Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Workaround Retail Installation

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Workaround Retail Installation

it's in Program files folder on the hard drive where you install your progs.

use explorer

I did all that crap and none of it is working!! the only thing consistent with my game is its crashing!!!

drlars's Avatar Laetus

I just got my copy from Amazon and was pretty disappointed to see that Steam was trying to dowload the entire game (particularly since I had the disks in my posession).
    I can't actually tell if I'm in the right thread, but I don't notice anyone else mentioning this workaround that I got off of the SEGA UK site. So in case anyone's here with THAT particular problem, here it is:

"If you have the boxed retail version of Empire Total War and it is trying to download the full game via Steam, please follow the instructions below:

1. Launch STEAM and click the 'My Game' Tab.

2. Right click on Empire: Total War and click 'Delete local content'. The non-installed information will appear next to the game.

3. Insert Disk 1 into your DVD drive and close Steam (File, Exit).

4. From the Windows Desktop, click on the Start Button, (XP) click Run (Vista) type Run into the Start Search box and choose Run from the list.

In the window Run box enter the following:

c:\program files\steam\steam.exe -install E:

- If your CD/DVD drive is not E: please change it accordingly.

- If Steam is not installed within c:\program files\steam, change the path accordingly.

[ note: I have Vista, so mine was c:\program files (x86)\steam\steam.exe -install D: ]

5. Press OK, Steam should now start the installation from the Disk 1 and will ask for Disk 2 a bit later on.

6. At the end of the installation process, Steam wil connect on Internet to download a small update which should take no more than few minutes."

I think its pretty lame that I had to go and dig to figure that out. I'm not any 'computer guy' by a longshot, but I know alot of casual gamers that would be pretty frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by drlars View Post
    this workaround that I got off of the SEGA UK site.
    Isn't that exactly the procedure explained in the first post?

Hey guys NONE OF THIS SOLVES MY ISSUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can get the game installed, I just cannot update it, ever. Why, oh why is this happening to me????????????? All I want is what I've payed for. Won't someone please give me what I'm paying for????????

Icon9 Re: Workaround Retail Installation

hey every1,

is there anyway to get around installing from the dvds and download the file from steam?
    i get a bluescreen when i put the 2nd dvd in the drive as question by the installation routine.

errormessage(sorry only in german):

Durch die Berechtigungseinstellungen (Computerstandard) wird der SID (S-1-5-19) für Benutzer NT-AUTORITÄT\LOKALER DIENST keine Aktivierungberechtigung (Lokal) für die COM-Serveranwendung mit CLSID
    {BC866CF2-5486-41F7-B46B-9AA49CF3EBB1}
    gewährt. Diese Sicherheitsberechtigung kann mit dem Verwaltungsprogramm für Komponentendienste geändert werden.

could need a hand here.

thx

what do i do when i deinstalled steam too?

Is there any way to play the game without installing the update from steam ?

Shaftoe's Avatar Foederatus
    East of the Big Horn, South of Canada, North of Crow

Let me see. Long ago, in the mist-shrouded past of PC strategy gaming, a young man fought his first battles on a game called Sun Tzu's Ancient art of War. Looking fondly back, that young man can smile at the memory of the cartoonish animations, I think 24 men per army was the limit, and the representative map, etc. The point is, that the young gamer thought to himself; this is pretty cool, but why can't I fight sea-battles?

Fast forward to the present. The young gamer is now a 34-year-old pipeliner, currently enjoying the hospitality of western North Dakota. His wife and kids buy him Empire: Total war for his birthday. (May 29).

He, too, experienced all the aforementioned troubles that all of you have related. Internet connection is through an Alltel aircard plugged into his PC. 15Kb/s is as rare a sight as it is a high one. This not quite so young man, still imbued with the sarcasm and teachings he gained in the Nineties, has hit upon a way to at least be a pain-in-the-arse to the corporate-sellout sheep responsible for this, and to, perhaps, cause a bit of a consternated strain to their mindless bleating.

His family bought Empires: Total War at Wal-Mart. He learned today that no matter what, Wal-Mart will only allow an exchange for the exact same game. The reason cited was "copyright infringement". WTFE. He has now sworn a mighty oath to return to Wal-Mart as many times as possible each week, and exchange his game for a new one. Thereby removing them from the shelves of the Minot, ND Wal-Mart, and maybe, just maybe causing a little hate and discontent in the life of the overeducated SOB responsible for this ridiculous debacle.

Thanks all, I'm off to download RTR, I hear they've been doing some kick-ass work.
    Crime still don't pay
    like it used to...

Time slips away
    until you die...

But I don't give a damn
    when I choose to...

'Cause it don't hurt so bad
    when you're high...

Quote Originally Posted by Shaftoe View Post
    Let me see. Long ago, in the mist-shrouded past of PC strategy gaming, a young man fought his first battles on a game called Sun Tzu's Ancient art of War. Looking fondly back, that young man can smile at the memory of the cartoonish animations, I think 24 men per army was the limit, and the representative map, etc. The point is, that the young gamer thought to himself; this is pretty cool, but why can't I fight sea-battles?

Fast forward to the present. The young gamer is now a 34-year-old pipeliner, currently enjoying the hospitality of western North Dakota. His wife and kids buy him Empire: Total war for his birthday. (May 29).

He, too, experienced all the aforementioned troubles that all of you have related. Internet connection is through an Alltel aircard plugged into his PC. 15Kb/s is as rare a sight as it is a high one. This not quite so young man, still imbued with the sarcasm and teachings he gained in the Nineties, has hit upon a way to at least be a pain-in-the-arse to the corporate-sellout sheep responsible for this, and to, perhaps, cause a bit of a consternated strain to their mindless bleating.

His family bought Empires: Total War at Wal-Mart. He learned today that no matter what, Wal-Mart will only allow an exchange for the exact same game. The reason cited was "copyright infringement". WTFE. He has now sworn a mighty oath to return to Wal-Mart as many times as possible each week, and exchange his game for a new one. Thereby removing them from the shelves of the Minot, ND Wal-Mart, and maybe, just maybe causing a little hate and discontent in the life of the overeducated SOB responsible for this ridiculous debacle.

Thanks all, I'm off to download RTR, I hear they've been doing some kick-ass work.
    Steam doesn't like slow internet connections. Been using the service since it launched, used to love it but i now hate it. Game installs take HOURS because my net connection has gone to hell in recent months. They do work though. IIRC it took 12 hours to install E:TW the first time

I blame AOL and their downgrading of their service. Paid for a premium line, unlimited downloads service and then in Feb they added a fair use policy of 10GB/month to that service. Apparently just by going about my daily routine i use up 10GB/month even when limited to 15kbps £28/month ($46/month) for this rubbish

Icewolf's Avatar Senator

i dont know if this is the same problem, but i have no problem installing the game, its when i try to find the actual game files in my computer... the game may as well not even exist, no folders or anything, its just in the steam/games folder in my steam directory....

anyone know what this is? all i want to do is use some mods, they say i need to go to the AppData/Roaming/TCA/Empire folder, but i dont have that.. i can only get as farr as /Roaming then there isnt anything for Empire, is it how the game is installing??

how do i use the OS installer???? that is confusing me, could someone post very baby orientated steps for doing this? im not farmiliar with steam... i hate CA

a very big and hearty thanks to anyone who can help me with my dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by Shaftoe View Post

Brilliant.... sums it up really.............

Just want to know how long it usually takes for you guys to install the game?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!ive been trying to install Empire for 3 days and it keeps on saying 16 hours till finish, thats for ever i dont even see the bar moving , i tried the other method where i delete everything nd restart nd reinstal but when i finished it just loaded didnt even get to the Empire screen and crashed, PLEASE HELP ME YOU WILL BE THE GREATEST PERSON IN THE WORLD IF YOU DO....

Nosjack's Avatar Praepositus

Have you installed from the disks?

Thank you Strategos Brutus! Nice guide, deserve bit of necromancy.

That work with NTW as well.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345