Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Real Moors Project [RMP]

HbHadast's Avatar Civis

Default Real Moors Project [RMP]

Hi everyone,

Thanks for everyone who encouraged me to start this "mini-mod". Actually, i don't consider myself to be a Modder, i'm still far from it. But you can say that this is a mini-mod from a mini-modder.

This project aims to make the Moors really playable. (Who would enjoy playing an orange faction? ) So there will be no more ugly orange. We will try also to respect the historical accuracy (for banners especially).

The work is still in progress but here is some screenshots to show you how it is going (and maybe to enourage some modders to help because i'm doing all the work alone for now ):

BANNERS (50% finished):

General:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Infantry + Spearmen:

Missile (NEW):

Cavalry:

UNITS (5% finished ):

nubian units:

Credits:
    - B.Ward for the banners Templates
    Last edited by HbHadast; March 03, 2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: added new missile banner

hotcobbler's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Real Moors Project [RMP]

They look awesome, and I would love to help, but I'm just starting to get into modding. Any advice you could give me on reskinning? Once I figure it out (I'm doing my own research but maybe I'm not looking in the right places) maybe a project to try out? Like, give me a unit or maybe a banner would be easier, and I'll work on that.

I would love to see this in game, just started a Portuguese campaign so I see these a lot.

+rep for starting this up

True wisdom is less presuming than folly. The wise man doubteth often, and changeth his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubteth not; he knoweth all things but his own ignorance. --- Pharaoh Akhenaten,
    mid 12th century.

hotcobbler's Avatar Tiro

This is interesting, apparently disenfranchised Iberian Jews fought alongside the Moors. In the picture, look a the first line of troops. They are holding a flag with several stars of David. Maybe that's a unit that could get put in.

Last edited by hotcobbler; March 06, 2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Putting a gigantorous image in spoilers :)

True wisdom is less presuming than folly. The wise man doubteth often, and changeth his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubteth not; he knoweth all things but his own ignorance. --- Pharaoh Akhenaten,
    mid 12th century.

HbHadast's Avatar Civis

Hi hotcobbler and thanks for your support!

َAmazing document that you brought up there. I knew about the use of the star of David by the Moors. Here's another picture where you can find it in a banner alongside the banner i already used for infantry:

But i'd like to tell you that it has nothing to do with the jews in this case. In fact, the non-Muslims had to pay Al Jizya (a tax) for owning lands and houses in the Muslim caliphate indeed (without being obliged to leave their properties) but also because they do not participate in Jihad. The use of the star of David (Najmatu-Da'ud) was quite common among Muslim dynasties. Do a search and you'll find it in the decoration of many Muslim buildings, coins etc...

I think we should add the star of david then, to the missiles main banner maybe? :hmmm: Anyway, we gotta put some in the mini-banners.

HbHadast's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by hotcobbler View Post
    They look awesome, and I would love to help, but I'm just starting to get into modding. Any advice you could give me on reskinning? Once I figure it out (I'm doing my own research but maybe I'm not looking in the right places) maybe a project to try out? Like, give me a unit or maybe a banner would be easier, and I'll work on that.

I would love to see this in game, just started a Portuguese campaign so I see these a lot.

+rep for starting this up
    Great... It will definitely make it easier. Can you send me your IM address in PM?

HbHadast's Avatar Civis

Update:
    - New main missile banner
    - New screenshots for some banners

Agis Tournas's Avatar ★ Modder-at-Arms ★

Very nice work...
    BRAVO HbHadast!
    +rep after 24-hours [you will get it tomorrow]
    A mini-mod is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!

Son of Agisilaos / Grandson of jimkatalanos / Great-grandson of Garbarsardar

Really beautiful banners. I've always shied away from the Moors for the reasons you stated. But I will give them a go when you are done...

Would not be surprised if Repman uses some of your work! + Rep

HbHadast's Avatar Civis

Thank you hotcobbler - agistournas - Xtiaan72 for the +rep. Thanks also to everyone who rewarded me but prefered to stay anonymous. It is a honor. I'll keep it up and try to be quick (Quality comes first though).

