Thread: Problems with Irish faction

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Icon5 Problems with Irish faction

Great mod, love the gaelic slant to it and the massive clan wars that rage in scotland and also the power that England can bring to bear against other factions.

Im Ireland around 55 turns in on Hard-VHard vr3.2. The main problem i have is that every 10-15 years a new army appears in Ireland, and its mine. a general and 1/2 to 3/4 full banner of good troops, some of which i cant build yet. Its weird, also it makes it easy if i use them, which i don't. But short of loading the general on a death ship i cant get rid of him. Is there a script that gives Ireland extra units when not the player? If so is it causing this?

Holyhead also has no land access to the rest of Wales. The river blocks movement because there's no ford.

Any help would be appreciated. The mod is a beta so i understand theres bugs but i think this the only thing that bugs me because it makes no sense and i find the game easy anyway I would like to see england more powerful. I like fighting English (its an Irish thing)

Default Re: Problems with Irish faction

Hi smoesville,

I will check this out this weekend. The spawning army has not been mentioned before, I think this should only occur if Ireland is AI controlled. I will have a look at the campaign script.

I was wondering if you guys were able to fix the bug that didn't allow Ireland to spread it's culture to newly conquered settlements yet?

Also, Holyhead represents Anglesey (sp?), so they were right to have it seperated from the mainland. There can't be any ground access to an island Their choice to have it seperated by a river makes sense because the water seperating Anglesey from Wales is not very wide at all and is probably esaier to do than a very thin strip of ocean.

EDIT: This map might help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:An...B4ncloseup.png
    Last edited by pwf224; March 05, 2009 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pwf224 View Post
    Also, Holyhead represents Anglesey (sp?), so they were right to have it seperated from the mainland. There can't be any ground access to an island Their choice to have it seperated by a river makes sense because the water seperating Anglesey from Wales is not very wide at all and is probably esaier to do than a very thin strip of ocean.
    In hindsight, I think you should be able to walk to Anglesey because there is a bridge there now (and it has speed cameras on it as I found out to my cost!). Where a crossing could be made using a ferry or waiting for low tide and wading it is more sensible to allow this than having to use a ship.

The Irish culture spreading issue will be fixed in the next version. I doubt we will update version 3 any more but Perhaps the Reiver will look into it...
    Last edited by The Bruce; March 05, 2009 at 05:00 PM.

Cheers for the response.
    @pwf224- i didnt know that about wales... don't really know much about welsh geography never been... Didn't know about that irish culture spread bug... it will make things... interesting

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Yes, I'm not issuing anymore patches for Version 3

Fortunately, I am putting all my efforts into making Version 4. The Irish culture leak has been fixed and seems to be working fine in version 4, which I nearly have a fully working descr_strat to test. (P.S..the End product is still a while off).

The Irish stacks that appear was supposed to simulate (or perhaps stimulate...funny how the words are so similar) the Irish rebellions which led to the fightback against the Norman invaders. Truthfully, I never tested this and just relied on the theory of it to work...sorry This is located in the campaign script which is fired when a game starts. There are 4 Irish Rebellions added at 10, 20, 30 & 40 turns.

Ironically the choice to seperate Anglesey from Wales was a modding shortcut by me I had no idea how to lower land and add water....so I just added a river. Of course my "Master Mapper", The Bruce has made this a proper waterway for Version 4!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Border Reiver View Post
    Yes, I'm not issuing anymore patches for Version 3

Fortunately, I am putting all my efforts into making Version 4. The Irish culture leak has been fixed and seems to be working fine in version 4, which I nearly have a fully working descr_strat to test. (P.S..the End product is still a while off).

The Irish stacks that appear was supposed to simulate (or perhaps stimulate...funny how the words are so similar) the Irish rebellions which led to the fightback against the Norman invaders. Truthfully, I never tested this and just relied on the theory of it to work...sorry This is located in the campaign script which is fired when a game starts. There are 4 Irish Rebellions added at 10, 20, 30 & 40 turns.
    I can easily fix this in the version 3 campaign script - need to check if faction is AI controlled before spawning if it makes it too easy for the player.

Ironically the choice to seperate Anglesey from Wales was a modding shortcut by me I had no idea how to lower land and add water....so I just added a river. Of course my "Master Mapper", The Bruce has made this a proper waterway for Version 4!!
    I think there should be a land bridge. Small crossings like this should not need the same resources as a voyage across a proper sea. Even if there was no bridge in medieval times there would have been small boats operating as ferries etc. I feel the same way about Skye...

Is there anyway you could point me in the right direction to fix it myself? If it's too complicated to explain or will take too long to fix, then never mind. If it's a semi-quick fix in a text file or two I can take the time to work out the kinks. Of course if you're too busy or can't explain it I understand. I look forward to version 4. You guys always produce a great product with every new release!

Showing you how to fix it would take longer than fixing it! I will try to get a new campaign script by the end of the weekend for you, real life permitting.

Don't worry about that. If it will take too long to explain or to fix, then don't bother wasting your time. I would appreciate it if you did, but don't kill yourself just to get me a quick fix. I can wait for v4. Plus, if you have any time to mod at all I would rather it be devoted to developing the new version than fixing the old Thanks for the help though.

Dromahair and emain macha have a population of 4000+ but they can't be upgraded they're still wee villages... is that intentional to keep the amount of huge cities down? Only thing is that i had to convert to castles to prevent rebellion...

Marcus Bestia's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by smoesville View Post
    Dromahair and emain macha have a population of 4000+ but they can't be upgraded they're still wee villages... is that intentional to keep the amount of huge cities down? Only thing is that i had to convert to castles to prevent rebellion...
    yes, i think it's intentional to be historicaly accurate. some vilages didnt growth to larger towns and cities. on the scotish isles, there are many such villages you cant upgrade.

However we did not suppress the growth of these villages enough. This will be addressed in the next version.

Cheers for the response lads. i love this mod, then i do love things that let me stretch the (evil) power of the irish nation beyond all reality... though it is mostly evil because i'm in charge

The next version will feature a much larger Ireland with lots more regions for you to be evil in. Just don't mess with Scotland or you will get your arse kicked