Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The World Map Community Project

Default Re: The World Map Community Project

Wait, are you saying the map they made is actually that big?!

I mean look at it guys, they have that much more of the world actually done, all we have to do is switch the files and make it playable/viewable.

i tried removing testdata.pack from the directory... game loads with no problems, although i haven't tried to go into battle... but it seems Empire doesn't use this 600 Mb file! or maybe i just missing something

i think the testdata contains not implemented content only.

Yeah I could guess that from the name. What I'm saying is, we could switch existing heightmaps/textures/whatever the rest is with the files from the test data, which obviously include more from the look of it.

Errabundi's Avatar Miles

But still South America is missing! No Brazil for Portugal and viceroyalty of Peru for Spain...
    So finally I bought Total War: Rome 2. Regarding I payed 7.5$ for it, it's not a bad game at all!

@Xallas

look post #71 and #110.

all in testdata dont work with game..but there are height and maskdetail on other folder

campaign_detail_mask.dds in campaign/terrain AND \data\heightmaps\default.tga
    Last edited by Takeda♔Shingen; March 31, 2009 at 04:00 AM.

No east asia and south east asia as well!

maybe somebody can tell what kind of files we need to look for? i have a lot of spare time on my hands and really want this thing to get started... and some tools would be useful too (something like names of programs to view files and images)
    Last edited by xallas; March 31, 2009 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOne View Post
    see The World Map Community Project

if you can figure where RGB value with region so thats it.
    reverted from another 'add region thread'

The province TGA files are indexed RGB, given that the regions.esf files contain theatre/region information (i.e a region *has* to be *in* a theatre.

I'd guess that the region key is not the RGB value of the province but the index into the colour pallete

which by implication suggest not more than 256 regions per theatre (less assuming that there's some sea and some masking for the 'old map' effect at the edge of the board.)

I'll hunt some more later, I'm trying to take apart the regions.esf file for RTI episode 1
    as it only has three regions in it. While it's a large file, most of it is just blank.

(of course I might be barking up the wrong tree, I've just assumed that's a good place to start looking)

Libertus

Any progress guys?

This mod has awesome potential, that is if you could pull off a full world map.

hmm -- the full world map sounds awesome -- it begs a further mod though -- something that will throw your ships/armies to the other side once you've reached the edge of the map.
    Under the Patronage of Belisarius

Member of S.I.N.
    = Fidei defensor =

Consider yourself conservative? Five Conservative Classics

I'm not happy because this is the point where i stand. I havn't any idea how i can texture die black places (you only see the rock and snow texture of the land) and i don't know: Is any light out there? Next problem are the borders...
    maybe anyone of you have an idea?

I'm sorry my English isn't so good

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

What did you do? Have you only painted the heightmap?
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

Yes I edit the heightmap, create a map of the whole world and delete the camera-borders. The problems you can read above.

Yes I edit the heightmap,
    Okay...

create a map of the whole world
    What does that mean to you? Edited the campaign map detail mask? Manipulated coastline meshes?

and delete the camera-borders
    Is that the preference file option about switching the camera to "debug" mode that I've read of somewhere?

Please be a bit more specific about your steps or it's hard to discuss your findings and problems.

I mean that I create a bumpmap of the whole world. So all continents are completly included and i didn't edit die campaign_detail_mask... I test it but it havn't any effect. Do you understand?

preference file option? I don't know something about this file. I edit the region.esf to see the completely world that I create.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ketzerfreund View Post
    Umm... CDMan... The Strait Of Gibraltar... That's between Spain and Morocco.

But making Britain smaller might be a good exercise to get acquainted with the mapping system. Think about all the settlements and towns/ports that would have to be moved accordingly, including the region's outlines...

Having done that once - given we've figured out how, that is - will help everyone who is interested in doing campaign mapping in the future become fluent with the work.
    Ouch, I certainly feel rather silly. I promise to read your posts better in the future. I've actually had trouble with this lately for some reason. Regardless, thanks for all your efforts now and in the future.

Maximus_54's Avatar Miles

I'd hate to be the person doing the chinese and japanese areas
    If they're even ever done that is.

How about trying to add provinces to the trade theatres? There are already maps of those areas and coastlines, so surely it should be realtivly easy to turn them into provinces with towns that can be controlled, but still keep the yellow trade circles for fleets?

Jammi, probably at that point the coastline meshes come into play... I hope the modellers will be able to access this game's meshes, soon. "I edit the region.esf to see the completely world that I create." was new to me, by the way; no wonder I didn't get how you made that.

Maximus, one day those areas will probably be made, too. So far a proper Africa and South-America just hold the higher priorities regarding the era this game covers.

Jonny, whether trade-ship-circles and regions with settlement can coexist peacefully in the same theatre hasn't been tested, yet. It would indeed be a neat mod that puts some regions ("installed" trade-posts, so to say) in the trade theatres while keeping trade circles around; those regions would add the aspect of real naval control of the theatre through having a port.
    Depending on how much else we're able to find out - and we're actually pretty far with handling regions, if you take a thorough glance on this thread - such a mod may happen not too far in the future.