Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it true the British defeat at Cartagena in 1741? Vernon vs. Blezo

Default Is it true the British defeat at Cartagena in 1741? Vernon vs. Blezo

Just copying and pasting what I found, I've never heard or read about such battle that seems to been a tremendous shame to the British Army in the battle for Indians Cartagena's (Spain) Port.

The British invasion fleet was one of the largest in history, numbering 186 vessels (the Spanish Armada, in 1588 had 126 vessels), including ships of the line , frigates, fireships, and transports, with a total complement of 23,600 combatants and some 2,000 cannons. To counter this, Blas de Lezo had at his disposal just 3,000 regular soldiers, 600 Indian archers, and the crews and troops of six ships of the line: the flagship Galicia and the ships San Felipe, San Carlos, Africa Dragón and Conquistador. Edward Vernon was pretty sure of the victory, and news were sent to London that Cartagena had been conquered even before the battle had started. Yet Blas de Lezo's tactics took Vernon by surprise. Blas de Lezo ordered all his vessels be sunk, thus blocking the port. A pit was dug around the city walls, in order to prevent a direct assault. Trenches were displayed in zig-zag, in order to avoid the effect of cannon fire. Two soldiers were sent to the English camp, feinting surrender, providing the assailants with false information about the Spanish positions. At night, the Spanish army charged by surprise, using bayonnets, forcing the English army to retreat, despite the fact that they were heavily outnumbered

When the news that Cartagena hadn't been conquered reached London, and that the invading fleet had been humiliated by a much inferior force, king George II tried to avoid the truth from being printed

Default Re: Is it true the British defeat at Cartagena in 1741? Vernon vs. Blezo

Yep its true

Default Re: Is it true the British defeat at Cartagena in 1741? Vernon vs. Blezo

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=230048

Already a thread about it. Have a mod take it to the V.V you'll get a decent discussion there.

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

Moved to the VV.
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

Alhamar's Avatar Miles

Just because our british friends tried to hide the sounded defeat doesnt make it false.

Blezo was a hard man.

Nice day.
    Andalusian Cubism.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhamar View Post
    Just because our british friends tried to hide the sounded defeat doesnt make it false.

Blezo was a hard man.

Nice day.
    Who, might I ask, has 'tried to hide it'? I keep asking spanish posters about this and they shiver and stall and resort to cheap insults. I'm sure you'll oblige me with some answers.

Alhamar's Avatar Miles

The king hide the printed coins and told to hide the defeat, i wasnt refering to the british now or the british historians but about at the time when the battle happened. I wanst insulting u you and i do not respond about what other people do just because they are spanish as you would understand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...gena_de_Indias look in the aftermath.

Nice day.
    Andalusian Cubism.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhamar View Post
    The king hide the printed coins and told to hide the defeat, i wasnt refering to the british now or the british historians but about at the time when the battle happened. I wanst insulting u you and i do not respond about what other people do just because they are spanish as you would understand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...gena_de_Indias look in the aftermath.

Nice day.
    The coin thing was just Hubris. The hushing up of bad news is nothing new in warfare, and as the Walpole government collapsed the news evidently wasn't suppressed very well. The battle is less well known in Britain for two reasons -firstly it was a battle in a war as part of a bigger war (The war of the Austrian succession) and secondly it wasn't against the traditional enemy, France. If it had been doom-sayers would have been thronging the streets screaming about imminant french invasion, as so often seemed to happen.

Thankyou for replying, btw.

The defeat in itself is pretty embarrassing.

I heard king George tried to get the presses from not releasing the news...

Quote Originally Posted by Blas de Lezo y Olavarrieta View Post
    I heard king George tried to get the presses from not releasing the news...
    I don't think it was his call. Ever hear of the RMS Lancastria? It was the single biggest loss in British maritime history. The morale in wartime Britain would have sunk (if you'll excuse the pun), but there was nothing. The reason? Churchill had ordered a news black-out. Only recently has there been any recognition of it.

Belisaire_'s Avatar Semisalis

It was just a siege, nobody was really defeated or winner. Victory or defeat it's only for battle not siege.

It was still pretty amazing thou

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belisaire_ View Post
    It was just a siege, nobody was really defeated or winner. Victory or defeat it's only for battle not siege.
    "Just a siege" how silly to see on it like that, it was a fantastic spanish victory, It's just to accept it.

Victors are declared in sieges as well you know.

Dind't mean to put salt in an old scar. ha!

But it's nice to see people arguing about history for once.

If that Blezo was really as tough as the sources I've read claim him to be... what an amazing man.

So long.

Quote Originally Posted by arkeologen View Post

Victors are declared in sieges as well you know.
    Nope.

Then how do you call it???????
    Patronised by Voltaire le Philosophe

Therefore One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful. War is of vital importance to the state and should not be engaged carelessly... - Sun Tzu

Orochimaru & Aizen you must Die!! Bankai Dattebayo!!

Quote Originally Posted by gaius valerius View Post
    Vernon called it "Resupply time"

Quote Originally Posted by gaius valerius View Post
    When it's a failure, a siege lifted.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belisaire_ View Post
    Nope.
    Of course the Spanish were the victors, clearly, dealing much damage to the british and completed their "objective" while the british failed to, just accept it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast