Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The World Map Community Project

Default Re: The World Map Community Project

Heck, I'm just mad that CA left territories in the game where there aren't any owners. If we could add cities to those since there already existing and give them owners that would be cool.

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

Yup, I'll begin experimenting on Switzerland first. It's in the middle of Europe, small, has it's shape outlined already etc.

No new map material needed there. Just gotta complete the list of files needed to enable that region. The biggest problem I am facing right now is finding the file that contains the exact coordinates a settlement is placed in and giving the region to someone for the campaign game to load (since we don't have a Switzerland faction, yet ), which would have to be done via startpos.esf.

So, the steps as I can see them so far:

- Load up ..\data\campaign_maps\global_map\europe_lookup.tga, fill Switzerland with a unique colour.
    - Create an entry in ..\data\db\regions_tables\regions - a file that is luckily supported by the Pack File Manager already.
    - Create an entry for the region capital, in this case Bern, in ..\data\db\campaign_map_settlements_tables

Things I couldn't do, yet (as I have the one or the other thing to do besides modding, anyway ):
    - Give the settlement a location. Is that in startpos.esf, too?
    - Give the region some towns for the case that the game needs at least one. See ..\data\db\campaign_map_towns_and_ports. Again, no coordinates are contained in it.
    - Give the settlement to a faction. This is done in startpos.esf. The game will most probably crash if a region doesn't have someone who is in possession of it.

Note, this list is only for creating the region as pure as possible. A full blown Switzerland would of course need a Swiss faction, it's AI behaviour profile (non-expansionist, die-hard neutral) etc. as well as a proper design of the region.
    I don't think the height map has a blind spot there. Haven't looked at it, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOne
    but not yet river,region,trade and desr_strat on etw version
    Actually, yes. It's all in db files and startpos.esf. The names of the db files are actually quite self-explaining, as you an see in my list of steps of making a non-traversible region available.
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

Switzerland faction would be nice. Maybe for starters, you could program the empty territories to simply be rebels until we figure out how to make new factions and stuff?

Just that there is no general rebel faction...

Making a faction would leave the boundaries of this project, anyway. This is about making the world map (including all the research on how mapping works, that's why I made my last post at all) - creating factions etc. is up to the actual mods. We are not going to make a mod here, but a modding resource.

I should finally update the opening post... And use the opportunity to also make it more clear what this is about.
    Expect that for the next few days.
    Last edited by Ketzerfreund; March 22, 2009 at 03:45 AM.

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

hmm, what do you think the campaign detail mask is for?
    Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.

Ketzerfreund,why not PM JeromeGrasdyke and ask how with add city,make map etc..
    maybe he will tell ya how..take risk and put pm to him,whaha

I forgot ..\data\campaign_maps\global_map\regions.esf up there. That one might contain coordinates.

WarriorOne, I might do that, but I'd have to think about what exactly to ask for. Just a one-liner asking "Heya, how do you create campaign maps?" would demand too much of his time for a full-blown tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by lalalax3 View Post
    +1, i was looking to start a thread like this.

Asia in 1700~1900 is an very intriging place to deal with. And certainly has more to do with "Empire" than the default setting. 1799 is hardly scratching the Imperial Age .

give us China+all other Asian nations!

Japan would be interesting as hell for the had a western reform etc.

I'm looking at doing exactly this, but including the entire South East Asia (Japan, China all the way down through Polynesia). Just waiting for folks to do the hard work... such as figure out which files are being used and how to edit them properly. So far alot of this looks familiar from M2, but I see these esf files and such that are encoded and meshes... bleh).

This is my proposal modification of european map I also added some new countries and liquidated artificial "Westphalia", witch was only a vassal state of France in 1807 - 1813. Moreover, if modding the princessa will be possible I would add this map to the European Wars Mod - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=240161 :

Last edited by Simon754; April 01, 2009 at 09:30 AM.

I only want to add that I'm waiting patiently for some easy instructions of moding only Europe and America map, add new countries, liquidate one fraction and change names of some provinces, cities and towns. It will be really helpful in creating realistic and historical mod - European Wars.

Edited the opening post to clarify what this thread is about.

