Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4294445464748495051525354
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1080

Thread: -- Preview of Rohan --

Default Re: -- Preview of Rohan - UPDATED --

They look nasty! +rep for everything guys.

HaveFallen's Avatar Centenarius
    In this Island, surrounded by water. Guam!

Ohh yeah!! Best Middle Earth faction forever!!!!
    If I can't cheat, how will I get through school???

Kiljaden's Avatar Centenarius

So, those 5 AOR units... where do they get recruited?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiljaden View Post
    So, those 5 AOR units... where do they get recruited?
    Dismounted Royal Guard (AOR): Edoras
    Riddermark Axemen (AOR): Riddermark
    Helmingas (AOR): Helms Deep
    Riders of the Fold (AOR): Westfold
    Royal Guard (AOR): Edoras

EDIT: if I am wrong please correct me

Quote Originally Posted by King Kily View Post

Riddermark Axemen (AOR): Riddermark
    Not so sure about this one since Riddermark is just another name for Rohan or rather Rohan is just another name for Riddermark.

Other than that, good job.

looking at the strategy map preview it might be edoras as well or foldburg?:scratch:
    maybe one of the team members could answer that

ISA Gunner's Avatar Campidoctor

Also, the riders of the Fold could have come from the Eastfold, not necessarily the Westfold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ISA Gunner View Post
    Also, the riders of the Fold could have come from the Eastfold, not necessarily the Westfold.
    but I'm quite sure that it refers to the battle at the ford of the isen which is at the westfold as far as I know

i like rohan because of their love for horses and being awesome horse riders,etc. I just dont like that there so Nordic/viking type people. I mean with their long blond hair and im pretty sure they say it in the books or in the movies or somewhere i read but they are actually supposed to resemeber like nord mountain type people. I forget another common name for that,sorry. But anyways,im pretty sure you guys get what i mean,anyone else not like that,i mean wait,dont take it wrong,i do like rohan,there my fav "good" faction or tied with dwarfs(HATE THE APPEARENCE AS WELL FOR SWARFS BUT LOVE THEIR PERSONALITY).

On another note though,if dwarves were actually humans or cool looking buff regular sized guys,i think theyd easily be cooler and get more votes and be in the top spots but because they are short and big boned and all that,people dont wanna play em(i assume because i feel that way). I mean cmon,thats kinda the opposite of how Rhun is and look how many votes they have.

Anyways just my 2 cents,not tryin to hate,i have love for almost every faction esp for Rohan and Dwarfs,well not too big of an elf fan(just cause) and Rhun as well(just havent read much on their lore,lack of appearence in movies,etc...yeah not much of a book reader as well )

anyone else feel like this or am i just a loser

christof139's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Tolkien was a Professor of the Anglo-Saxon language and its literary works, and a good one, hence the Germanic flavor to his stories. The Rohirrim were based on the migrating horse-riding people the Goths, the Visigoths in the main, and then he added Anglo-Saxon elements when they settled down in the region that came to be called Rohan. Modern English, German, Dutch-Frisian etc., Anglo-Saxon, Danish-Jute, Swedish-Gothic, Norwiegan, etc. are all part of the Germanic language tree and much of the cultures have simialr elements and names and words. Tolkien also borrowed from Finnish and it seems a bit from ancient Summerian legends, and some Slavic legend and myth and history.

I like the vaguely Celtic elements that PJ threw in in the films for the Rohirrim though.

Kiljaden's Avatar Centenarius

I agree, it seems to me that Rohan's more Celtic than Nordic.

Mithrandir's Avatar Flame of Anor

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    Not so sure about this one since Riddermark is just another name for Rohan or rather Rohan is just another name for Riddermark.
    That's the point, they can be recruited in all Rohan provinces.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

Yeah, Riddermark was Rohirrim's name for their land and Rohan was used by people of Gondor.

Astonishing units. Favorite unit must be the royal guard. Which I think are the same as the Riders of King's house from the rtw fourth age. I was expecting their horses though to be a little more armored, modeled like the Riders of the King's house, which is my favorite cavalry unit.

xhaxhi Skenderbeu

Default Re: -- Preview of Rohan --

I had a few thoughts on The Riddermark that I wanted to express:

First, awesome job on the faction guys! It is right on where I imagined it to be...with only one exception being that I thought it would be harder to get infantry in the beginning and not so hard to gather cavalry. But that is only a MINOR thing...seriously.

Second, the military of The Mark is AWESOME. It is a wonderful mix of many types of units, with one of my favorite being the Helmingas Archers. These guys just stomp some serious Uruk-Hai butt. The variety of Cavalry is amazing, with cavalry suited to various jobs and each one is useful even after the next has been unlocked.

I wanted to focus on the Characters too. I really like how you added the unique Ancillary attributes to various characters. Also, having recently changed the Hit Points of the General Units I think was a good thing; because previously the Generals could ride down almost any enemy without blinking...and using several generals in each army (as I do) made things a tad too easy. Good call.

The layout of Rohan was also well thought out I think. The provinces and lay of the land is amazing, it is a blast to battle in the lands of Rohan against Isengard before branching out and fighting other nations too.

I had a suggestion for an Ancillary you guys might want to use too:

Wormtongue: you could give Theoden, or even Theoden's father, (with a script) once he becomes King this Ancillary. It would both benefit and hinder the King. Maybe give him -2 to his Hit Points (slowly poisoning the King) but also give him a bonus to Trade and Farming or something (Grima using what he has learned from Saruman to get into the good graces of Theoden). If you could manage to remove the Ancillary when Isengard was destroyed, I think it would be a cool addition to the game.

Something else I wanted to suggest for Rohan, and I'm shooting myself in the foot for doing it, is limiting their naval ability. In all of Middle-Earth, there wasn't a Northman culture that knew ANYTHING about sailing really. Only the Men of Numenor and the Elves were truly sailors...or the decendants in such places as Gondor and Umbar. At BEST I would allow the Kingdom of Rohan to possess Longboats...and perhaps leave out the Dragonships all together. If you could manage something even smaller, I would vote for that too. Maybe even only allow them to construct ports to use for trade, but not even allow them ships at all...except mercenary ships perhaps.

The other suggestion I had was making ONLY Helms Deep a Castle structure for The Mark. I don't know Middle-Earth lore all that well, but I THOUGHT Helm's Deep was the only true fortification the Rohirrim had to their name. I think it would be better if the other starting castles were instead changed simply to villages or towns for Rohan to reflect more their attitude toward civilization; i.e. that only the elderly and women with very young children would be in such places alongside craftsmen and such, while the men would be out herding their horses and other livestock in their semi-nomadic fashion. If I'm wrong on the types of settlements in Rohan, I apologize...only going by foggy memory here.

Also, one thing I thought would be an excellent addition to the game would be to cut off the "Pass" between Rohan and Gondor where the Paths of the Dead is. Instead, I would suggest you put a minimal population settlement there with a MASSIVE Army there consisting of troops that a single stack wouldn't be able to hope to defeat...or even two stacks.

It would require you to invent a new Undead unit type, but I think it would be a nice fit. Also it would prevent people from sweeping into Rohan from the south if Gondor fell...or into Gondor from the north if Rohan fell. As an alternative, you could simply close off the mountains there all together and simply not worry about it. I just think that the Paths of the Dead being wide open like that makes for easy access that can be exploited too easily.

Not TRULY related to Rohan, but something to think about, is the use of the "Other" nationality for provinces that start the game as Bandits/Rebels. By making more of the provinces surrounding places like Rohan to have a majority of "Other" faction in the population will make it somewhat more difficult to conquer these regions that historically were not "Northman" at all.

Last thing, and I'm not even sure you would be able to manage it within the context of the program you have at your disposal; but in the event that Minas Tirith is attacked by Mordor and/or taken, is it possible for a "Crusade/Jihad" to be scripted so that a general (or generals) of Rohan could "Join" to retake Minas Tirith? And if such happened, would it be possible to instantly get special Rohirrim "Mercenary" units to join the generals stack by being "called up to arms" for the event?

I just think that would be the coolest thing in the world.

EDIT: very sorry for the suggestions here...will post them in the correct place.
    Last edited by Andrik; August 23, 2009 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Found the "Suggestions" Sticky!

I noticed that "rohan spearmen," are available in custom combat, but not in the campaign. I've installed the 1.2 patch, and i'm on turn 90, but only the militia spearmen are available, not the better rohan spearmen. Is this normal?

abbews's Avatar The Screen Door Slams

Quote Originally Posted by saltjunkie77 View Post
    I noticed that "rohan spearmen," are available in custom combat, but not in the campaign. I've installed the 1.2 patch, and i'm on turn 90, but only the militia spearmen are available, not the better rohan spearmen. Is this normal?
    Yes it's, I can't rememer exactly why the Rohan Spearmen weren't in campaign, but I have heard that the reason was that they were to similr to Rohan Militia. Correct me if I'm wrong.

baz44331's Avatar Ordinarius

These textures are very good. but they badly need more colour, they're too plain, more brass and gold and some red in there too. and these units would look the part, they are way too plain,
    Last edited by baz44331; January 01, 2011 at 04:58 AM.

What a difference!