Thread: Why is it...

Randarkmaan's Avatar Senator
    Currently on a merchant trip in the remote, barbaric lands to the North

Default Why is it...

Why is is that I bought Empire 6 hours ago and I still can't play it?!
    At first it seemed everything went fine, I did the Steam thing, though that ofcourse took a long time to first update the damn thing, then I got on with the install. That took about 20 minutes but that was it, then the game started updating, and updating and updating, then it tried downloading something, I tried launching and it started updating, eventually it said something like can't work. Suddenly it said 100% completed. I tried launching but it never progressed from "preparing to launch. Then I saw a post that said you had to reinstall, I uninstalled and prepared to reinstall when I saw another post that explained in detail what caused the "updating-updating-updating-downloading thing. I prepared to reinstall, but lo and behold I have not got any further since I've got into the preparing to install thing but Steam likes to crash when it's about 90% complete. Fantastic! That was about three times, the last times I have not even got there; It's trying to update Steam again, and with little success mind you, it usually gets stuck at some number like 28%, 31% 95% and won't progress at all. Fabulous!
    Everything seems to be rapidly regressing, my concern now is that my CD and box will simply vaporise into thin air.

I'm somewhat certain that the game will be very entertaining. But why, oh why, did they have to make something as simple as installing and playing a game into such an arduous journey that could send people to the mental hospital. I'ts now only two hours 'till midnight, I had the game and PC up and running at about 17:30.
    "Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right"
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"
    Salvor Hardin, from Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Semisalis

Default Re: Why is it...

Yeah try what MyOwnSling said, that should do it, if not give this a shot as well: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...2971-RUAG-7390

Doesn't really help yet, since now I'm trying to update Steam itself, which it ofcourse has to do before doing anything else

Quote Originally Posted by Randarkmaan View Post
    I'm somewhat certain that the game will be very entertaining. But why, oh why, did they have to make something as simple as installing and playing a game into such an arduous journey that could send people to the mental hospital. I'ts now only two hours 'till midnight, I had the game and PC up and running at about 17:30.

Consider yourself lucky... I have been trying to work this for 10 hours, broken one computer and driven myself to the verge of insanity. Regarding your question I have no answer... Despite what all these posts say.. REINSTALLING DOES NOT WORK.

I can't honestly understand why it has to be so hard, I mean I've installed Steam games before and it NEVER was this slow it was simply insert disc, install Steam if not already installed, install game, quick update, play.
    This is just ridiculous

Semisalis

Same here, I've never had a disk install to steam take as long as some are describing.