Thread: exploring the mapping system

Senator

Default exploring the mapping system

well i am going to get the game tomorrow, i think the maps are divided into 3 america, europe and asia i think. so i want to see if we can add more then three maps, which i will try tomorrow , if so i think this can open the door to different types of mods like a galaxy mod. which i might create.

Gwyn ap Nud's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: exploring the mapping system

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=190288

What's this? An entire mod dedicated to exploring the limits of mapping in ETW? Wow, I totally didn't see that, only on the second page! What a coincidence.

Check out that mod.

Cogito Ergo Vicco

Senator

plus when i made the thread there was only about 6 threads in here.

Tominokar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn ap Nud View Post
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=190288

What's this? An entire mod dedicated to exploring the limits of mapping in ETW? Wow, I totally didn't see that, only on the second page! What a coincidence.

Check out that mod.
    That's an idea to create a map of the entire world, it does not explore the limits of the mapping engine, or how modding the map will work (as it was created way before release).

Would be interested if someone could post how similar it is to mapping on M2TW...

"Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible." - Mark Jenkins

Senator

i don't think we can mod it yet though all the files are packed.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrupt View Post
    i don't think we can mod it yet though all the files are packed.
    So much for CA claiming it is the most moddable TW yet

"Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible." - Mark Jenkins

Senator

don't worry i think they are realising an unpacker & modding tools

Quote Originally Posted by Corrupt View Post
    don't worry i think they are realising an unpacker & modding tools
    There's no technical reason why an unpacker couldn't have been released already (they must have one for their own uses), and why they had to pack almost every game file in the first place.

The only reason I can see is to prevent mods from outshining their vanilla game this early on- as while it creates a longer lasting community, mods generally draw criticism to the original developers work. Sometimes rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyknocker View Post
    There's no technical reason why an unpacker couldn't have been released already (they must have one for their own uses), and why they had to pack almost every game file in the first place.
    a 15 gb game has to be packed unless you want an unreasonable amount of discs in the case(and nowadays, anything more than two dvds is still considered unreasonable). As for downloading, let's not get into how unreasonable it is to dl more than 15 gb.

As for the unpacker, they're more concerned with fixing the showstopper bugs that inevitably get found in ANY program(not just games) when you exponentially increase your user count. And rightly so.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.