Thread: Do i actually have to download all 15gb of game?

Default Do i actually have to download all 15gb of game?

Hey,
    I Bought the game today, went to install, put in my product key, and now it says its updating 15gb worth!

Please tell me this is a joke? Do i really have to download 15gb of a game i have 2 cds for?

MoToM's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Do i actually have to download all 15gb of game?

Mine arrived in the post today, no 15GB DL for me.
    Some crashes in Naval part, but not too bad so far.

Good to hear mate. I bought the game today in UK, think it was released yesterday, how many cds did you get with your game? Im seriously considering taking this game back if i have to download this amount.

John-117's Avatar Ordinarius

im sooo glad i cant get this until next week. by then all the bugs with steam and the downloads and crap will be fixed! hallelujah!
    Save a stripper, read a Playboy!
    Upon the invention of the internet, the Earth's rotation has been propelled solely by English teachers rolling in their graves.

I bought the steam version of the game, not the retail one.

I am pretty sure if you have the retail version you dont have to download the whole game of steam.

If you have the retail version then you just need to activate it on steam and download a small patch as i understand. All i can think of it that you hit a steam bug.

Goodluck dedre : )
    ''When you are the anvil, be patient. When you are the hammer, strike''-Arabian Proverb

Is there a way to tell the difference? or assuming that i bought the version of the game from a shop i can say its the retail version of the game?

I am in EXACTLY the same situation. I bought the special forces edition on my way home from work today at GAME in the UK. I installed it off of the disc and now its downloading a massive amount that is estimated to take upto 12 hours!
    Not happy since I bloody got the game on disc and not via steam.
    V
    General Valantine of Bossumton
    Lord Lieutenant of the Cinque Ports
    Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Quote Originally Posted by dedre View Post
    Hey,
    I Bought the game today, went to install, put in my product key, and now it says its updating 15gb worth!

Please tell me this is a joke? Do i really have to download 15gb of a game i have 2 cds for?

You dont!!! Go to your Steam, select Empire Total War and delete the whole game per Steam. The reinstall, now you may have a setup with some bars that show the process of your installation.

MoToM's Avatar Semisalis

Dgirth12 described my experience to a T, small (10 minute) DL prior to install, very few problems since, even the crashes I mentioned earlier have stopped.
    I'm afraid to say I'm really enjoying the game too, the building occupation in field battles is a great feature and Dragoons are a joy to use, especially against melee infantry.

Geordie-warlord's Avatar Miles

well i eventually got my game installed last night (well this morning) at 2.30am after 6 hours of hell..
    basically what happens is when you hit the install screen it stop's at 52mb of 15000mb installed and it downloads some sort of a patch but while it's downloading the time of your install goe's up and up and up!! mine stopped at 2days and 12 hours before it had finished it's little patch then the time was took back down in massive chunks from there it will take about 30min to install and swap disks over ect.
    but then after that the game is installed on steam the auto update come in from steam servers and this is mandatory for the game to work people say its about 100mb but it cant be as i was updating for 1hr and 20 mins at 2-300kbs on avg...
    but after all that then it is finally finished.