Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diplomacy - how it works

Icon1 Diplomacy - how it works

Has anyone figured it out how diplomacy really works?

Honestly I'm a bit puzzled. First off, the lowest amount you can offer as payment is 1000 golds (for major nations), which is a bit much (it could be 100 imo). Secondly, the AI is sometimes ridiculously stubborn (just as in the previous games). I offered alliance/trade agreement to countries much smaller than mine (Austria) that were either indifferent or friendly towards me, and they took offense at these proposals.

The diplomacy window consists of 2 panels - minor and major nations. Does someone know the limit between the two? How much settlements do you have to have to become a major nation?

I see the following information next to the faction name: religion (Orthodox, Protestant, Islam etc.), government (Absolute monarchy / Republic), and finally their stance towards me (hostile / unfriendly / indifferent / friendly / allies). Does this mean that religion and government types influence the diplomatic relations?

On another note, did someone succeed to get his allies to help him in a war? I couldn't yet, that's why I'm asking.
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; March 04, 2009 at 07:02 PM.

Default Re: Diplomacy - how it works

A 1000m isn;t much. No as much as in previous TW games.

Major nations are just the playable ones. afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWizard View Post
    Has anyone figured it out who diplomacy works?

Honestly I'm a bit puzzled. First off, the lowest amount you can offer as payment is 1000 golds (for major nations), which is a bit much (it could be 100 imo). Secondly, the AI is sometimes ridiculously stubborn (just as in the previous games). I offered alliance/trade agreement to countries much smaller than mine (Austria) that were either indifferent or friendly towards
    Actually you can offer or demand less money, just press "Payments" and you can type in any number you want afaik. I've only played a few turns on normal campaign difficulty and some factions just wont bend over.. I'm playing as Great Britain, "Terrifying" power and very rich, and "Feeble", "Meagre" Denmark wont give me Iceland, a remote island far away, making barely any money at all, in exchange for peace, they had about 5 allies of mine on them, ready to lay down their arms if I gave the word. Stubborn indeed. I just hope Very Hard wont make them even more stubborn

On another note, did someone succeed to get his allies to help him in a war?
    Sure, I think it depends on the power of the enemy you're fighting though, and for what reasons you're doing it. I declared war against Denmark, we were "Unfriendly" and they had just turned down 3 very good offers that might have earned us a lifelong peace. I declared war, and every single one of my allies joined me, about 5 or 6 I think.

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

Had someone not complained about making too much money? Who knows, maybe just like the scale of the population numbers the economic scale has been tweaked, too. [/shrug]
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Well I just got the strangest diplomatic offer I have ever seen.
    I took Courland and the next turn I got a offer from Prussia.
    They wanted Courland(who knows why, it's a dump) and in return I got east Prussia, Square formation and 1000 gold.
    Since East Prussia is far more developed I said yes but it did leave me a bit stunned wondering what the catch was.

Icon1 Re: Diplomacy - how it works

Quote Originally Posted by Sorkenlol View Post
    Actually you can offer or demand less money, just press "Payments" and you can type in any number you want afaik. I've only played a few turns on normal campaign difficulty and some factions just wont bend over.. I'm playing as Great Britain, "Terrifying" power and very rich, and "Feeble", "Meagre" Denmark wont give me Iceland, a remote island far away, making barely any money at all, in exchange for peace, they had about 5 allies of mine on them, ready to lay down their arms if I gave the word. Stubborn indeed. I just hope Very Hard wont make them even more stubborn
    I guess it's up to prestige then. The manual says that "prestige is a measure of your reputation amongst rival nations." "Prestige is earned in many ways including winning battles, researching technology and constructing certain buildings". I guess not-backstabbing your allies help too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorkenlol View Post
    Sure, I think it depends on the power of the enemy you're fighting though, and for what reasons you're doing it. I declared war against Denmark, we were "Unfriendly" and they had just turned down 3 very good offers that might have earned us a lifelong peace. I declared war, and every single one of my allies joined me, about 5 or 6 I think.
    Wow, that's cool. Please elaborate. Did you get a message from them, that they will come or they just showed up in the party at once? Did you play allied battles? How could you cooperate?

Quote Originally Posted by TB666 View Post
    They wanted Courland(who knows why, it's a dump) and in return I got east Prussia, Square formation and 1000 gold.
    Since East Prussia is far more developed I said yes but it did leave me a bit stunned wondering what the catch was.

That's stupid. Why would they do that? This seems to be a massive flaw.

That's stupid. Why would they do that? This seems to be a massive flaw.
    I don't know either.
    Maybe Courland is unpolished diamond just waiting for someone to develop it ??
    Still it was a funny moment and it atleast shows that the AI is alive.

Wow, that's cool. Please elaborate. Did you get a message from them, that they will come or they just showed up in the party at once? Did you play allied battles? How could you cooperate?
    Well, since the first turn I had tried to get Denmark to give me Iceland, I offered them money, territory and alliance, but I got turned down on all 3 conditions. After that our standings were "Unfriendly" and I decided to declare a war, I was going to get Iceland, no matter what. After declaring the war, all of my allies "joined" the battle, they all declared war with denmark, just like that. I'm not sure, I think a window popped up telling me who joined the battle, I can't recall all of it though.

We didn't play any battles togheter, no, they just declared war with denmark, I'm not even sure they attacked Denmark. I'm still only about 4-5 turns in on that save, I'll continue playing it later and tell you how it went.

Arcaliea's Avatar Civitate

Hold up - it shows the AI is 'alive'? If anything it shows that the AI is stupid.

They've always been "stubborn" in RTW/MTW2 in the sense that they would rarely agree to any reasonable deal you offered them (hell, sometimes they would refuse when you offered to return cities you just took from them). I had hoped ETW would actually revamp this system, but what I'm hearing so far is both good and bad.

What about that persistent question of protectorates/vassals through diplomacy?
    Advice is judged by results, not by intentions. - Cicero
    Under patronage of SbSdude

Quote Originally Posted by Arcaliea View Post
    Hold up - it shows the AI is 'alive'? If anything it shows that the AI is stupid.
    Stupid maybe(as I said, there might be reasons that the AI considered Courland was a great catch that I didn't see) but I have never gotten an offer like that before, hell in the other games I was happy if the AI even bothered with diplomacy.
    So it's nice to see that it's doing something atleast.

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Maizel View Post
    A 1000m isn;t much. No as much as in previous TW games.

Major nations are just the playable ones. afaik.
    pretty sure the Mughals are a major nation

Sorkenlol, next time when declaring war look out for a small checkbox under the list of your allies in the DoW when in the diplomacy window. You can actually decide if you want to ask them to join you. I guess you are supposed to decide on how much to stress your alliance...

Oh, and again:
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    Had someone not complained about making too much money? Who knows, maybe just like the scale of the population numbers the economic scale has been tweaked, too. [/shrug]
    ...which would make the stepping of 1000 Whatever-¢urren¢y-that-i$-in-the-eng£ish-language-version plausible.

its sad that CA is not learning anything from mods made for medieval2 or rome. They have a lot to learn from the mods

Arksa's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by TB666 View Post
    Wow....they offered me the same thing except a different tech

what's with the obsession for getting Courland?

My big gripe with the diplomacy is the lack of trading Tech, even offering ridiculous amounts of cash for one tech is normally declined by even allies. I have had tech offers accepted twice each time I have had to trade 3 techs and at least 10,000 to get 1 tech from them.
    V
    General Valantine of Bossumton
    Lord Lieutenant of the Cinque Ports
    Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Control of the East Sea...?

Maybe it's one of the regions they need to win the game.

France kept giving me reasonable offers for Flanders.

Quote Originally Posted by Valantine View Post
    My big gripe with the diplomacy is the lack of trading Tech, even offering ridiculous amounts of cash for one tech is normally declined by even allies. I have had tech offers accepted twice each time I have had to trade 3 techs and at least 10,000 to get 1 tech from them.
    V

I think that's a good thing.

I wouldn;t want to be able to buy 3 techs for 10K.

As the Netherlands, in mid game, I was shelling out 50K+ per tech. I'm okay with that.

It gives the techs some actual importance.

Quote Originally Posted by Arksa View Post
    Wow....they offered me the same thing except a different tech

what's with the obsession for getting Courland?

Got the same offer as well.

Icon1 Re: Diplomacy - how it works

Quote Originally Posted by Valantine View Post
    V
    I wish this would be moddable.

MedievalRob's Avatar Tiro

Once you gain 6-7 territories and develop a couple good trade routes, you should be bringing in around 30-40k each turn, so money isn't really an issue. I am in the last half of RTI (Chapter 3) and I have a little over 500k in the treasury.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast