Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The World Map Community Project

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: The World Map Community Project

ReyMandez, this particular project is only about blank maps for the whole community to use. I really hope the teams find this thread!

Especially with that supposedly gigantic heap of work that may be involved with all the modeling (all I've posted above is just assumptions according to what the unpacked files reveal so far!), it would be far more effective for the community to work together on a complete world map instead of each team to fiddle on maps on their own, especially since several projects rely on additional regions not included with the vanilla world map.
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

For those of us who are interested in helping but don't have any skills so far, could you edit in links to the relevant tutorials we should be looking at to learn in the first post?

This project will probably spawn some mapping tutorials in the course of further investigation; at least as soon as the db and esp files regaring mapping become editable (and therefore readable without headaches). Of course, besides modeling there's also texturing involved, for that googling for "texturing tutorial" will give you gazillions of results.

We're still at the beginning here, and some things remain unclear so far. I hope that we'll know as much as possible as soon as the text files (needed for defining regions, after all) become available properly.

Choki's Avatar Domesticus

WORLD MAP!!! YEEES!!! If you whant any help just tellme!

I WANT TO PLAY AS ARGENTINA!!!!!!!!

I tried to edit "europe_lookup.tga", but even if there are no changes, after saving with Gimp 2.6, the filesize reduces to 86 kb from 145, and the game crashes upon load. Any ideas, how to save in an "ETW compatible" mode?

Using "save as..." and switching RLE compression off in the little checkbox that comes up then gives me the same file size.

I can help you with Dutch East Indies Map/Indonesia. But currently I really don't know how to mod the map. I can do Photoshop/GFX.

I think the problem of crash is because the color table is not right. You should save the table from the original then load it when you want to save the modified one if you guys are using Photoshop.

Pretty detailed Indonesian Map:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by IndoPruss; March 09, 2009 at 08:58 AM.

CA you have done a great job so far, keep up the good work!!

Why there is no German-Axis FPS game?
    Thank You for the rep+ given!:wink:

XiombargDei's Avatar Civis

i hereby propose my help as researcher and translator from english to french
    i'm a peon, just tell me what to do Sir !

France and belgium had colonies in west and equatorian africa, so i could work on this theater. just tell me what kind of info you need.

Well, IndoPruss, it looks like mapping will we more about modeling than about just painting the map, although it's terrain will have to be defined through graphics, I guess. It has become quite clear to me that the campaign map consists of models; that's how they got rid of the tiles, which were the pixels in the graphic files of the previous two games.
    [Edit:]But we're far from being finished with researching the concept of the campaign map, yet.

XiombargDei: This project doesn't really need researchers. This is not about adding factions etc., but about having the community as a whole work on a blank world map for other mods to build upon. But I can use more researchers for All Horizons - Total War ; what I told Ramsay in that thread would apply to every researcher.
    Last edited by Ketzerfreund; March 09, 2009 at 10:51 AM.

I mean to be practical, the world was available pretty much at this point so I don't see why so much of it has been left out. ESPECIALLY, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Africa (major role played in these periods) and ofc China.

I fully support this project and wish it the best of success and that the use of a world map that will be integrated successfully into all the big realism mods!

Nack's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Levantos View Post
    I mean to be practical, the world was available pretty much at this point so I don't see why so much of it has been left out. ESPECIALLY, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Africa (major role played in these periods) and ofc China.

I fully support this project and wish it the best of success and that the use of a world map that will be integrated successfully into all the big realism mods!
    Don't forget the rest of the americas.

Quote Originally Posted by Choki View Post
    WORLD MAP!!! YEEES!!! If you whant any help just tellme!

I WANT TO PLAY AS ARGENTINA!!!!!!!!
    The campaign ends in 1800 (16 years before the liberation), but It won't be long until we get a mod that adds, say, 50 or 70 more years so we can kick some spanish royal ass.
    Last edited by Nack; March 09, 2009 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Tiberius
    ...but It won't be long...
    Your word in God's ears...

Gwyn ap Nud's Avatar Ducenarius

As I said before, I had posted alot in the original thread, so now I'm posting interest here.

Cogito Ergo Vicco

you cant give new regions in the world map to the established empires, or else you are going to end up overpowering some empires and putting others like the Marathas in a huge disadvantage plus in that time colonization has not truly set in. So either way you are going to have to come up with a lot of new factions.(plus why not have Argentina as a protectorate, things dont have to be extremely accurate)

XiombargDei's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by rouma93 View Post
    you cant give new regions in the world map to the established empires, or else you are going to end up overpowering some empires and putting others like the Marathas in a huge disadvantage plus in that time colonization has not truly set in. So either way you are going to have to come up with a lot of new factions.(plus why not have Argentina as a protectorate, things dont have to be extremely accurate)
    well correct me if i'm wrong but this is not the good thread for this. I think this thread is just about having the world map available for any other mod to use, it is not about balancing. It is just to propose the blank canvas, then check other mods for what to put inside

Exactly, XiombargDei. Thank you for helping other people read.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

I wish some Admin would have the common dogfkuc to sticky this already

Choki's Avatar Domesticus

Well, looks good, but this map, the map who already have the game. The World, need to make some modifications or have all the textures and all the nesesary to work. Do you understend?

It's not just textures, Choki. That's the bad part about this work; you can't just "paint" the map like in the previous games anymore, you need to model it. There are meshes and splines (according to filenames) in map-related folders...

And of course, the game may contain that one graphic file with those green markings, which I think outline certain playable regions and mark trade theatres etc., but surely there are no models for the parts you don't get to see in the game. Those will have to be made. And that will need some modelers. Modelers with way too much time on their hands.