Simon754, at least regarding the names of regions, settlements and towns/ports you an be helped, and the three db files you need for that are already supported by the Pack File Manager.
    The files are ..\db\regions_tables\regions, ..\db\campaign_map_settlements_tables and ..\data\db\campaign_map_towns_and_ports. As I've mentioned them in post #82. Read that! It contains some pointers already.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda Twin
    hmm, what do you think the campaign detail mask is for?
    They (there are two of them; look at page one of this thread) look like they outline certain areas of the map(s) accessible in one way or another. Look at how the .tga mask has these green rectangles marking the trade theatres... The .dds mask looks like marking all the areas in green that you can scroll over... Hmm... I've got an idea for a bold experiment...
    Last edited by Ketzerfreund; March 22, 2009 at 05:24 PM.

Berdiche Knyaz's Avatar Biarchus

Wow this is going to be awesome, I have high hopes for you guys.
    And please add Switzerland, I was angered that CA didnt put them in AND there was no settlment.
    BTW can you add a region between Cologne and Holland? The Netherlands deserve to have more territory in Europe than one small region, also add Holstein and Schleiswig for Denmark.
    And Sweden and Norway needs more settlements, and work with the regions of Eastern Europe, they always have less settlements in every game (MTW2, ETW)

Other than that, I'm good with this

-Berdiche Knyaz
    America: Total War Teammate
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=224197

Quote Originally Posted by Ketzerfreund View Post
    WarriorOne, I might do that, but I'd have to think about what exactly to ask for. Just a one-liner asking "Heya, how do you create campaign maps?" would demand too much of his time for a full-blown tutorial.
    why not? hehe...maybe ya got a bingo win..a full tuts..who know

Yup, I'll begin experimenting on Switzerland first. It's in the middle of Europe, small, has it's shape outlined already etc.
    good luck.

hmm..a.m.e.r.i.c.a._.m.a.p...t.g.a....a.m.e.r.i.c.a._.l.o.o.k.u.p in hex this files..so that might like a regionmap.

campaign_map_playable_areas
    Last edited by Takeda♔Shingen; March 22, 2009 at 10:00 PM.

Edited the opening post to clarify what this thread is about.

Simon754, at least regarding the names of regions, settlements and towns/ports you an be helped, and the three db files you need for that are already supported by the Pack File Manager.
    The files are ..\db\regions_tables\regions, ..\db\campaign_map_settlements_tables and ..\data\db\campaign_map_towns_and_ports. As I've mentioned them in post #82. Read that! It contains some pointers already.

They (there are two of them; look at page one of this thread) look like they outline certain areas of the map(s) accessible in one way or another. Look at how the .tga mask has these green rectangles marking the trade theatres... The .dds mask looks like marking all the areas in green that you can scroll over... Hmm... I've got an idea for a bold experiment...
    Good luck with that, there might be much more that you will need.

Umm... WarriorOne, campaign_map_playable_areas is supported by the Pack File Manager, so you don't need to wade through the file in hex.
    And indeed, 'tis an interesting file; it has those two columns of true/false values that may be the key for opening up the trade theatres for true colonization. Of course, those areas would also need their own proper *_lookup.tga files...

Any luck?

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn ap Nud View Post
    their western reforms weren't until after this period though, am I right?
    Although to be fair, the 18th century is the period where China STARTS to lag behind everyone.

The Qing dynasty golden has just ended, which means they should have an army and technology similar to the Ottomans or the Mugals, if not slightly more advanced.

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

Yer I've muddled with them a bit but every change i've made seems to have no effect, time to do some drastic stuff.
    nope changing the green area to cover all of Asia didn't do anything, perhaps their are some finer details needed to be made?
    Last edited by Yoda Twin; March 23, 2009 at 07:00 AM.
    Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.

I'm very glad that I can now change some names of provinces, towns and ports. I look forward to see exact instructions about:
    - adding new provinces or change shapes of old ones
    - creating or liquidating countries (I see that you're "experimenting" with Switzerland ).
    I'm assure that you can help and I'm waiting for your replys .

Errabundi's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Simon754 View Post
    I'm very glad that I can now change some names of provinces, towns and ports.
    How do you do that? Can you PM me?

First thing I want to correct is to change the names of East and West Prussia to Royal and Duchal Prussia as it was its historical name before 1772.

And I'm working on new provinces.
    Last edited by Errabundi; March 24, 2009 at 03:34 AM.
    So finally I bought Total War: Rome 2. Regarding I payed 7.5$ for it, it's not a bad game at all!