Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remember to defrag!

Default Remember to defrag!

Hope no one minds me starting a new topic for this.

ETW is a big install, it should be standard precedure to defrag before install, but for those that might get to excited at the hour, taking the trouble in advance should help you out in the long run.
    Last night I spent awhile freeing up as much of my HDrive as I could, deleting stuff I didn't need and uninstalling games I realisticly may not play again/for ages.

My first defrag took 5mins on a Raptor HDrive, I ran 2 more until it took 3 seconds.
    After installing the game I will run another defrag. I did this for the demo and my loading times were under 1 min without unpacking the files!

Default Re: Remember to defrag!

How do you defrag?

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Friedman View Post
    How do you defrag?
    rofl, i'm actually sitting in a classroom atm defragging all the PCs and using it as an excuse to waste time on this forum.

My computer > rightclick on c (or w/e harddrive letter) > tools tab > defragment now > defragment

How do you defrag?
    click on my computer or just just computer if you have vista,right click on c drive or whatever drive you have,click on properties then click on tools then click defrag now.....

How do you defrag?
    Tool Bar, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter.

You were being serious right?

If you have Vista then the windows defragger isn't too good. It runs as a background application and takes ages.

Auslogics Disk Defrag and Pirform Defraggler are excellent 3rd Party options. The Auslogics one being the quickest.
    Last edited by Vor; March 03, 2009 at 03:34 AM.

Ightenhill's Avatar Senator

if you can avoid it dont use the windows defrag.. Its useless.. Download a demo and use that..

E8400 on Asus P5N32-E overclocked to 4.00ghz with arctic cooling
    POV GTX 285 XP (SP3) Crucial Ballistix 2gb DDR2 RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Frost, colonel View Post

ETW is a big install, it should be standard precedure to defrag before install, but for those that might get to excited at the hour, taking the trouble in advance should help you out in the long run.
    Last night I spent awhile freeing up as much of my HDrive as I could, deleting stuff I didn't need and uninstalling games I realisticly may not play again/for ages.

My first defrag took 5mins on a Raptor HDrive, I ran 2 more until it took 3 seconds.
    After installing the game I will run another defrag. I did this for the demo and my loading times were under 1 min without unpacking the files!

i think it should fit on 800 gigs of free space if not im screwed
    Remake Rome:total war

Lurker's Avatar Miles

When I go to school I'll defrag it :]
    And then again. And then again.
    Too bad it's with Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by Vor View Post
    If you have Vista then the windows defragger isn't too good. It runs as a background application and takes ages.

Auslogics Disk Defrag and Pirform Defraggler are excellent 3rd Party options. The Auslogics one being the quickest.
    Forgot to mention. Both are free. Auslogics also do a registry cleaner and registry defragger which I ran for the first time today. Didn't do much good. 3.7% increase for boot times it said. But it wasn't exactly slow to begin with so there wasn't much it could do to speed things up. On a slower, older, more cluttered machine it may do a better job.

Auslogics Disk Defrag is a great program. Use it all the time on customers computers. It is much faster and more efficient (only takes one run to fully defrag) that the default windows defragmenter.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

I like PerfectDisk 2008 for my defraging needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost, colonel View Post

Thx for the heads up but way ahead of you: Already deleted 150Gb of crap and ran a defrag 1 week ago for this purpose.
    Taimse im' chodladh, agus ná dúisigh mé
    Mná na h-Éireann
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodey View Post
    Is not wierd dinosaur woman, but woman AND dinosaur. Not combined arms and legs into creature. Different unit. Player can learn teknologi for mount woman on dinosaur.

Totenkopf's Avatar Civis

I'm trying to uninstall stuff but there's something seriously wrong with parts of my computer.

I'm running Vista, and it's the strangest thing. I can't access the "Games" tab from the start menu at all, when I click it I see the window flash up and then close in a split second. Not that that really matters but the real issue is the Programs and Features window for uninstalling stuff etc.

The left menu bar doesn't display properly, all I can see is the tiny Windows shield and right clicking on programs brings up a small blank window. Sometimes by clicking randomly within it I can uninstall something but it's usually impossible. Anybody else come across this weird issue???

Are you cool, man?

Senator

diskeeper
    Last edited by lesterthenerd; March 03, 2009 at 05:09 AM.

Forgot to mention. Both are free. Auslogics also do a registry cleaner and registry defragger which I ran for the first time today. Didn't do much good. 3.7% increase for boot times it said. But it wasn't exactly slow to begin with so there wasn't much it could do to speed things up. On a slower, older, more cluttered machine it may do a better job.
    Just downloaded and running on you recommendation. Its fast! thanks for that.
    Rep to you sir
    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Declaration of Arbroath, 1320AD

Semisalis

I think it should fit in this topic as I don't want to open one for that tiny issue, but will you unpack ETW for better loading times ?
    Do you mean it would have any consequences for online playability because of steam ?

Ightenhill's Avatar Senator

Has anyone tried "Ultimate Defrag" it claims and i quote to "allow you to place gaming files in the most eficient recovery parts of the disc to boost performance".. How the hell can that work when discs have more so much cache these days and spin like lightspeed.. What next

E8400 on Asus P5N32-E overclocked to 4.00ghz with arctic cooling
    POV GTX 285 XP (SP3) Crucial Ballistix 2gb DDR2 RAM

In the lastest APC mag (Australia) there's a FREE 2008 edition of Tuneup utility, I've used that to defrag and clean up my register etc etc .. all clean!

Ready to be dirtied .. with war .. total war. (sic)

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

oh ok will try that...thx for advice

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast