Thread: Game turns my computer off

Default Game turns my computer off

I start the game, it runs just fine 3d or 2d for about 10 minutes, after which my computer turns off. No blue screen, no CTD, it just turns off.

All other 3d applications that I've tried work just fine.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Game turns my computer off

could be:

Either some stuff like processor or graphics card is overheating

or ur PSU (power supply unit) need replacing

ive had it before on games and it was PSU causing me problems, luckily i had a spare one and changed it and all problems were gone

I would imagine this is quite a disadvantage when trying to play the game imo.

What Syko said. It's a hardware issue, either heat or lack of power.

What are your specs (CPU, RAM, video card, power supply wattage/amperage)? Did you recently add any hardware? Have you played any games on this system? The ETW demo? What sort of fans and heatsinks do you have in there? This better not be a laptop.

Running the following

E8500 running at 3.6 30c idle 45c under load
    4gb DDR2 800 RAM
    ATI 4850 512mb running at stock clocks
    PSU is 600w, I don't remember the amperages off the top of my head

Comp plays TF2, Warhammer, L4D, M2TW, and Crysis fine. Just ETW gives me problems.

The first week I had the demo it ran fine, afterwords it had this same problem, I didn't change anything in between the time it was working and the time it wasn't working.

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

rigth click my computer>properties>advanced>startup and recovery and untick automaticaly restart. You could be getting a bsod you cant see. Play the game and see if you bsod or turn off. If you bsod write down whats on the screen and post it here.

First thing i would say is heat but since you can play crysis without crashes it cant be.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; March 04, 2009 at 08:03 PM.

Primicerius

I have the same problem playing an MTW 2 mod "Stainless Steel". Everything was working fine for about a month (since the install), but then, all of a sudden, the game would start turning my PC off. My 'automatic restart' button has been clicked off by the way. The system would still: just turn off as soon as i get past the first few screens of the game.

By the way, I tried running RTW after this started happening: the same deal...

A month ago, I ecountered the same problem. A reinstall of MTW 2 Kingdoms seemed to fix it then. Did not fix it this time around though.

murat can's Avatar Semisalis

quixote i hope your not having the problem i had last year.. it started to get worse, then it would turn off at anygame, then it messed up my motherboard, it was the PSU that did it..... it killed my whole computer except the graphic card. if you have a spare PSU try that, it sounds like a psu issue

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

indeed. Op what is your psu wattage?

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote07 View Post
    PSU is 600w, I don't remember the amperages off the top of my head
    There's the PSU

I will say - my card is running hotter than it used to. I restarted after it killed my system in ETW and even though it'd had a minute to cool off while it restarted, it was at 100C.

So my question is - if it IS running hot, why is it only ETW that causes it to shut my computer off?

And WOULD it actually just turn my computer off if it overheated?

Sounds like something is overheating. This is what normally cause a system to switch itself off automatically, get some heat monitoring software, and check to see how she's running.

Luke

Hi
    In another thread, I had a similar problem with my Nvidia card, it overheated while playing E:TW, I upgraded to the latest Nvidia drivers and fixed this issue.

HTH

Luke

Gomer_Pyle's Avatar Ducenarius

Remove your memory. Then put one of them in at the time. If you run 1 GB a piece use just 1 GB. Then remove it if it still crash. Try another memory stick. It looks terribly like a problem i had a while back. It may be one of your memory sticks or many.

When it comes to nvidia cards. Some cards had problems with auto (fan) with some drivers. I think this has been fixed in the latest versions. So worth a try too.

NVM: Seems like you narrowed it down to PSU already.

We make war that we may live in peace.

-Aristotle-

Giorgos's Avatar Deus Ex Machina

o.p, clean up your pc's fans. I had 3 months to clean up mine, and the temp was at 69 C on peak, which restarted my computer. After cleaning up, i am sittin pretty at 45 degrees celcius. No restarts ever since.

I really don't think its his PSU. I'm having the same problem on a brand new computer I built. I have a 750W PSU AMD Dual Core 5800+ Nvidia 9800GTX+

I really think it has something to do with the Video Card. It would shut off the computer at the same time about 15 seconds in to a campaign. I updated video drivers and now it does it at random intervals. Very weird.

I get the same problem, On Grand campaign after like 3 turns, everything else works fine Road to Independance etc just Grand Campaign