Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: creating local cache files... (problem with install)

Default creating local cache files... (problem with install)

hello there

i am trying to install empire total war and i cant seem to get it working.
    i have activated it on steam, asked it to install.

it starts the loading bars and says

creating local game cache files...
    preparing empire: total war for install...

the bars fully load up and it doesnt go onto the next screen.
    it just sits there and doesnt even start to install from the cd.
    i left it on that screen for 3hours and still no different screen.

i press cancel and steam freezes.

i have brand new computer, so there wont be a problem with specs.

has anyone else had this prob? any ideas to get it working?

cheers

Default Re: creating local cache files... (problem with install)

I have the same problem, any leads yet on how to solve it? I restarted/reinstalled it. Is it the the network at Steam? or just something else?

My laptop has all the lastest specs.............

nope, i got no idea.
    i uninstalled steam, and now i have the same prob with dawn of war 2!!

i'll prob just reinstall windows when i can we bothered.
    unless someone else replies and helps me out

Gonzo89's Avatar Miles

Do you have Vista by any chance? If so, disable UAC by going to Start, typing msconfig, Tools, and then 'Disable UAC'. Restart your PC and see if the problem persists.

If you're on XP - I have no idea, sorry. I can only suggest turning off all your firewalls and anti-virus.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Moved to technical help.

themoob's Avatar Centenarius

There is no fix for this, sorry, go return your game and buy something that isn't supported by Steam instead.

I have the same problem on XP. Did Clean Installs. Left this thing on overnight... still stuck on cache loading crap.

I've been having this exact problem since Thursday. I submitted the following to Steam Support last night, with no response so far:

I purchased the boxed retail copy of Empire: Total War yesterday and am getting nowhere with the installation process. When I try to install, either from the DVD-ROM's autoplay or through the command line "c:\program files\Valve\Steam\steam.exe -install E:", I get only as far as the window that says "Creating local game cache files" and "Preparing files for install". The progress bar gradually fills up to 100%, but stays there for hours at a time (I even left it overnight) with no activity from my DVD drive, and no apparent network activity. Canceling the installation causes Steam to freeze completely, and can only be closed through Windows task manager as a Non-Responsive program.

Solutions I have already attempted, to no obvious effect:

-Deleting clientregistry.blob
    -Closing out all antivirus and firewall software
    -Trying in offline mode (makes installation impossible, near as I can tell)

I have previously installed 9 other games through steam, including all games on the Orange Box, with no problems, and can confirm that I meet or exceed all minimum system requirements, including hard drive space.

Your help would be much appreciated!
    To my "attempted/failed solutions" list since then, add
    -Uninstalling and clean-reinstalling Steam, and
    -Disabling UAC as described above.

I guess I'll continue experimenting with it (have little other choice, considering it's an opened PC game). I'll post here if I get a response from Steam support or if I figure something out on my own.

Edit/Update: Interesting... out of curiosity I just tried to re-install Half-Life 2 from the Orange Box DVD's and encountered this problem with that game, too. I guess it's not just an issue with ETW.
    Last edited by snarfer; March 07, 2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Update

Same problem as you all - stuck. Emailed support on Friday night and haven't heard anything. Figured it was due to the weeked...

Email to support - "I'm having trouble reinstalling Empire: Total War. I initially installed it but it was crashing consistently and also had no sound so thought i'd try reinstalling it. Uninstalled the game through the "control panel\programs and fearture" menu but now i'm unable to reinstall it. I have reinstalled Steam but get stuck at the screen saying "Creating local game cache files". The steam/games page says the game is installing so not downloading or anything but it doesn't get any further."

Let me guess, it looks like this:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3041/installscreen1.jpg
    http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/7...allscreen2.jpg
    If it's a clean install, here's where I'll get the C++ and Steam installation, then some "Steam platform" update, then I close out Steam completely, reinsert the disc, then
    http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/571...allscreen3.jpg
    http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/159...allscreen4.jpg
    http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3...allscreen5.jpg

Yeah, you're not the only one. I'm still holding out hope that I haven't got a proper response because of the weekend.

All I know for sure is:
    it happens with both Vista and XP users
    it happens with both the SF edition and the regular edition
    it's not limited to installing from the disk or downloading

I suggest everyone that hasn't already should go here, (http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic...LY-please.html) post your problem and DxDiag, or send in a support ticket to Steam (or both), and hopefully someone will take pity on us.
    Last edited by Aimless_Archer; March 08, 2009 at 10:37 PM.

Okay, weirdly, E:TW just installed for me. I let it run at the cache screen while I was at uni (8 hours-ish) and I came home and it was asking for the 2nd DVD. It's now installed and patching, so I guess the only fix is to leave it on that screen for 8 hours at a time until it works, since I left it for 8 hours another time and nothing happened.

:hmmm:

Well, feeling heartened by your success, I just tried to install. I started the process, went through until it got to the usual cache file screen, went to use the bathroom (like, ten minutes, max), came back and the installation was running. I'm not even sure whether to be happy or pissed off...

Now it's downloading an update...

As for what I did...um, nothing really. I had downloaded the latest updates from Steam, and my antivirus program was off (which it has been since I started trying to install last week, so that wouldn't have been the problem) so I don't know.

I did notice that Steam's content servers' bandwidth is WAY down in the last 8 hrs or so. http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/ Perhaps that's all it was...

Heh maybe, all well, it's all good now.

NowI can complain about bugs in the game

This still dosen't work for me, just hangs on the "creating local game cache files" screen once the progress bar is full.

No change for me yet, either. I even left it running for some 6 hours while I was out yesterday.

Still no word from Steam support.

LOL, Yesterday I was able to install it on my computer, but I cant seem to install it on my Laptop

I guess its specs?
    my laptop has 2.2ghz processor, Geforce 9600, 4 gb ram...
    my computer has 2.4ghz processor, Geforce 8400, 3gb ram...

antivirus/windows
    -both vista's
    -both have antivirus's

....best explaination is steam, I guess.................

Well, hey. Left it running for about an hour while I was out running errands today and came back to find it in the middle of installing from disk 1. Downloading the pre-patch now.

It seems to be a matter of simple perserverance. You have to be more stubborn than Steam.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by themoob View Post
    Okay, weirdly, E:TW just installed for me. I let it run at the cache screen while I was at uni (8 hours-ish) and I came home and it was asking for the 2nd DVD. It's now installed and patching, so I guess the only fix is to leave it on that screen for 8 hours at a time until it works, since I left it for 8 hours another time and nothing happened.
    IT WORKS!!!!!! +1 REP, after reading this I waited 1 hour and 40 minutes and it started installing.

Everyone who is having this problem:

Try installing during off hours (10 PM - 4 AM US Central time seems to work pretty well). I think all the problem might have been is Steam's servers being bogged down right after release. But I'm going to leave my support question to Steam active, as there may still be some underlying issue there...I still can't download from Steam during the day.

Just be persistant, everyday before you leave for work or school and before you go to sleep, try and install, let it sit at the local cache screen, it'll work EVENTUALLY>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast