Thread: Installation crashes on disk 2 every time!

Default Installation crashes on disk 2 every time!

Ok so I activated the game on Steam first and then put the disk in to install. The first disk installed with no problems. Next I put in the second disk and after 2 minutes or so my PC restarts out of nowhere. Hoping it was a fluke I went back, deleted local content, and started over. Same thing happened. This time I went to Steam games list and it said Downloading 85%. About 10 seconds later it crashes again and then a second time. Evidently there is a file right around the 85% area that my computer doesn't like but I have no idea what it is or how I would fix it. Any ideas?

Default Re: Installation crashes on disk 2 every time!

Anyone?

My god.. Someone with the same problem as me! I feel strangely comforted. Yet im afraid my computer never recovered from the second crash.. 10 hours of pain.. Don't bother mate.

Semisalis

I have absolutely no clue as to what could be doing this. Pure conjecture: there is something corrupt on the disk that is so mind-bogglingly horrible to the cd/dvd drive that it decides to commit suicide. Sounds like horribly botched manufacturing, but, then again, that is pure conjecture.

Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnSling View Post
    I have absolutely no clue as to what could be doing this. Pure conjecture: there is something corrupt on the disk that is so mind-bogglingly horrible to the cd/dvd drive that it decides to commit suicide. Sounds like horribly botched manufacturing, but, then again, that is pure conjecture.

Suicide that means my computer has to go in for service... pretty horrible conjecture.

Do you think I have legal grounds for sueing? :hmmm:

Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by bobmeistro View Post
    Suicide that means my computer has to go in for service... pretty horrible conjecture.

Do you think I have legal grounds for sueing? :hmmm:
    I'm not sure. I really don't think that it's a hardware problem so much as a really bizarre state that the software works itself into. I really hope I'm wrong. So sorry I can't help

Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnSling View Post
    I'm not sure. I really don't think that it's a hardware problem so much as a really bizarre state that the software works itself into. I really hope I'm wrong. So sorry I can't help

Haha.. It's ok. It appears that neither can the Steam staff.. writting rubbish in return to my raised ticket. It seems like every time I get over one impossible problem, there is another harder one.. Im just getting them all! It's really not my day...

Well that really is odd, hmm try doing this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...2971-RUAG-7390

If thats a no go then try restoring your PC back a day or two, and if that still doesn't work then I have no clue.

For now...

EDIT: How about doing a fresh re-install of Steam?

Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Enigma View Post
    Well that really is odd, hmm try doing this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...2971-RUAG-7390

If thats a no go then try restoring your PC back a day or two, and if that still doesn't work then I have no clue.

For now...

EDIT: How about doing a fresh re-install of Steam?
    That's interesting and a good find. I like it. The fresh reinstall might also do the same thing as that article is trying to accomplish, but is more complete than what it proposes.

Hmm.. I might try that article. But I have already reinstalled everything possible.. several times.. So im not sure if it will help. What the heck, I've got nothing else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmeistro View Post
    Hmm.. I might try that article. But I have already reinstalled everything possible.. several times.. So im not sure if it will help. What the heck, I've got nothing else to do.
    Yeah sorry I can't really suggest anything else, its a really odd problem. In fact I think this has gotta be in the top 5 for most problems on release day for sure. It's a complete joke that you and others can't play a game you have been waiting to play for ages.

Hopefully a solution will pop up, there are plently of people trying to help.

I don't actually have a copy yet, probably will get it on the weekend, it will be interesting to see what wonderful problems I encounter...

I just tried everything again and this time after crashing on disk 2 it showed that 82% was complete under the games list. I am letting it download and so far it has gotten to 84%. If it crashes again I will try re-installing steam to see if that does anything.

Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Enigma View Post
    Yeah sorry I can't really suggest anything else, its a really odd problem. In fact I think this has gotta be in the top 5 for most problems on release day for sure. It's a complete joke that you and others can't play a game you have been waiting to play for ages.

Hopefully a solution will pop up, there are plently of people trying to help.

I don't actually have a copy yet, probably will get it on the weekend, it will be interesting to see what wonderful problems I encounter...
    I agree completely. Also hoping I don't get any issues when I get my copy today :\

Haha.. Oh... You two can look forward to this joy then . Yehh.. well I must have encountered about 7 or 8 different problems throughout the day.. Im in the process of reinstalling to try out a new tactic. I agree it's completely shocking.. The whole idea of needing to go through Steam just to play a single player game is ridiculous. I also appreciate the ideas you guys are coming up with.. Im sure I'll get ther eventually.. And it will all be worth it.

Just a quick question... How can I tell how big my file is.. because some posts seem to reckon the issues are arising from a shortage in the file.. I might look into that too. Although im pretty sure it's this update im being forced to download from Steam which is causing the problem, rather than corrupt data off the disc.

Semisalis

I think steam tells you how large it is. If not (I can't remember) then go to your steam directory in windows explorer and right click -> properties on your ETW folder. Sorry I can't be more specific than that, I don't remember everything exactly.

Thanks Ill check that now.. And my install is complete so I will try that method I said I would earlier.

Ok

'You must open your Steam window, select "File" and "Change User".

After you logoff and back onto steam using this method simply start your game normally through steam. This issue has happened with games in the past and as I said, it was the issue with my copy of ETW.'

DOES NOT WORK. Although I did get a black screen before it crashed this time (I thought it was working for a brief moment of wonder)... So I must be doing something right.... Oh well.. Back to the drawing board.

Im surprised there hasn't been any official response to all this...
    Last edited by bobmeistro; March 04, 2009 at 04:46 PM.

Well I finally got the game installed. I reinstalled Steam, removed a bunch of old programs and made sure absolutely nothing else was running when I installed the game. It made it through the second disk ok and finished the update. Then I went to start the game and.......

"Empire.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"

Every single time I try to start the game. You have got to be kidding me!!!

EDIT: After a simple restart the game worked fine. Now running it on high settings. Finally!!
    Last edited by Soturi524; March 04, 2009 at 11:42 PM.