fully engaged, and a regiment of line infantry unleashed a barrage against the indians, THROUGH my calv. So it looks like musket FF is turned off.

Fun game, but this needs a total realism patch.

Grimmy's Avatar Ordinarius

I'm not exactly sure if it was friendly fire or not, because I had some hectic fur-balling going on in the general vicinity, but when it was over, I had half a company of my own dead infantry piled up near the front of one of my cannons that happened to be firing canister.

Which reminds me...

Watch out for cannons on fire at will. They can pick some awful inconvenient targets when you're not paying attention.

Yeah, one time my cannon decided it wanted to ignore a charging group of lancers and fire its load of canister shot at 1 remaining, routing lancer that was being beaten up by some of my own calvery. Wiped out about half of my guys.

I had those men shot after the battle.

Goodness, I need to test the musket FF. I know it was active in the demo, and I have been ever so careful with my line infantry so far... actually, I could have sworn I caused friendly casualties with it. Time to play.

Quote Originally Posted by jps42 View Post
    Yeah, my artillery DECIMATED my general and cavalry one time when it was on fire-at-will and I wasn't paying attention...as for infrantry fire, I don't know, I haven't noticed.
    Battle of Bunker Hill, they put the general in front of artillery,
    Create a Multiplayer Army Online at: www.shogun2armycreator.netne.net
    Your Unofficial Shogun 2 Tech Support Genius
    Visit my Youtube Channel
    Shogun 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/itsmymillertime

i definitely seen infantry take a few friendly fire shots to the back of the head before.

An hour ago I played a small quick battle.

Some light infantry riflemen were behind my regular line-inf. The light inf. - because of its longer range - opened fire first, through the friendly line of soldiers in front of them. It was quite deadly.

It's not a good idea to set a unit close behind another to fire-at-will.

AVD29's Avatar Civis

Artillery firing canister shot into the back of one of my line regiments was rather brutal took over 30 casualties.

George Washington is no longer the future first president of the United States.

You know why? I decided to leave him behind my infantry safe and sound, forward and left of my artillery. Im looking at my infantry only to have a message pop up of a "Heroic Death". Turns out my artillery swiveled to fire on some flanking french and took him out in the process...

Grimmy's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Mingan View Post
    George Washington is no longer the future first president of the United States.

You know why? I decided to leave him behind my infantry safe and sound, forward and left of my artillery. Im looking at my infantry only to have a message pop up of a "Heroic Death". Turns out my artillery swiveled to fire on some flanking french and took him out in the process...
    Artillery kills my men more than it does the enemy. I think artillery must be manned by Mogul assassins in disguise.

How many TW games before they fix this problem? So frustrating. The odd cannonball flying off course is one thing, but cannons and musketmen firing into the backs of their own troops? Come on...

At least there could be an option to tun it off.

There is definetly FF from muskets...in my last battle against the Cherookee my general was shot in the back while chasing down routers...and im sure it wasnt artillery.
    "A magyarok nyilaitól ments meg Uram minket! (Középkori ima)"

"Lord save us from the bows of the Hungarians!" (Medieval prayer)

Kiljaden's Avatar Centenarius

FF isn't a major prob, unless you lose generals to it

In general, if you maintain your formation but a unit breaks loose and catches FF, you'll lose a few men a volley -- although most seem to recover at the end of the battle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast