Thread: Its been asked before, but please help with specs.

Default Its been asked before, but please help with specs.

I tried the demo out and it turns out my card can only run this game on low. Now I have a GeForce 8500 GT. How horrible is this, I also have a Athlon AMD Dual Core 6000+ 3 GHz processor. The new card I'm looking to buy is this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121272

Is it worth it?

Default Re: Its been asked before, but please help with specs.

Moved to the technical Help section, I will leave this for now, but you should check the stickies above regarding spec information.

I just upgraded from a 8600GT to a 9800GTX this afternoon. I've got the AMD Dual Core 5600+. Before I could run the demo on medium/low and it was very choppy; now I can run it on ultra and it is smooth; I am very happy and you will definitely notice a huge difference upgrading. From what I've heard that is a good video card, if you have the money to spare I would definitely recommend upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by keith moons liver View Post
    I just upgraded from a 8600GT to a 9800GTX this afternoon. I've got the AMD Dual Core 5600+. Before I could run the demo on medium/low and it was very choppy; now I can run it on ultra and it is smooth; I am very happy and you will definitely notice a huge difference upgrading. From what I've heard that is a good video card, if you have the money to spare I would definitely recommend upgrading.
    Thanks I'm ordering it right now.

Make sure you've got a good enough power supply, I had to upgrade that in order to handle a modern GPU

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

I would recommend double checking your processor power before ordering a new graphics card or you could end up spending alot of money for something that will not work to its full potencial
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    I would recommend double checking your processor power before ordering a new graphics card or you could end up spending alot of money for something that will not work to its full potencial
    Is there something wrong with my processor?

Semisalis

With that CPU, you'll see a pretty large performance jump when moving from an 8500 to a HD4850.
    E8500 @ 4GHz (445x9) | TRUE120 + Noctua NF-12P | 4GB 1066MHz Corsair Dominator (5-5-5-15) | Gigabyte EP45-DS4P | HIS HD4870x2 | TT Truepower 750w Modular | TT Armor+ | 2 x WD 640GB | Windows 7 RC 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by R4nd0M View Post
    With that CPU, you'll see a pretty large performance jump when moving from an 8500 to a HD4850.
    So do I change anything else with my PC, or just the card? I'm really a computer noob.

Quote Originally Posted by nibiski View Post
    So do I change anything else with my PC, or just the card? I'm really a computer noob.
    You might need a new power supply; if you look at your current one inside your case there should be a sticker or something visible that says how many watts it is. For that a HD4850 you probably need one that is 450-500 watts. You can get an adequate one in that range for like 50 bucks on newegg.
    Last edited by keith moons liver; March 03, 2009 at 06:57 PM.

PXZyan's Avatar Ducenarius

Make sure you got a good 500 WATT PSU to go with it. I would seriously recommend a Corsair 550WATT PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139004