Thread: Game crashes when I try to start a campaign

Default Game crashes when I try to start a campaign

Every time I try to start a campaign, tutorial, or multiplayer I get a loading screen and then an error message telling me the program has stopped working. I more than exceed the recommended requirements and my graphics driver is up to date, anyone got any ideas about what might be wrong? I got the game off Steam, in case that makes a difference.

My System:
    Intel E8500 3.14Gz
    GA-EP35-DS3L
    MSI Radeon 4850
    2x WD Caviar 640GB HD
    4GB Corsair Twin2X DDR2 800
    Antec P182
    ASUS VW222U 22" LCD
    Windows Vista Home Premium x64 SP1 [LEFT]
    Last edited by Legio; March 04, 2009 at 06:52 PM.

Default Re: Game crashes when I try to start a campaign

I have the same problem mate
    Know where you're going in life . . . you may already be there!

Digbert, go to (Vista) X:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire

and delete everything in there except your saves, then start the Campaign mode again. It should work and those deleted files will be replaced so no worries.

edit: the appdata folder is hidden, so you need to change it in Folders and search options.

Cheers

I got it working a little while ago, my best guess is D3D Overrider was conflicting with the game and causing it to crash. I turned that off and now everything is fine. If you're having a similar problem, make sure you're not running D3D Overrider, Rivatools, or any other 3rd party software designed to interact with your graphics card (Catalyst Control Center doesn't seem to interfere).