I'm convinced about the main banners for now. I think they're ok. I wasn't very satisfied with the first main banner i chose for missiles , but the message of hotcobbler gave me ideas (inspiration ). Any comments are still welcome, i'm ready to do any upadate and that's why i'm sharing the work progress with you. I'm still having two problems though:
    1- The banners holders are holding different banners then the ones i created. I didn't figure out which files or how i should mod these. (Again: Do i need permission for that or a simple credit is enough?)
    2- Regarding the cavalry missiles, it's shredded in the middle and i don't know how to remove this effect.
    It would be a pleasure if a professional can tell me what to do.

Otherwise, i started to create the mini-banners... I'll try to make a good variety and show you you how it's going.
    If i'll continue this way, i think when it's all done, you'll get a demo before the official release.

Well, You've got the right attitude about it! But your banners are a huge improvement already. It has to be said!

hotcobbler's Avatar Tiro

Ok, so I spent some time figuring out what I'm doing, and everything seemed to be going well. I got my files converted, loaded them up into my Paint.net program (sort of like free photoshop) and did my thing.

I decided to start with Moorish peasants, because well, if I screw it up at least you won't see much of them! Got everything painted red, and even added calligraphy over the heart of one of the units, supposed to say "Allah" in Arabic. Merged all my layers when I was done, saved files as .dds. Then I converted it back to a texture file, dropped it in the original location, and loaded up a custom battle. Here's what I was presented with:

Now I'm just wondering what I did wrong. You can see the changes I made, but there is a strange transparency issue going on that changes with the camera angle and distance. Closer up things come into view, but farther away they virtually disappear. I know it's probably something everyone knows about, but this is my first try, gimme a break Anyway, if I get this down I might actually be some help to ya.

mid 12th century.

Quote Originally Posted by hotcobbler View Post
    Merged all my layers when I was done, saved files as .dds.
    If I remember right, you should be careful with .dds files - there is a .dds [1] and a .dds [5]
    You have to check in the workshop section.
    I am sure you will find the answer there...

Cheers
    Agis

EDIT:
    Your units looks like that because you didn't save the dds file correctly, you must save it as DXT5 interpolated alpha.
    [this is what is mentioned in the workshop for a similar problem]
    Last edited by Agis Tournas; March 04, 2009 at 12:26 PM.
    A mini-mod is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!

hotcobbler's Avatar Tiro

Thanks, I figured it out in the workshop too. I'll upload new images shortly.

mid 12th century.

hotcobbler's Avatar Tiro

Thanks for the help Agis, here are the fruits of my labor:

I'm gonna start on another unit now. This is addictive!

mid 12th century.

VERY NICE hotcobbler
    Keep up the good work!
    HbHadast and you will give us a really nice mini-mod

I suppose that repman will be glad to add your finished work in a next version

hotcobbler's Avatar Tiro

I'm getting the hang of this. This is the new captain for the Moors, though you probably won't see him much since most people fight with a general in the army, I'm still just trying out techniques on minor figures I put him with my peasants cause that's how I roll.

Thanks for the encouragement Agis!

mid 12th century.

hotcobbler's Avatar Tiro

I'm on a roll. I edited all (I'm pretty sure) the dismounted spearmen and archers with striped robes. It was all one file so it was easy, but picking out those lines was not.

It's too late for me to work on the orange shields, but I think that's my next task tommorow. It sure will beat the hell out of selecting tiny lines all night

mid 12th century.

hotcobbler's Avatar Tiro

So, I got most of the units done, I've still gotta get to the shields, but things are coming along more smoothly now. Here's a taste:

I think the captains and peasants I made earlier need a little toning down in the intensity of the reds, some of them read as a reddish orange to me, so I might have to go back and deal with them. Let me know how you guys thing they are color-wise, I'm open to suggestions. Now to work on the shields.

mid 12th century.

HbHadast's Avatar Civis

@ hotcobbler

Good job mate! I'm glad the project is still going on even though i was absent in the past 3 days.

Now, coming to the units. I think some were done perfectly and others weren't in the same quality. Sometime not the same red also. Anyway, we'll discuss that together to get a harmounious mod. Please check your PMs.

GREAT WORK guys!
    Continue this way!

Cheers
    Agis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast