Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Slow Map, But Fine Gameplay =S?

Default Slow Map, But Fine Gameplay =S?

Hey All,

Game is all installed and i must say I am impressed with it. When loading a new faction however and it gives you the talk of what you should do as your faction but i am getting a few jerky moments while it does this.

The actually gameplay runs fine however, anyone else getting this?

Intel Core 2 Duo 8400 3.ghz
    Nvidia Geforce 512mb 9800GTX
    4 GB Corsair Ram
    Windows Vista Home 64bit

Default Re: Slow Map, But Fine Gameplay =S?

As your title says slow map, I must say that once I have control on the main map its slow to move around, this is with the speed movement setting at max, and it is terribly jerky, latest Nvidia drivers installed, so I have no idea whats up there, but its poor and I'm not impressed

Intel Core 2 Duo @2:40
    GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB
    4 Gig DDR 2 Ram
    Vista 64-Bit Home Premium
    Jekyll and Hyde

I am no threat but Hyde is (minus the fangs), don't provoke my darkside, you have been warned

My specs: Chronic Migraine Sufferer, Epileptic (Complex Partial Seizures), Multiple Personality Disorders

FEAR Fansite

Well its good to see that its not just myself having this problem. Surely this is something that could be patched, i have latest drivers installed also.

I was and still am contemplating re-installing it just incase, but I can't see that making an difference, I could also try to use an older graphics driver but not sure that would help either, and I hate to have to keep messing around especially if there are no guarantees that what I do will work

I wish I could have brought you a solution instead of having to say I get the same, sorry about that, but at least being the same does have a little bit of a consolation

Not sure if the day one patch has done anything to that side of things, looks like it hasn't
    Jekyll and Hyde

I am no threat but Hyde is (minus the fangs), don't provoke my darkside, you have been warned

My specs: Chronic Migraine Sufferer, Epileptic (Complex Partial Seizures), Multiple Personality Disorders

FEAR Fansite

I was thinking the samething... but I am taking it that if the battles are running fine with all the exploisions and gun fire and death... why can't i scroll across a world map with a few trade ships sailing back and forth from my cities haha

Sure a solution will be found Jekyll... one day!

billydilly's Avatar Senator

Do you know if it's possible to turn off the clouds and shadows on the strat map.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

I sure hope so Tackleberry

billydilly, No not sure on that I'm afraid, I know that in the options I always turn shadows off, but that goes for all my games that have that option, maybe the clouds can be turned off, but I guess we have to wait until we know how to unpack the files and then look through them for things like that, or it might be in a config file somewhere

One thing I am hesitant to do is turn graphics options down or off as then it will affect the battle maps and not the campaign map? not sure on this one at all

Well I just did a total reinstall as yesterday steam was giving me hell, this morning it went through the whole process quick and easy, so later I will see if things are better, but I doubt it, always the pessimist me if things are no better, then I will have to try older Nvidia drivers, I know that for me the 178.24's have always been great for games, but as always I thought for this game I better update them, but since the 180's hit they have been awful (for me at least)
    Last edited by Jekyll; March 04, 2009 at 03:18 AM.
    Jekyll and Hyde

FEAR Fansite

Yeah, I experienced the same. My machine is much more loud while playing on the campaign map than fighting a battle. It's really strange.

Quote Originally Posted by trigorin View Post
    Yeah, I experienced the same. My machine is much more loud while playing on the campaign map than fighting a battle. It's really strange.
    Thats Crazy!.............

My reinstall made no difference whatsoever, this is hopeless, what now, next thing my graphics drivers, I'm trying the 178.24's as now as the game stands with the latest, I just keep getting flickering graphics on the world map.

There was I thinking that I could play and all would be well, that's a laugh
    Jekyll and Hyde

FEAR Fansite

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    My reinstall made no difference whatsoever, this is hopeless, what now, next thing my graphics drivers, I'm trying the 178.24's as now as the game stands with the latest, I just keep getting flickering graphics on the world map.

There was I thinking that I could play and all would be well, that's a laugh

Let me know how that goes Jekyll, if it works i will be doing that

Will do mate, just about to go for it now, stay tuned, I'll only be testing the world map for now, so as not to get to hooked if its fine and then not post back for several hours!
    Jekyll and Hyde

FEAR Fansite

Cheers buddy

So the campaign map is more resource hungry then a land battle map?
    Damn that sucks because I was planning on playing the campaign map and auto resolving till I get my new computer.

OK testing done with these settings using Nvidia 178.24 drivers

Shader Model 3
    AA = None
    Texture Filtering = Trilinear
    Texture Quality = Ultra
    Particle Effects = Ultra
    Unit Detail = Ultra
    Building Detail = Ultra
    Ship Detail = Ultra
    Shadows = Off
    Unit Size = Ultra
    Trees = High
    Grass =Ultra
    Water = Ultra
    Sky = Low

All the options beneath those I've listed are unchecked such as HDR Vertical Synch etc........all unchecked

Result and bear in mind this was just me quickly testing so as to get back to you, I think more tweaking of the graphics options maybe in order, but for me at least there was a definite improvement when the advisor comes at the start of the Grand Campaign and the camera moves round, gving you the guided tour as it were of the world

I had tested with the sky option at its highest and it was still awful on the world map, but since changing it to low it did improve, yes little jerks here and there, but I think that is due to parts of the map that you are first seeing as it has to load it in to memory or whatever it does, I am no tech expert here, so I may be talking a load of old cobblers

Worth trying the 178.24's? I would say if you have the problems as I do with jerky scrolling around the world map, then yes, you've got nothing to lose by trying it, and I sincerely hope that it helps some of you

Also to finally add, its worth if you still find it not great, to keep tweaking things graphically, sounds obvious, but this is for those that are first timers to it, I was new once and did'nt have the faintest idea, and am only just getting ok with things now, so it takes time

Let me know how it fairs for you if you try my suggestion above, I will probably still adjust settings, but its an improvement in my eyes, but everyone thinks differently and so don't shoot the messenger!

One thing I don't follow, if I alter the graphics settings in the options, does it affect the game as a whole or do certain options affect the world map, and others affect the battles? only I wouldn't want to find that the game then looks awful come the land battles, there you see, I still can't follow certain things

Best of luck

Oh and my specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo @2.40GHz
    GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB
    4 Gig DDR2
    500 Gig Barracuda (not sure what size cache, I think its 16MB? not sure on this stuff)
    OnBoard Sound
    Last edited by Jekyll; March 04, 2009 at 04:38 AM.
    Jekyll and Hyde

FEAR Fansite

This is the problem Jek, the graphics options seem that you can only tailor for both the world map and land battles... pure madness, there is not even a option in med 2 to have a different resolution on the world map and battle gameplay.. so it effects the entire game as a whole whatever options you change... its crazy :S.

I'm having similar problems with the campaign map: very sluggish movement and some lag while no problems whatsoever in the battle map with all settings on ultra. I tried turning every graphics setting to its lowest setting but the result in the campaign map was identical to having everything on ultra...

Specs

Intel Core 2 Duo 8500 @ 3.16GHz
    Geforce 9800Gtx
    4 Gig DDR2
    500Gig HD

Hmm,

I don't like that at all, I know that I can easily run it in high, but I have enough to push it a bit further, but its ridiculous, they did say that the map is much bigger than before and I fear that that is also a contributing factor to this, not good, Med 2 runs flawlessly for me and thats everything maxed, I know that this game is not Med2 but even so.

Another thing is that they said no blood in game, ok but then I read it was due to performance, how the hell can that be when its like this with no blood

I hate ranting and forgive me for my outburst, not meant really, just frustration, its not that I have a poor PC either, it can handle games very well, and I cannot afford to upgrade for one game, not only that, but I just bought an Antec 1200 gaming case, more fool me, should have bought a quad core or something instead, and knowing my luck, no better either

I also don't follow the movement speed toggle in options, it hardly speeds up at all still very slow

Btw have you given the 178.24's a go?
    Jekyll and Hyde

FEAR Fansite

Its really strange that Land and Navalbattles running smoother than the campaign map. I turned off the shadwos and i am scrolling with keyboard, it works atleast a little bit smoother. But the CTDs are always there.

Try Shader 2 instead of 3, and if it make a difference.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast