Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: -- Preview of Rohan --

Default Re: --Preview of Rohan--

Nice Dragut! Well worth the wait! +rep

There's always room to improve, and I think many of the suggestions given here will help you do that. I would really love to see this pics in full detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post

Originally Posted by Monguntiacum
    Warriors have this funny Children Spear

They're javelins, for throwing.
    I think so. But it looks funny.
    So, why these men can´t get a Seax AND the Javelin, something to throw when the uruks coming and something to cut off their bowels if they come to close....

Quote Originally Posted by lennartje View Post
    Looks awesome!
    But for a faction that aims on cavalry, it has a damn load of infantry...
    And those javelins on the Warriors look kinda... well, I would probably laugh to death when they march to me (until they start to throw those tings...)
    I think those axemen should be 'merged' into the warriors, and the warriors shouldn't have the javelins. And perhaps the peasants could have swords, instead of spears?
    Swords are too expensive to waste on peasants. Honestly, do you think Rohan's blacksmiths are going to do all that hard work just for it to be wielded by Mumak fodder?

This is up there with Dwarves and Harad for best-looking preview, IMO.

Saruman the white wizard's Avatar Decanus
    Schouwerzijl, a little village in the north of the Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Caml3 View Post
    Swords are too expensive to waste on peasants. Honestly, do you think Rohan's blacksmiths are going to do all that hard work just for it to be wielded by Mumak fodder?

This is up there with Dwarves and Harad for best-looking preview, IMO.
    In the battle for helmsdeep (In movie) they provided everyone with armour and swords

Eugen's Avatar Laetus

I really like the Units, great work again.

Just one small point: Why do they all have beards?

WOW nice jobs , the units looks good

Because they're all actually shieldmaidens of Rohan, who need beards to cover their disguise!

Wouldn't almost all Rohan men have a sword passed down to them by their forefathers? I know most of them were farmers and stuff, but perhaps for ceremonial reasons at least? But maybe not. I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugen View Post
    I really like the Units, great work again.

Just one small point: Why do they all have beards?
    all rohan warriors in the movies had beards, so

Laetus

Really impressive! Excellent work, I'm impatient to play them! :wink:
    Proud to be Swiss!

DjAci's Avatar Semisalis

Fantactic preview. Excellent units. I am imressed and very happy about what was shown. + rep Dragut, u earn it

Now for some constructive criticism.

1. I agree on the most commented features. The helms, and heads seem a bit large so they look a bit like dwarves. Helms (of lower soldiers) need a bit rework. The shileds are fantastic. U can feel the wood with your eyes.

2. The faces need a bit of work too (not that they are bad) and maybe 1-2 additional hairstyles. There is only 1 hairstyle, hair over shoulders. Maybe a few could have hair tied on the back.

3. My main concern is their roster. The models are superb. Only a few minor tweaks. Nothing big to add. But their roster is a different thing.

3.1 They have MANY unmounted units. They have a ton of spearmen. Ranging from basic militia to heavy royal spears there is a wide choice. They have javelin/axe hybrid warriors, axemen, archers, and hybrid bow/axe royal gurad. Such unmounted unit roster makes for a very good infantry/archer faction. I question myself why build cavalry with so many infantry choices. Almost no weaknesess. Those units better be made very weak or Rohan will become OP and, if a player likes it, easily played as a very good infantry faction.

3.2 They have AVARAGE NUMBER of mounted units. That is not bad in itself. But their cavalry seems so similar. Mostly different tiers of lancers. For a culture so dependent on a horse they have very poor cavalry selection. Pretty much only lancers all the way and 1 heavy horse archer unit. I see no cavalry specialized in hand to hand combat, equipped only with axes (or swords if an elite version). Maybe modifying an existing unit to a hand to hand cavalry (good against other cavalry) might be a good idea. Or maybe use an existing model to create a new one. Current riders with axes maybe??

So there are my joys and concerns about Rohan. Feedback plz
    Last edited by DjAci; March 02, 2009 at 09:36 AM.
    I am slightly obsessed with longbows

do horse archers work against mumakil?

Eugen's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
    all rohan warriors in the movies had beards, so
    But not that long. I really would like some shorter or more different beards. If those units had white hair and red jackets they would look like Santa Claus.

But don´t misunderstand me, i really like the units. It just looks a bit strange, because they all have the same beards in a few different colors.

Quote Originally Posted by DjAci View Post

3.1 They have MANY unmounted units. They have a ton of spearmen. Ranging from basic militia to heavy royal spears there is a wide choice. They have javelin/axe hybrid warriors, axemen, archers, and hybrid bow/axe royal gurad. Such unmounted unit roster makes for a very good infantry/archer faction. I question myself why build cavalry with so many infantry choices. Almost no weaknesess. Those units better be made very weak or Rohan will become OP or easily if a player likes to play that way a very good infantry faction.
    I so agree with that, rohan must be a faction full of calvary units, but making that, you make them easy prey for the halberdmen and spearmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
    I so agree with that, rohan must be a faction full of calvary units, but making that, you make them easy prey for the halberdmen and spearmen.
    You'll have to outflank them then. Or mock them with your horse archers.
    Gameplay > tiny little things

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

Why are there only brown horses? Maybe some white or black ones could be added?

And I agree that Rohan should have more cavalry than infantry units.

Other than that, amazing work!

Quote Originally Posted by lennartje View Post
    You'll have to outflank them then. Or mock them with your horse archers.
    or make behter and hevier calvary

I like the units, but the roster seems somewhat rough, even unfinished. Eight different infantry units but only five cavalry units is an odd ratio for the Riders of Rohan (emphasis on Riders), and some of the names just make no sense. Why is there a 'Rohirrim Infantry' unit when there's also a spearmen and axemen and militia and warriors foot units? Those are all infantry. And why is there a mounted unit named 'Rohirrim'? They're all Rohirrim. That's like having a Roman unit called "Romans." It makes no sense. I think some more thought needs to be put into the roster and the unit names.

The last few previews suggest the team is just rushing pell mell with little attempt made to get things right, which is a shame for such a highly anticipated mod.
    Last edited by cherryfunk; March 02, 2009 at 09:50 AM.

Snipe_'s Avatar Libertus

nice unit, great texture but what would make them even cooler is if u put capes one them, green ones like in the movie

Eöl's Avatar Divide and Conquer
    Artifex

great work, it surprises me you could think of so many non-mounted units. The only little complaint I have about the units is, why they have so many and big beards. Could you make some soldiers in one unit with a beard and some without? Everything else is great!

Under the patronage of Přntifex Maximus