Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it true the British defeat at Cartagena in 1741? Vernon vs. Blezo

Default Re: Is it true the British defeat at Cartagena in 1741? Vernon vs. Blezo

Still doesn't matter cause we all know who lost the war... a single battle amounts to little you know.
    Patronised by Voltaire le Philosophe

Therefore One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful. War is of vital importance to the state and should not be engaged carelessly... - Sun Tzu

Orochimaru & Aizen you must Die!! Bankai Dattebayo!!

Tiro

Default Re: Is it true the British defeat at Cartagena in 1741? Vernon vs. Blezo

Quote Originally Posted by Belisaire_ View Post
    It was just a siege, nobody was really defeated or winner. Victory or defeat it's only for battle not siege.
    Oh, too bad. So there is no winner in sports events, either, I assume? After all, a race or a throwing contest are not battles, either... :hmmm:

Darn, and I really thought I won that game of chess last night.

And who's gonna tell the truth to the poor souls that mistakenly thought they won the lottery?

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Quote Originally Posted by gaius valerius View Post
    Still doesn't matter cause we all know who lost the war... a single battle amounts to little you know.
    there's the important part.

if you're looking for a list of british defeats in battle over the last 300 or so years you can fill entire books with them. battles dont always win wars though, and the british have a habit of being on the right side at the end of the day.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Belisaire_'s Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha View Post
    Oh, too bad. So there is no winner in sports events, either, I assume? After all, a race or a throwing contest are not battles, either... :hmmm:

Darn, and I really thought I won that game of chess last night.

And who's gonna tell the truth to the poor souls that mistakenly thought they won the lottery?
    An exemple for you, Alexander the great has 4 victories Granicus Issus Gaugamela Hydaspes all pitched battles, sieges like Tyr aren't victories.

Still an amazing victory nonetheless

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

An exemple for you, Alexander the great has 4 victories Granicus Issus Gaugamela Hydaspes all pitched battles, sieges like Tyr aren't victories.
    sounds like an argument about semantics to me.. both of you know that the british were bested so why the argument?.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

yeah, the citizens of Tyr still insisted on a tactical draw when being shipped off into slavery...

Sieges like Tyre and Gaza might not be counted because they did not take place between the main combatants but were conducted by one side to take control of a region. In the discussed case you have both main combatants involved in the fighting to take or keep control of a strategic harbour.

The British certainly didn't ship so many men halfway around the world to die of disease quicker, sink some ships and then sail home.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12