View Poll Results: Would tou vote YEA or NAY for the Constitutional Treaty of the EU

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • YEA

6 22.22%
  • NAY

17 62.96%
  • I don't kmow enough about it to vote

4 14.81%

Thread: The Constitutional Treaty of the EU

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

I would like to see how our community would vote on the Constitutional Treaty of the EU. Votes are welcomed from everywhere, be they Europeans or not, as long as an amount of knowledge about the Treaty exists. If in doubt about what you know, go for the third option. Your vote is still appreciated!
    If you want to know more:
    for the full text of the Treaty (I hope it is a full text, I really don't have time to check right now, if anybody has a better link please post it):http://european-convention.eu.int/do...00850.en03.pdf
    for developments: www.euobserver.com
    for a brief outline (If you plan on voting please at least read one of these): http://europa.eu.int/scadplus/constitution/index_en.htm or http://www.foreign.gov.sk/files/ovzi/ec_co...ion_summary.pdf
    I'm hopping for a lot of votes. Thanks in advance...

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

I voted yes. Why? Too keep it short because it gives the EU it's first real Constitution like agreement, because it deepens the integration between the states, because it gives a lot more democratic substance and transparency to the EU. The Treaty, if it gets the approval of all the member states, can serve as a basis on which a real European identity can be built. After the Treaty comes into force I think citizens of the states of Europe will make the first and most important step towards feeling more like beingfirst and foremost citizens of Europe and not of any particular state. Discuss away...

Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

I voted Nay.

My reasons are conviently from another thread I posted on a minute ago.

"As an expatriot Brit (Esher, Surrey), I say 'Nay' to this new constitution.

I think Europe coming together for trade treaties etc is logical, but to centralize govt in Brussels or Paris will only lead to disaster down the road. Akin to our Civil War in the 1860s.

Just my opinion."

EDIT TO ADD:

OH and before I get the predicted "This constitution doens't do that".....it's a slippery slope. This is the 1st slip I fear.
    Faithfully under the patronage of the fallen yet rather amiable Octavian.

Smile! The better the energy you put in, the better the energy you will get out.

Senator

This isn't a real constitution, but they call it so. I voted No, I will vote yes if they make a good constitution, not one where they give the bigger countries more power than the smallest. I don't want to be ruled by Germany, France, Italy and Britain.

You'll also be ruled by poland, which I think gets like the 4th voting power and by Romania, after the 2007 accesion, which will be the 6th voting power. And really small countries have a lot more votes than their size and population would allow them. Sure, it's not "one country, one vote" but it had to be balanced so that big states get something for being big (and that usually means giving the EU a lot of money). In the voting, the 55% of member states representing 55% percent of the population system means that big countries like the ones you mentioned need allies from the small countries group to get anything through the European Parlament.

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Originally posted by Steeven@Apr 18 2005, 06:56 PM
    This isn't a real constitution, but they call it so. I voted No, I will vote yes if they make a good constitution, not one where they give the bigger countries more power than the smallest. I don't want to be ruled by Germany, France, Italy and Britain.
    Thats right: it's not a constitution but they all it one to make it look asif it's more important than all the previous treaties.

The "constitution" doesn't change much (if anything) compared to the current situation.
    But it does give the EU politicians carte blanche to keep going on the same road they have been on for the last 10 years.
    With this "constitution" the EU wil never become democratic and they wil keep increasing their influence on everyday life.

So, you guessed it, I am going to vote: HELL NO!!!
    Mainly becasue it's the only time we can tell those politicians that we don't like what they have been doing so far, and we don't want them to continue.
    I've already decided never to vote for the EU "parliament" even again because they are useless, so this wil probably be the last time I wil ever cast my vote on a European scale, I realy hope we can stop this "constitution".

LoZz's Avatar who are you?

Default Re: The Constitutional Treaty of the EU

"British till i die, im british till i die, im british till i die and so say all of us"

i refused to be told what to do by nations that have grudges against the UK for historical reasons.
    the spanish hate us due to gibralta.
    the french and germans hate us because of past conflicts and because we refuse to get into bed with them.
    the whole of the eu hates us because we support the USA

i in all seriousness would rather become the 52nd state of the USA then join an EU single state

Yorkshireman's Avatar Praefectus

Absolutely NO! Stinking EU

For a more intelligent reason see Eriks post.

Besides if they hold a referrendum in the UK they've no chance of palming it off on us, the same goes for the Euro.
    Last edited by Yorkshireman; April 19, 2007 at 05:37 PM.

catintheoven's Avatar Senator

No, because you have little enough chance of getting things done by the british government nevermind the european ones

In the UK we are a democracy one day in four years when we elect our oligarchy