Thread: How do you mod buildings, units and movement points?

Default How do you mod buildings, units and movement points?

So i finally got my retail copy installed and running, but now i have a few issues. Basically i need to mod movement rates, build times of buildings, and build times and sizes of units. I am utterly outraged that they still only have maximum unit sizes of 200 even when unit sizes are set to huge. This is completely rediculous with today's computer power. I could easily set unit sizes to at least 500 for infantry and 200 for cav, and have a full stack with 8-10k men without any lag. The current unit sizes are just incredibly lame. I have a huge empire with millions of people, and the best it can muster is an "army" of like 400 men. Anything bigger takes about 723 turns to build and assemble with the current excrusiatingly slow movement rates and build times.

So i need to mod movement rates, unit sizes (number of men per unit) and build times for building and units. I've managed to unpack all the files using the unpacker for the demo, but i can't find the relevant files. Does anyone know which files they are?
    Last edited by Serben; March 03, 2009 at 11:15 PM.

Default Re: How do you mod buildings, units and movement points?

Quote Originally Posted by Serben View Post
    So i finally got my retail copy installed and running, but now i have a few issues. Basically i need to mod movement rates, build times of buildings, and build times and sizes of units. I am utterly outraged that they still only have maximum unit sizes of 200 even when unit sizes are set to huge. This is completely rediculous with today's computer power. I could easily set unit sizes to at least 500 for infantry and 200 for cav, and have a full stack with 8-10k men without any lag. The current unit sizes are just incredibly lame. I have a huge empire with millions of people, and the best it can muster is an "army" of like 400 men. Anything bigger takes about 723 turns to build and assemble with the current excrusiatingly slow movement rates and build times.

So i need to mod movement rates, unit sizes (number of men per unit) and build times for building and units. I've managed to unpack all the files using the unpacker for the demo, but i can't find the relevant files. Does anyone know which files they are?

lol im sorry i cant answer your question but once youve done this make a video with a 10k war!!! will be awsome i agree though even my computer could handle way more
    Remake Rome:total war

Doesn't anyone have any idea? I've looked through every file i can think of, but can't find anything. I really need to mod this game since in its current state it is seriously ruining my enjoyment of it.

Thanks in advance.

Doesn't anyone have any idea? I've looked through every file i can think of, but can't find anything. I really need to mod this game since in its current state it is seriously ruining my enjoyment of it.

Thanks in advance.
    Im not an expert but will start digging also when i get the game tomorrow.
    My issues are the same as yours, if you think a modern specs computer can handle it i would like to have 700-1000 man units.

I don't think any computer will be able to handle a full stack of 1k units. But i'm going to set it to about 500 for each infantry unit and then make a full stack in a custom battle and see how it handles. If it handles well i'll make them bigger.

Tiro

I remember someone modded the demo to get a unit of 1k grenadiers, can't remember who it was though.

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

How about waiting for someone to identify the file format of the files in the ..\data\db\ directories first, where almost everything regarding the gameplay mechanics resides?
    What I want to say: We can't edit most of the stuff, yet!

This is how most of the relevant files look like so far. Have fun finding anything in there. Let alone edit... Those vertical bars are "00" in hex. That stuff can't even be copied/pasted.
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

I am utterly outraged that they still only have maximum unit sizes of 200 even when unit sizes are set to huge. This is completely rediculous with today's computer power. I could easily set unit sizes to at least 500 for infantry and 200 for cav, and have a full stack with 8-10k men without any lag. The current unit sizes are just incredibly lame. I have a huge empire with millions of people, and the best it can muster is an "army" of like 400 men.
    I agree with you 100% that is beyond ridiculous for 18th Century or any century for that matter. Please keep us apprised of your progress.
    Last edited by Huberto; March 04, 2009 at 08:45 PM.